Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Red tint issue on my Rog 2

ag_954gupta
Star III
IA5YE60FWGSK.jpg
E9IGMQ0U9GR1.jpg
I recently received the Rog 2 Indian unit, and while tinkering with the brightness I found something weird, that is if I set the brightness from 0-50% the dark grey Colors (like the ones used in google apps for dark mode, and the dark grey color used in the notification bar of the Rog if the system theme is set to dark)
The dark grey Colors at lower brightness (i.e from 0-50%) seems to be reddish.
Below I have attached two pics, take of the Rog 2.

The app used was inshorts (in its dark mode) the one with dark grey color is the real color of the app seen above 50% brightness and the other reddish tint is seen from 0% brightness.
P.s it's not the wallpaper or any specific app it happens with any wallpaper, any app which uses the dark grey color(like google photos, Goole play store dark etc.)  and it can be seen at lower brightness. The thing was very hard to click on camera but I still clicked it.

It's something similar to the S8 red tint and the pixel blue tint.
Yes, in the Rog telegram group I did find another person who has the same issue and hence it seems like a fault from Asus.
Also I tried reaching Asus but as usual they aren't replying.
216 REPLIES 216

OPC
Zen Master II
My Note 8 is up to date and the yellowish hue is still there. I tested my Rog 2 screen and it's absolutely fine. The red tint is there but as you sad not that pronounced and it doesn't affect regular usage.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
OPC

My Note 8 is up to date and the yellowish hue is still there. I tested my Rog 2 screen and it's absolutely fine. The red tint is there but as you sad not that pronounced and it doesn't affect regular usage.

View post
Sad to say buying a device using AMOLED screen is like a lottery, you can check this reddit post.
r/Android - OLED LotteryYou either get a really good set with less noticeable red tint...and less lines with good grey uniformity. Or you are like this person who got a really bad screen with so much red tint.
which is why I suggest exchanging it for a new unit. To me a screen that bad is a defect.

staradhish
Rising Star I
It's an hardware issue, not a software issue. If it would have been a software issue Asus should have fixed by now, it's already been 5 months since the launch. Also there is no official response from Asus, if this is a software issue and can be fixed, why is Asus hesitating in fixing it or even talking about it.

OPC
Zen Master II
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/31373#Comment_31373

Sad to say buying a device using AMOLED screen is like a lottery, you can check this reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/65hvua/oled_lottery/

You either get a really good set with less noticeable red tint...and less lines with good grey uniformity. Or you are like this person who got a really bad screen with so much red tint.

which is why I suggest exchanging it for a new unit. To me a screen that bad is a defect.

View post
jetjosh92, here is a screenshot of the fast menu background colour where the red tint is present. I would appreciate to hear your opinion on this
LKB4M9J5HH5I.jpg

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
OPC

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/31386#Comment_31386

jetjosh92, here is a screenshot of the fast menu background colour where the red tint is present. I would appreciate to hear your opinion on this

LKB4M9J5HH5I.jpg

View post
I am sorry I don’t really see the tint because it is a screenshot and not a photo taken by another camera or a phone under a low light environment. You will definitely notice it using another device or a camera. Sometimes our eyes just won’t be able to pick it up.
This is the nature of Amoled, so I do agree that every Amoled device will have this, but as one of us mentioned, to what degree and how bad? So it depends on your chances of getting a bad unit or a good unit.
But I believe Asus can teak the colors for their theme/UI. I am using the stock theme with dark mode. I compared Google’s incognito tab to the Notification drop down and immediately you can tell that Chrome’s incognito tab is way way better than the UI. So I am just thinking they can tweak it.
For the guy who posted his photos for this thread, I say it is bad screen because it not only has red tint all over and it is more than obvious. That unit also has a grey uniformity issue where you can see the lines on the screen.
If it is really that bad and affecting you, please exchange it. This isn’t normal…
Normal is a slight red tint with good grey uniformity…which shouldn’t affect us that much and is not very visible.
Side track a bit…
 I know many of us had been comparing the ROG phone to other devices like the One+ but if you have owned a one+ device or been on the forums and checking out reviews. You would know that One+ did not start out with 0 issues. They had grey uniformity issues with their screens. One+ did make some changes to their quality control. Go search linus on youtube and watch his visit to One+
There is one staff placed on every point of the assembly line dedicated to check a part of the device as it goes through assembly, from the screen to other parts of the device. They will reject any screen that fails their test. I am not sure if Asus is doing this but that is where your One+ consistency comes from.
Oh one last thing, sorry I don’t agree with Asus for saying that it is not a problem because you use your device at 60% or 80% brightness..most of us use your device at night for reading and chatting with our love ones before going to bed and we will definitely not use 60% or 80% brightness in bed in a low light environment and damage our eyes. 
I wish I still had my Gen One ROG phone to show you guys the comparison between what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.