This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenWiFi XT8 - latest firmware is a disaster. SMB stops working and routers crash.

micksanders
Star I
I don't know where to post this, or how to get support for my 4 XT8 routers. If there is a better forum, please let me know.
The latest firmware for the XT8 routers is terrible, ASUS! Each new firmware release seems to bring some new disaster. I'm trying to run a business here, but ASUS keep updating the firmware constantly and breaking things.
I can guarantee that the most recent firmware (as per the web/app updater for the routers) is totally broken. After running for about 2 days, the SMB share stops working. If I then unmount the share and try to remount, the router hangs and requires a power-off reboot.
My question to the forum is, can anyone please recommend a stable version of firmware, and provide me a link to it?
I'd be happy to try the OpenWRT free firmware. It can't possibly be worse than what ASUS provides.
4 REPLIES 4

Falcon_ASUS
micksanders

I don't know where to post this, or how to get support for my 4 XT8 routers. If there is a better forum, please let me know.

The latest firmware for the XT8 routers is terrible, ASUS! Each new firmware release seems to bring some new disaster. I'm trying to run a business here, but ASUS keep updating the firmware constantly and breaking things.

I can guarantee that the most recent firmware (as per the web/app updater for the routers) is totally broken. After running for about 2 days, the SMB share stops working. If I then unmount the share and try to remount, the router hangs and requires a power-off reboot.

My question to the forum is, can anyone please recommend a stable version of firmware, and provide me a link to it?

I'd be happy to try the OpenWRT free firmware. It can't possibly be worse than what ASUS provides.

ZenWiFi XT8 - latest firmware is a disaster. SMB stops working and routers crash.
@micksanders
Here we mainly discuss the issues/questions related to ASUS laptop.
For your Router questions, I suggest you contact our local call center to have further assistance.
Please refer to below and find the link of local call center.
https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/questionform/?lang=en
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

I am having the same problem. Support is horrible and the XT8 is now junk. I'm thinking of reporting Asus to the consumer authorities. My XT8 unit is not even 6 months old. I hopt a fix is found soon.

Falcon_ASUS
rddavistoronto2

I am having the same problem. Support is horrible and the XT8 is now junk. I'm thinking of reporting Asus to the consumer authorities. My XT8 unit is not even 6 months old. I hopt a fix is found soon.

View post
@rddavistoronto2
Here we mainly discuss the issues/questions related to ASUS laptop.
For your Router questions, I suggest you contact our local call center to have further assistance.
Please refer to below and find the link of local call center.
https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/questionform/?lang=en
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

drsky
Star I
I had the same issue with the latest firmware. Downgrading to firmware 3.0.0.4.386_48973 did the trick for me. Robust and consistent connection since I reinstalled this older firmware. The latest firmware (3.0.0.4.388.21617) is a complete disaster.