This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If the ROG Phone II stops working with US carriers, will ASUS support a trade-in?

Android
Rising Star I
One of the biggest fears about purchasing an ROG Phone II is that it lacks VoLTE, which means that it will cease functioning as a phone in the United States when 3G is taken down around 2020-2021. Consumers purchase this device expecting to at least be able to call and text since it is, after all, a phone.
My question now is: if ROG Phone II is unable to support VoLTE by the time carriers shut down 3G, will ASUS allow us to trade in the ROG Phone II for a heavily discounted ROG Phone III or ROG Phone IV which are likely to support VoLTE in the future? It's only fair to take responsibility if we are being sold a $900 product only for it to last less than two years.
P.S. It isn't only T-Mobile that will stop supporting 3G, ALL major carriers in the United States will, and this phone will become completely useless as a phone in the United States if it fails to support VoLTE in time. There is honestly more pressure on ASUS to support this feature than on AT&T or T-Mobile since they will not lose a single customer because every carrier in the United States are doing this.
13 REPLIES 13

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
We cannot make any such commitment at this point but a lot of things can happen between now and then. I regret not being able to give you any comforting information or a trade-in like you proposed. I understand if you choose to purchase another brand.

ZT-24e7d75a
Star III
Anders_ASUS

We cannot make any such commitment at this point but a lot of things can happen between now and then. I regret not being able to give you any comforting information or a trade-in like you proposed. I understand if you choose to purchase another brand.

View post
Sir,
I am sure I'm not alone when I say canned awnsers such as this does nothing to help the community. There are numerous individuals asking Asus how this phone will continue to function when 3G is being phased out. I believe if we are willing to spend $900 and support this phone and Asus mobile, we deserve a more detailed response on how to use this phone. Verizon can't make voice calls, ATT will not allow non VoLTE devices to register on their network starting in 2020, and most of TMobiles new infrastructure is 4G LTE only with no 2G/3G coverage. I really want this phone, but I was forced to return the one I purchased due to horrible call quality in the Detroit, MI area. I am waiting for a fix before I purchase it again, but I'm getting the feeling that nothing will be done and those who purchased the device will be out of luck.

Ed

Jango52517
Star III
Anders_ASUS

View post
This isn't a solution, this needs to be addressed formally in some sense with some kind of closure and answer. To just give vague half replies that give no new information as opposed to what we would have had without the reply just shows a lack of care and I understand that that may be all you as an individual can do but please if you can make it known within the company that this is leaving a really bad taste in alot of people's mouths, do what you can to stand up for the community if you can... At least if they could give an answer and say "we don't care and won't address this" or "we are looking into addressing this issue" or "we plan of addressing this" or "we will give a trade in discount when your phone stops functioning" or something like that that would be some kind of closure and definitive knowledge.
Right now it feels like we're here for ASUS and we care and we're getting punched and ASUS just couldn't care less...

I want to keep this phone but if nothing occurs I don't think I can.
Just a statement is all we need, a solid answer of some sort...
Again i know this isn't directly your fault but a fault of ASUS as a whole and its really souring the brand image IMO.

MisterSavage
Rising Star I
Here is the issue. ASUS wants to target "power users". And as such, they can't target "power users" and not answer important questions. This topic/subject has come up in a big way across many social media platforms. It isn't one or two people asking. It's fine to say you target "power users" but at the same time you can't treat them like a bunch of dummies. You can't have it both ways. Get the answer or figure it out an answer but at least do something. Too often I see either no replies or generic responses that border on insulting. Power users demand more than simply hardware, and hopefully there is a shift by ASUS to provide better communication.