This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play services battery drain issue

klynkrishnaa
Star II
I feel many of proud ROG 2 Users are struggling with the same issue as mine. Play services is consuming a humongous amount of battery. Don't even know which of the apps internally is using the data from play services. I have turned off Auto sync, Turned off Location sharing, turned off Google Fit, Turned off Ads personalisation and opted out of IBA. Yet battery is drained the most by Play services. There is no option to optimise the battery usage by Play Services.

@Asus Team.. Need an immediate update for this. Doesn't feel like a 6000mah phone. ??
Attached are my battery stats
VD5Y4JJDHGQG.jpg

43 REPLIES 43

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
deodatsss

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/25232#Comment_25232

Thanks, noted on this.

I found the culprit. I use VPN services. It logs in battery usage as Google Play Store instead of my VPN app. Another is MicroG app for YT Vanced. After testing my phone without these apps running, I got my normal usage back. 8 hours of mobile data and wifi usage with at least 2 hours of gaming on max settings.

I did see from another thread that Asus does not configure the Tencent version with global rom, but I bought my Tencent version with global ROM out of the box - no flashing required. The box was 100% sealed no sign of being opened. Could you explain why there are devices that have these? I ran a SafetyNet test and it went fine.

View post
It's fairly easy to reseal a box, as unfortunate as that is. It means that your reseller likely bought some phones in China, and flashed them to WW before they put them back in the box.
The serial number more than likely means you won't have warranty coverage unless you're living in China (I can verify the serial if you'd like). Just because the software is stable now doesn't mean it will be in the future, and at that time we really won't have any way to help you. The Tencent model was purpose built to be sold in China on CN firmware.
If a return is still an option, I HIGHLY recommend it. Then get a global ROG Phone II in your region, with warranty support.

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
I should clarify that I don't want to throw your reseller under the bus here. They might have unwittingly bought these devices from someone else thinking they were official.

deodatsss
Star III

LP_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/25289#Comment_25289

It's fairly easy to reseal a box, as unfortunate as that is. It means that your reseller likely bought some phones in China, and flashed them to WW before they put them back in the box.

The serial number more than likely means you won't have warranty coverage unless you're living in China (I can verify the serial if you'd like). Just because the software is stable now doesn't mean it will be in the future, and at that time we really won't have any way to help you. The Tencent model was purpose built to be sold in China on CN firmware.

If a return is still an option, I HIGHLY recommend it. Then get a global ROG Phone II in your region, with warranty support.

View post
Thank you for clarifying, this is very informative!
The main reason I bought the Tencent version is because I do not really need the aerocooler and the additional 4gigs of RAM - I just need the extra battery capacity and the smooth display performance.
Kudos to my reseller/dealer for giving a 1 year warranty should there be any problems that show up.

OPC
Zen Master II
I wanted to buy Tencent version because the ram and memory would be enough and the price was tempting. Several Chinese vendor have stock in Europe. Luckily I investigated the matter and discovered that Tencent versions has no band 20. That makes it useless in Europe, or at least limited in operation. So I decided to go with the international version. But Asus shop in Europe is only available in certain countries. Those shops don't ship to the rest of the European Union, which in my opinion should be the case as the EU is a single market area. Official Asus vendors in Croatia (my country) had no idea about the phone. So there was no way to get the phone I really wanted. At the end my cousin from USA was coming over for a visit and he bought the phone for me in the USA. The phone works flawlessly so far. But in theory if something would go wrong I would have no possibility to repair it in Europe but would have to send it back to USA which makes no economical sense. I believe if we have a legitimate "international" product, with a valid proof of purchase, we should be able to fix it at any Asus center worldwide.

bkagalaxy91
Star I
Well i'm glad i found this topic..
5YSYP0BPJQM0.jpg
I never even noticed GooglePS to consume much battery. I got mine ( 128 GB Tencent version) - though it came with the WW Software on it. Till now didn't have any problems with battery, i find it quite allright.
Got now 5 Hrs 35 Mins for Google Play Services and battery consume is on " 2 % " for it.
I have one only problem though. I use Android Auto together with Waze - before on my Galaxy Note 8 i didn't have any GPS Signal loss issues, now it's losing GPS signal in Waze like every 10 seconds ( fixed it with GPS Locker ) . A.Auto and Google Maps functions without problems. Guess it's a bug or something, cause Waze is allowed to run in background, no battery optimization restrictions or smthng.