This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ScreenXpert bugs and frustration (UX482EAR)

Rodnei
Star II
System: ZenBook Duos
Battery or AC: 60% ("Modo de resolução máxima" configuration in MyASUS to save battery life)
Model: UX482EAR (Brazil)
Frequency of occurrence: all the time unless ScreenXpert is permanently disable (preventing the service from starting up with Windows)
Reset OS: What?
Screenshot or video: annexed
========================
Detailed description:
First post here, just to vent it out.
Zenbook Duo UX482EAR Brazilian version, bougth less than 2 months ago.
After several Windows reinstallations i finally figured out my problem, the buggy ScreenXpert is the culprit. It's a very specific problem, but it was preventing me of utilize the notebook to work with (wich was the purpose of the purchase in the first place).
I work with medical images and my main source of them is in a website. When i open an exam i need to drag and drop the thumbnails of the various sequences of the exam and distribute them in their fields, then analyse then. To be clear, IT'S JUST A WEBSITE RUNNING IN A BROWSER, nothing too fancy, it always had just worked with any computer with any version of Windows, Linux, OSX
Except with my brand new Zenbook Duo. You can see how it behaves in the video annexed below. It happens in ANY browser, EDGE, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, it happens even if the browser is running inside a virtualized Windows with VMWare.
After 5 windows reinstallations and updating and drivers and MYAsus and everything else, i finally found the problem: the touch of the secondary screen, or the driver or god knows what, i don't know why, interferes in some very specific and bizarre way with dragging things in the aforementioned website. It happens in the main screen, in the secondary screen, in the external monitor i have, it happens with bluetooth mouse, with USB mouse, with the integrated touchpad...
When the two HID touch devices in Device Manager are disabled, the problem is solved (i just need to reopen the webpage).
But then enters the horrible ScreenXpert software, wich reenables the HID touch devices in Device Manager by itself every time the windows screen blocks (very annoying), and the problem returns.
There is no way to configure or manage the ScreenXpert software apart from the very limited interface in the secondary screen. There is no way to control this misbehaved software, wich by the way install itself automatticaly with windows update.
My final solution is to disable ScreenXpert software permanently in msconfig, preventing its services from starting up, without it i can't control the brightness of the secondary screen, but at least i don't need to disable the secundary touch screen in Device Manager many times a day to be able to access a simples website.
9 REPLIES 9

Falcon_ASUS
Rodnei
  1. System: ZenBook Duos
  2. Battery or AC: 60% ("Modo de resolução máxima" configuration in MyASUS to save battery life)
  3. Model: UX482EAR (Brazil)
  4. Frequency of occurrence: all the time unless ScreenXpert is permanently disable (preventing the service from starting up with Windows)
  5. Reset OS: What?
  6. Screenshot or video: annexed

========================

Detailed description:

First post here, just to vent it out.

Zenbook Duo UX482EAR Brazilian version, bougth less than 2 months ago.

After several Windows reinstallations i finally figured out my problem, the buggy ScreenXpert is the culprit. It's a very specific problem, but it was preventing me of utilize the notebook to work with (wich was the purpose of the purchase in the first place).

I work with medical images and my main source of them is in a website. When i open an exam i need to drag and drop the thumbnails of the various sequences of the exam and distribute them in their fields, then analyse then. To be clear, IT'S JUST A WEBSITE RUNNING IN A BROWSER, nothing too fancy, it always had just worked with any computer with any version of Windows, Linux, OSX

Except with my brand new Zenbook Duo. You can see how it behaves in the video annexed below. It happens in ANY browser, EDGE, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, it happens even if the browser is running inside a virtualized Windows with VMWare.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031231/uploads/1KFZ4KT1V6R5/2022-12-03-22-37-31.mp4

After 5 windows reinstallations and updating and drivers and MYAsus and everything else, i finally found the problem: the touch of the secondary screen, or the driver or god knows what, i don't know why, interferes in some very specific and bizarre way with dragging things in the aforementioned website. It happens in the main screen, in the secondary screen, in the external monitor i have, it happens with bluetooth mouse, with USB mouse, with the integrated touchpad...

When the two HID touch devices in Device Manager are disabled, the problem is solved (i just need to reopen the webpage).

captura-de-tela-20221203-222318.png

But then enters the horrible ScreenXpert software, wich reenables the HID touch devices in Device Manager by itself every time the windows screen blocks (very annoying), and the problem returns.

There is no way to configure or manage the ScreenXpert software apart from the very limited interface in the secondary screen. There is no way to control this misbehaved software, wich by the way install itself automatticaly with windows update.

My final solution is to disable ScreenXpert software permanently in msconfig, preventing its services from starting up, without it i can't control the brightness of the secondary screen, but at least i don't need to disable the secundary touch screen in Device Manager many times a day to be able to access a simples website.

ScreenXpert bugs and frustration (UX482EAR)
@Rodnei
May I know the BIOS version and system version you are using?
Also, what is your ScreenXpert version?
[Notebook] How to check the model name and BIOS version | Official Support | ASUS GlobalWhich version of Windows operating system am I running? - Microsoft SupportI have sent you a message, please provide the website (URL) that you are experiencing problems with.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Rodnei
Star II
Tried to correct a typo but now cannot delete this comment.

Rodnei
Star II
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/66640/screenxpert-bugs-and-frustration-ux482ear

@Rodnei

May I know the BIOS version and system version you are using?

Also, what is your ScreenXpert version?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030673/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-version-of-windows-operating-system-am-i-running-6...

I have sent you a message, please provide the website (URL) that you are experiencing problems with.

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

View post
ASUS ZenBook Duo UX482EAR (with ABNT brazilian keyboard)
BIOS version 302
ScreenXpert version 3.0.18.0 (last one from Microsoft Store)
MyASUS version 3.1.11.0 with everything in it updated
ASUS System Control Interface version 3.1.8.0
Windows 11 22H2 (single language PT-BR), everything updated until now

The website is www.medcloud.co but unfortunately it's private access only.
The website function is to access and analize medical images (DICOM/PACS), with a built in DICOM viewer. All their functions works directly in the browser, in any browser, any operating system (i can even access it from my Android mobile browsers), without needing any third party software.
Because the huge amount of sensitive private data i can't give anyone access, but in the small video of the original post I show the behavior of the bug in two different tabs, the first openned with the HID touchpad active in device manager, and the other tab openned after disabling the HID touchpad device in device manager.
Unfortunately the video won't capture the small semitransparent thumbnail that appers when i drag the icons, but with the bug active i cant drag nor organize any thumbnail in the fields.

The bug has something to do with the touch function of the secondary small screen interfering with the drag function in this website, wich can be easily deactivated in Device Manager solving the problem.
But then ScreenXpert will stubbornly reactivate the HID touch device in Device Manager everytime something in the secondary screen changes, like turning it off with the embbeded button, or Windows blocking the screen (wich turns the secondary screen off too).

Rodnei
Star II
Everything else in Windows works flawlessly, no other bug beside this weird website conundrum with the touch of the secondary screen.
At first i thought that was a Windows bug, and I even tried virtualizing with VMWare in the notebook with different Windows 11 versions (21H2 and 22H2), Windows 7 and Linux.
Strangely, with the virtualized Windows 11 enviroments (22H1 and 22H2) the bug persists, but with virtualized Linux or Windows 7 there is no bug.