This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning, Killer power bank watch out, awaiting fix

evnchn
Rising Star II
Image_ https___us.v-cdn.net_6031231_uploads_editor_t5_w3b4d3erb4xq.jpg25dhjxyr8alg.jpgThis power bank does not obey Quick Charge standards and outputs 12V, knowing that this phone only have 9V input, you know the consequences. Once killed my phone, luckily it was within 10 days of purchase and I was able to return it after it self-recovered for 2 days and refuse to fast charge anymore. Using my phone I can verify it bugs out all the time. If you have this power bank, stop using IMMEDIATELY / only use slow charge port. 
Meanwhile, ASUS, can you do some software safety to guard the device from problematic chargers? Maybe you can stop the the charging when voltage requested by QC does not match power bank real output voltage and does not trigger hardware safety. 
9 REPLIES 9

evnchn
Rising Star II
Starts with 5V
Phone requests 9V
Power supply rises to 12V (≈+0.2V per 0.5s)
Phone does not interrupt charging
Disaster
ASUS, if you want to have easier debugging QC, I can lend you my Quick Charge analyzer, PM me if needed. 

ColorSage
Zen Master I
Okay, thanks for clarification. My QC charger can deliver up to 12V and my phone hasn't fried yet so I guess charging control works fine.

_jis_
Zen Master III
My other QC 3.0 charger can deliver up to 12V too and my phone hasn't any problem with charging from this charger.

evnchn
Rising Star II
evnchn

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/9793/warning-killer-power-bank-watch-out-awaiting-fix

1. (Further understanding of QC3.0 protocol, contents of old Post may not be valid) Took that power bank apart and looked up the chip number. The chip was little buggy the manufacturer admits, as it outputs 7.3V upon entering QC3.0 continuous mode. It is still in the specs though. I can charge other device because those device observe the voltage and request higher / lower voltage accordingly. It seems like Zenfone 6 does not observe the voltage given by the source supply and requests higher voltage rather blindly (requests 20 times +0.2V from 5V to 9V). Try and change that. This can have extended benefits as some cables which have high resistance lose some voltage, and observing the input voltage at the phones basically compensates for that.

2. The phone cranks down the charging current if CPU/GPU working and heat dissipation is not enough. Perhaps allow the user to set charging to take priority in lighter processor loads, so that the CPU and GPU clocks gets cranked down instead, maintaining the fast charging.

If you don't understand what is happening from my observations, you can comment below

Charging and thermal suggested change
BTW my content in this post may be incorrect, I have read some more info on QC3. Refer to new post.

sixth_pr1m3
Rising Star II
That powerbank looks so legit that I won't even connect it to the power socket for charging the powerbank itself. *explosive laugh*