cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE

ZT-24e7d75a
Star III
Hello,
I know this topic has been discussed before, but no proper solution has been offered. In the USA, the 3 major carriers are Verizon, ATT, and TMobile. In 2020, Verizon is shutting down 3g (CDMA) and ATT is starting to shut their 3G down as well. TMobile appears to be retaining some of their 3G infrastructure, but will be limiting available bandwidth as well as ceasing to expand the 3G network further.

With this said, TMobile allows for unlocked phones (Pixel, Nubia Red Magic) to function with VoLTE, thus the carrier appears to be working with manufacturers. ATT and Verizon want all their new activations to be on LTE as their networks are shutting down.

This $900 phone (ROG 2) will no longer function as a phone in the USA without VoLTE very shortly. I understand WiFi calling and certain bands are difficult to obtain, but without VoLTE on any carrier, this phone simply will not work. This is extremely worrying for customers who may not realize the importance of VoLTE and find themselves unable to make calls.
I know it is a 2 way street, but there has to be a way to get VoLTE working atleast on TMobile. XDA, Reddit, and this forum have numerous individuals requesting this necessary feature. Sales are most definitely hurting because of the lack of VoLTE.

Please allow the community to continue to use the phone by getting the proper certs in place. I feel if we are willing to support your brand new $900 phone, we should in the very least get basic voice functionality.

Thank you for your time,
Edward
14 REPLIES 14

Android
Rising Star I
"This is not a feature that is wanted, rather needed for basic phone operations."
I wholeheartedly agree. This is why I'm currently waiting for a statement. If I could just hear that ROG Phone II will have VoLTE working on T-Mobile then it's an easy purchase for me. A $900 phone to stop working the following year is a bit too much...

ZT-24e7d75a
Star III
For those following, ASUS rep just called me (I have been emailing on top of commenting here) so hopefully this is actually working!
Edward.

ZT-24e7d75a
Star III
I just got off the phone with a supervisor who had some insight to my previous queries regarding VoLTE. His words not mine, ASUS is not currently attempting to get VoLTE functioning on this phone in the US. No future plans are being made for this. He was unable to give him specifics regarding a memorandum ASUS put out regarding concern over connectivity in the US, but stated that they (ASUS) are aware of the issue and will not be seeking further solutions.
I did my best to express how Verizon 3G doesnt function, ATT 3G will shortly stop working, and that TMobile is only offering a brief window before their 3G shutdown. I further explained that TMobile 3G is really only good for a small percentage of the US and that the vast majority of US cities will not be able to properly utilize it for voice calling. We went further into details on how those 3 companies are the only options in the US as smaller companies just "rent and borrow" tower bandwidth.

With all this said, it appears ASUS is aware this phone will not have voice functionality in the United States and for whatever reason, is unable or unwilling to fix it.
Edward

Jango52517
Star III
LP_ASUS

This topic has been discussed before. A longer thread is here https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/19879#Comment_19879.

To answer your post, we are aware that this is a frequently requested feature. I can't comment on any future plans, but we hear you.

View post
After hours of research and hours of commenting and seeing all of ASUS's lack of response or care I can full heartedly say that ASUS does NOT care about its customers, thinks that we're all idiots, and sees us as walking dollar signs... The ROG Phone 1 was abandoned the moment the ROG Phone 2 entered development (they're not even on Pie yet), the ROG Phone to is being sold IN A VIRTUALLY UNUSABLE STATE, and ASUS literally does not care, they either give cookie cutter responses or flat out say we hear you but we also already have your money and don't really care that you need this basic functionality and we aren't going to attempt to fix it or even make a statement because the customers aren't worth even that much....
I'm genuinely hurt by how ASUS has been treating us. I was a big fan before this but honestly at this point I think I might cease any purchase and use of any and all ASUS products, perhaps that's a bit extreme but the only way I can make an impact is with my wallet.
If ASUS fixes this maybe I'd give em a shot but can i really expect anything better than this crap that theyre already pulling in the future?

cheetah2k
Rising Star II
Not sure why you're all panicking. Seems Tmobile and AT&T can't discontinue the service until 2022..