This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PSA] Take caution - Tencent-branded Chinese models with "Global/International ROM"

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi all

We have come to notice there are resellers selling the so-called "Tencent ROG Phone II"-models for the Chinese market with "International ROM".

We would like to make clear that ASUS does not officially sell any Tencent-branded ROG Phone II with so called "International ROM" or "Global firmware".
We cannot guarantee the functionality of this combination , if you are facing any type of issues - please turn to your reseller where you bought this device - as this is is not a combination we are selling.

Please also take careful note that updates/FOTA functionality will be disabled since the ROM and the models dont match, some resellers note this in the fine-print.. some may not..

Extra info:
If you are seeing anything about a "Global ROM version" or "Tencent with Global/WW ROM" it would be a clear giveaway.
159 REPLIES 159

omer_siton
Star III
alien_vs_dolan

I just purchased a ROG phone 2 tencent version, seller said that global rom is installed and I will get updates. However I just found out that OTA update is not possible. So I tried to update manually but update failed. Moreover I tried to unlock bootloader but getting unknown error, network issue. Can anyone help?

View post
Look at what I wrote up here

wwwru98
Star I
omer.siton

I have the tencent version and it came with global rom. I noticed I couldn't upgrade my firmware using FOTA/OTA. I tried to figure out why is that like this, and I discovered that the seller didn't *fully* converted to the WW firmware - which means that the fingerprint of the phone is still CN.

I did some research and found a video says "How to fully convert ROG Phone 2 Tencent edition to global rom", followed the steps and now I have FOTA/OTA updates and all the themes unlocked!?

Btw: sorry for my english?

View post
Can you please put the link to the vídeo , you would make my day ?

MadDuke
Star II
Rajat Kumar

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/29327#Comment_29327

I do believe the mistake is all yours considering the fact that asus already mentioned tencent is for China specific only and all other regions will receive the global version with ROG mentioned in place of Tencent.

So as a Customer you must cross check that and be aware about whats happening.

Totally on Asus's side as its not their fault but a glitch which got used by resellers to earn quick profits

View post
It was not mentioned it was Tencent version on the link
It was mentioned it was International version. Not International ROM or anything similar.
Asus didn't even put the PSA at that point.
Asus has no incentive to stop the sales of the same listing since it brings them money.

duy_h_vu
Rising Star I
MadDuke

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/29485#Comment_29485

1. It was not mentioned it was Tencent version on the link
  2. It was mentioned it was International version. Not International ROM or anything similar.
  3. Asus didn't even put the PSA at that point.
  4. Asus has no incentive to stop the sales of the same listing since it brings them money.

View post
1. If it doesn't mention then it's the seller fault.
2.Same as 1. Still seller fault.
3. PSA been there on top of the forum for a while. The phone has Tencent printed on the back. Pretty hard to miss. It's not like you have to look at the model number /code to find out.
4. Asus already sold those to the seller. They don't really care if you buy it or don't buy it. And it is up to the website (fleabay, alli, gearbest....) To do something about wrong posting.
Most cell phone company has regional different phone. Samsung has different chipset inside (snapdragon or exynox) some with 1 sim some with 2 for the same model, and you can't jut tell by the "Tencent" logo on the back. Stop being butt hurt and either return it to buy the right region phone or learn how to mod it. Asus released bootloader unlock already. Some company refused to do so (the two big boys).

Caruso
Star II
omer.siton

I have the tencent version and it came with global rom. I noticed I couldn't upgrade my firmware using FOTA/OTA. I tried to figure out why is that like this, and I discovered that the seller didn't *fully* converted to the WW firmware - which means that the fingerprint of the phone is still CN.

I did some research and found a video says "How to fully convert ROG Phone 2 Tencent edition to global rom", followed the steps and now I have FOTA/OTA updates and all the themes unlocked!?

Btw: sorry for my english?

View post
I did the same everything working perfect 🙂
LP_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/27362#Comment_27362

If the back of the phone says "Tencent", it is one of the unsupported configurations we are talking about here. Only the Tencent models intended for sale and use in China have that labeling on the back.

Please contact your reseller for a refund.

View post
Dear support Team,
Something is not clear for me. Amazon officially selling 128/8GB ram Tencent phones. I've purchased from there. All working fine.
Now question: TENCENT PHONES it's not official ASUS Phones? Someone made them at backyard or what? I really don't understand difference between ASUS REPUBLIC of GAMERS backside logo phones and TENCENT GAMES logo phones. Only this is clear for me - one is International one is Chinese but doest this phone is official Asus company products or is a good Chinese replica of original ASUS ROG 2 Phone phones? Who makes this ASUS TENCENT Phones?

P.S Panic reason is because someone installed on Chinese Phone International firmware?