This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play services battery drain issue

klynkrishnaa
Star II
I feel many of proud ROG 2 Users are struggling with the same issue as mine. Play services is consuming a humongous amount of battery. Don't even know which of the apps internally is using the data from play services. I have turned off Auto sync, Turned off Location sharing, turned off Google Fit, Turned off Ads personalisation and opted out of IBA. Yet battery is drained the most by Play services. There is no option to optimise the battery usage by Play Services.

@Asus Team.. Need an immediate update for this. Doesn't feel like a 6000mah phone. ??
Attached are my battery stats
VD5Y4JJDHGQG.jpg

43 REPLIES 43

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
OPC

I wanted to buy Tencent version because the ram and memory would be enough and the price was tempting. Several Chinese vendor have stock in Europe. Luckily I investigated the matter and discovered that Tencent versions has no band 20. That makes it useless in Europe, or at least limited in operation. So I decided to go with the international version. But Asus shop in Europe is only available in certain countries. Those shops don't ship to the rest of the European Union, which in my opinion should be the case as the EU is a single market area. Official Asus vendors in Croatia (my country) had no idea about the phone. So there was no way to get the phone I really wanted. At the end my cousin from USA was coming over for a visit and he bought the phone for me in the USA. The phone works flawlessly so far. But in theory if something would go wrong I would have no possibility to repair it in Europe but would have to send it back to USA which makes no economical sense. I believe if we have a legitimate "international" product, with a valid proof of purchase, we should be able to fix it at any Asus center worldwide.

View post
I hear you and we know that you aren't the only user in this situation. At the moment, only select laptops have an International warranty. Hopefully we can move in that direction in the future.
I agree with you 100% on the EU situation specifically. If you live in Croatia and buy the phone in Germany, it still needs to be repaired in Germany. I wish we had a less regional system.

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
bkagalaxy91

Well i'm glad i found this topic..

5YSYP0BPJQM0.jpg

I never even noticed GooglePS to consume much battery. I got mine ( 128 GB Tencent version) - though it came with the WW Software on it. Till now didn't have any problems with battery, i find it quite allright.

Got now 5 Hrs 35 Mins for Google Play Services and battery consume is on " 2 % " for it.

I have one only problem though. I use Android Auto together with Waze - before on my Galaxy Note 8 i didn't have any GPS Signal loss issues, now it's losing GPS signal in Waze like every 10 seconds ( fixed it with GPS Locker ) . A.Auto and Google Maps functions without problems. Guess it's a bug or something, cause Waze is allowed to run in background, no battery optimization restrictions or smthng.

View post
Do other GPS apps function properly? Are you only having issues with Waze?

bkagalaxy91
Star I
LP_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/25770#Comment_25770

Do other GPS apps function properly? Are you only having issues with Waze?

View post
Yes, they do. At least as far as i know. Apps that require Location service are working normally, as i mentioned only had trouble with Waze, but got it fixed with a GPS Locker app, that fixes the satelites with the best signal. In the meantime today a read on other sites also, it may be a problem with Android Auto latest update on 9.0 PIE , other users had also problems with different devices, so i think it's not related to ROG 2 🙂 . Till now i am super happy with this little beast ?

Vaibhav_Charde
Star II
I have battery drain issue after new software update on 22 December 2019

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
Currently using ROG Phone 2 but I am not facing this issue after 2 months of use. I am also using other brands of phone like LG and Huawei but no issues with google play. I turned off quite a number of things. No automatic updates even over wi-fi. I update my apps myself. I check for updates only once or twice a week.