This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera takes horrible pics on Rog2

yamvmax
Star III
So Rog2 and z6 have same cam sensors, but pics on z6 are way better than the rog2. Hoping Asus can fix this, because the pics are terrible for having a very good sensor.
46 REPLIES 46

OPC
Zen Master II
At first I was not happy with camera results. After trying different options for some time I started to get decent results. The best to me is 48 MP in manual. Results are sharp, correctly exposed, colours are accurate. Then 48mp standard photo. Also I see good results with portrait mode and HDR and HDR+ on 12 MP photo. I would prefer a little bit more natural face in portrait mode. Less polished and "beautiful". Something like a 48 MP looking photo with background blur. Wide angle camera needs sharpening in the corners. I've made a photo of a single lit tree in a totally dark environment. You can see in different shades of black/grey the irregular circle of the sharp area. The camera is very sharp in the center but it drops off significantly towards edges. Maybe it can be improved with software? Also modes that require a lot of processing like night mode, skin tones, different beauty modes and filters need polishing up. Especially the night mode. It lacks in detail, range and is very noisy. I have achieved much better night shots in manual mode.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Ok, here are three examples taken from my desk. I took a night mode picture from each phone yesterday. I first forgot to enable the watermark on ROG Phone II but you can verify that it really is the ROG Phone II by downloading the image and checking the detailed image info. There are some slight differences. Mostly due to how the AI decides what they should look like. I could make the differences even smaller by having the same settings on both with Pro mode. You can see that HDR enabled on ROG Phone II in they day shot but not on the ZenFone 6. Had I moved ROG Phone II in another direction and then back, It would probably have decided not to use HDR for that shot. I actually took to day shots with ZenFone 6. Both felt like the same when I took them. No shake or anything but the image I choose to use below was noticeably sharper than the other. So you see, there are so many factors involved.
So I hope these images can stop any conspiracy that ZenFone 6 should be better than ROG Phone 2. Are there differences? Yes! Are they noticeable? Only if you study them closely side by side.
YMZET5YBJNG4.jpg
YZR3IIS86N9W.jpg
YZTU6HG5TM6H.jpg
GQDELYPJINCH.jpg
DS76R138VGUL.jpg
YFG89UM7V7FL.jpg

RAIDEN_
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

Ok, here are three examples taken from my desk. I took a night mode picture from each phone yesterday. I first forgot to enable the watermark on ROG Phone II but you can verify that it really is the ROG Phone II by downloading the image and checking the detailed image info. There are some slight differences. Mostly due to how the AI decides what they should look like. I could make the differences even smaller by having the same settings on both with Pro mode. You can see that HDR enabled on ROG Phone II in they day shot but not on the ZenFone 6. Had I moved ROG Phone II in another direction and then back, It would probably have decided not to use HDR for that shot. I actually took to day shots with ZenFone 6. Both felt like the same when I took them. No shake or anything but the image I choose to use below was noticeably sharper than the other. So you see, there are so many factors involved.

So I hope these images can stop any conspiracy that ZenFone 6 should be better than ROG Phone 2. Are there differences? Yes! Are they noticeable? Only if you study them closely side by side.

YMZET5YBJNG4.jpg

YZR3IIS86N9W.jpg

YZTU6HG5TM6H.jpg

GQDELYPJINCH.jpg

DS76R138VGUL.jpg

YFG89UM7V7FL.jpg

View post
Sir we don't think that there is any conspiracy its just the global variant users actually facing the issue where night mode captures blurry image ( i.e in auto mode ) .. the images you provided here are not fully night images ...
Daylight images on Rog 2 is superb but the night mode ones are very shaky .. See as a customer we can reach out to you guys and pls don't think that we intentionally spamming the forum... Its just the images aren't good at night thats all
Some firmware issue i guess or something

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
ywitch

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/23847#Comment_23847

All we need is better update improvement in the camera wide angle , night mode etc... with that answer youve given, its like there is no need to improve the camera.... cmon! why dont just listen to the consumer?! as consumers we have the right to ask something in return.. that's not the right approach.. how can you improve something when you think that all is good and there is no need to be improved?!!

View post
I never said that we're not going to improve. We will improve the camera performance on both phones simultaneously. Because the hardware in both phones are so similar, we can basically copy paste the software between them and this is why I'm telling you that there are no major differences.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
RAIDEN™

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/23968#Comment_23968

Sir we don't think that there is any conspiracy its just the global variant users actually facing the issue where night mode captures blurry image ( i.e in auto mode ) .. the images you provided here are not fully night images ...

Daylight images on Rog 2 is superb but the night mode ones are very shaky .. See as a customer we can reach out to you guys and pls don't think that we intentionally spamming the forum... Its just the images aren't good at night thats all

Some firmware issue i guess or something

View post
I can take more comparison images with less light outside. I live in Sweden so we have a lot of night time this time of year 🙂