This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PSA] Take caution - Tencent-branded Chinese models with "Global/International ROM"

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi all

We have come to notice there are resellers selling the so-called "Tencent ROG Phone II"-models for the Chinese market with "International ROM".

We would like to make clear that ASUS does not officially sell any Tencent-branded ROG Phone II with so called "International ROM" or "Global firmware".
We cannot guarantee the functionality of this combination , if you are facing any type of issues - please turn to your reseller where you bought this device - as this is is not a combination we are selling.

Please also take careful note that updates/FOTA functionality will be disabled since the ROM and the models dont match, some resellers note this in the fine-print.. some may not..

Extra info:
If you are seeing anything about a "Global ROM version" or "Tencent with Global/WW ROM" it would be a clear giveaway.
159 REPLIES 159

alfred7209
Star III
omer.siton

I have the tencent version and it came with global rom. I noticed I couldn't upgrade my firmware using FOTA/OTA. I tried to figure out why is that like this, and I discovered that the seller didn't *fully* converted to the WW firmware - which means that the fingerprint of the phone is still CN.

I did some research and found a video says "How to fully convert ROG Phone 2 Tencent edition to global rom", followed the steps and now I have FOTA/OTA updates and all the themes unlocked!?

Btw: sorry for my english?

View post
can You put the video link .. please

MadDuke
Star II
Guys, realize.
Asus has it best when you buy a Tencent version.
They've sold the phone and made money
They resufe to provide support so they don't loos money on support
They don't care about you.

eesamad729

problem to sign in my google account with mobile data but with wifi can and problem with open app YouTube....my phone version is tencent edition anyone please help me

View post
Check if your APN under Mobile Network is OK. You can google it from your carrier and then enter it the phone if it's a mismatch.

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
MadDuke

Guys, realize.

1. They've sold the phone and made money
  2. They resufe to provide support so they don't loos money on support
  3. They don't care about you.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/28594#Comment_28594

Check if your APN under Mobile Network is OK. You can google it from your carrier and then enter it the phone if it's a mismatch.

View post
We're advising everyone to return the units if they happened to buy one.
We can't support a unit that is out of warranty because it has been flashed to firmware it was not designed to run on. We can't even provide a tool to flash it back because the flash is so risky. Let alone lack of parts, the hardware inside is not identical.
We absolutely do care, and are going out of our way to be clear about the problem and what to do to solve it.
You bought your unit from a third party, not ASUS.

Rajat_Kumar
Zen Master I
MadDuke

Guys, realize.

1. They've sold the phone and made money
  2. They resufe to provide support so they don't loos money on support
  3. They don't care about you.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/28594#Comment_28594

View post
I do believe the mistake is all yours considering the fact that asus already mentioned tencent is for China specific only and all other regions will receive the global version with ROG mentioned in place of Tencent.
So as a Customer you must cross check that and be aware about whats happening.
Totally on Asus's side as its not their fault but a glitch which got used by resellers to earn quick profits

omer_siton
Star III