This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "GSM Only International Version" mean?

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
Hi people. I'm looking at this Amazon post:
Amazon.com: ASUS ROG Phone 2 (ZS660KL) Smartphone 512GB ROM 12GB RAM Snapdragon 855 Plus 6000 mAh NF...Of an Asus Rog Phone 2 that says "GSM Only International Version". What does that mean? Does it mean it won´t work with 4G/LTE connections? I'm asking because theres another version of the phone that is the "LTE Unlocked" one.

Thanks for your response.

14 REPLIES 14

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
gonzaaa.92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/29325#Comment_29325

What I'll probably do is wait until I have the product in my hands, test it and if it's what I asked for and everything work correctly, I'm not returning it. In any other scenario I'll.

View post
The key thing to look for is the Tencent logo on the back. If it doesn't have that, you have the Worldwide version of the device. You would still be out of warranty for repairs, but we could help you with software issues. Having a worldwide phone would be a much more positive scenario than the Tencent edition.

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
LP_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/29508#Comment_29508

The key thing to look for is the Tencent logo on the back. If it doesn't have that, you have the Worldwide version of the device. You would still be out of warranty for repairs, but we could help you with software issues. Having a worldwide phone would be a much more positive scenario than the Tencent edition.

View post
As I said I highly doubt it's the Tencent Edition making the seller a fraud since he has a great reputation. But if it all goes wrong I'll let you guys know. I just wanted to know which is the difference between the GSM Only International Version and the LTE Unlocked one.

OPC
Zen Master II
Best of luck! To my awareness, every Rog 2 supports LTE, except for VoLTE functionality in some countries. There is no such thing as GSM only. Maybe it's just the awkward selection of words saying VoLTE will not function.
Go to Kimovil website and look for Rog Phone 2. There in technical specification you will find if the phone supports LTE bands used by carriers in your country. I saw that, unlike Tencent version, the international version support ALL LTE bands used in my country and EU countries I travel to. I still don't have VoLTE though. I have tried 2 out of 3 carriers. Apart from that, unlike many complaining here, I have an amazing phone without bugs that functions as it was supposed to. I actually tried to replicate some bugs described here, like DTS switching off, and I couldn't. I hope you will have the same experience!

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
OPC

Best of luck! To my awareness, every Rog 2 supports LTE, except for VoLTE functionality in some countries. There is no such thing as GSM only. Maybe it's just the awkward selection of words saying VoLTE will not function.

Go to Kimovil website and look for Rog Phone 2. There in technical specification you will find if the phone supports LTE bands used by carriers in your country. I saw that, unlike Tencent version, the international version support ALL LTE bands used in my country and EU countries I travel to. I still don't have VoLTE though. I have tried 2 out of 3 carriers. Apart from that, unlike many complaining here, I have an amazing phone without bugs that functions as it was supposed to. I actually tried to replicate some bugs described here, like DTS switching off, and I couldn't. I hope you will have the same experience!

View post
Thanks for your wishes! I've checked that out and the phone should run under 4G/LTE connections with my Carrier. Thanks once again for your care.

OPC
Zen Master II
Welcome! I like to help if I can.