This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play services battery drain issue

klynkrishnaa
Star II
I feel many of proud ROG 2 Users are struggling with the same issue as mine. Play services is consuming a humongous amount of battery. Don't even know which of the apps internally is using the data from play services. I have turned off Auto sync, Turned off Location sharing, turned off Google Fit, Turned off Ads personalisation and opted out of IBA. Yet battery is drained the most by Play services. There is no option to optimise the battery usage by Play Services.

@Asus Team.. Need an immediate update for this. Doesn't feel like a 6000mah phone. ??
Attached are my battery stats
VD5Y4JJDHGQG.jpg

43 REPLIES 43

klynkrishnaa
Star II
Anders_ASUS

This is a known bug in how it measures the battery consumption of apps like Google Play Services. Even Mobile Network Standby looks like it consumes a lot of power.

But this is just a meter showing wrong numbers. It's not actually consuming more than all other apps.

You have 9 hours of screen time, it was 34h since you charged your phone and you have 28% left.

There's nothing wrong with your battery life.

View post
I feel there definitely is a problem. SOT with a 6000mah should be a minimum of 13 hrs with 90hz. But I am getting hardly 11 hrs with 60 hz and almost no gaming.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Still sounds quite normal. Hard to say without knowing exactly what apps you have installed, if they are active, if they are allowed to auto start, what brightness you have. How much you game exactly and so on. There are so many more question marks that needs to be answered before we can say with 100% certainty if your battery life is normal or not.

deodatsss
Star III
I've been having the same observation with my ROG 2. The farthest I have gone is knowing when the Google Play Services app is draining battery in the foreground. 100% of the time that I am on mobile data, Google Play Services app keeps on running on my foreground. When I am on Wifi, this never happens. I've been testing this for almost a month and I'm getting the same result.
Now I have no idea what is causing the Google Play Services app to keep on running while I'm on mobile data. Currently I'm testing if it has to do with location scanning, I turned off Wifi scanning and Bluetooth scanning under location settings. I'll send an update here if there is any improvement. After this I'll do another test by disabling Location History.
Anders_ASUS

This is a known bug in how it measures the battery consumption of apps like Google Play Services. Even Mobile Network Standby looks like it consumes a lot of power.

But this is just a meter showing wrong numbers. It's not actually consuming more than all other apps.

You have 9 hours of screen time, it was 34h since you charged your phone and you have 28% left.

There's nothing wrong with your battery life.

View post
Hey there Anders, this may also be true but not to my experience. My worst case is having close to 7 hours SOT with 28% battery remaining - under mobile data. But when I use Wifi, it goes back to normal - I get around 8-11 hours SoT including gaming. Do note that I tested this on both 90Hz and 120Hz display mode.
I hope someone else can provide their stats using only mobile data and hope that we can pinpoint the crazy *ss battery hog. I have a hunch that one of the culprits is Carrier Services in Messages app.

SHEIKH_AZHARUDD
Rising Star II
deodatsss

I've been having the same observation with my ROG 2. The farthest I have gone is knowing when the Google Play Services app is draining battery in the foreground. 100% of the time that I am on mobile data, Google Play Services app keeps on running on my foreground. When I am on Wifi, this never happens. I've been testing this for almost a month and I'm getting the same result.

Now I have no idea what is causing the Google Play Services app to keep on running while I'm on mobile data. Currently I'm testing if it has to do with location scanning, I turned off Wifi scanning and Bluetooth scanning under location settings. I'll send an update here if there is any improvement. After this I'll do another test by disabling Location History.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/22506#Comment_22506

Hey there Anders, this may also be true but not to my experience. My worst case is having close to 7 hours SOT with 28% battery remaining - under mobile data. But when I use Wifi, it goes back to normal - I get around 8-11 hours SoT including gaming. Do note that I tested this on both 90Hz and 120Hz display mode.

I hope someone else can provide their stats using only mobile data and hope that we can pinpoint the crazy *ss battery hog. I have a hunch that one of the culprits is Carrier Services in Messages app.

View post
What i observed it seems the playstore is the culprit..with mobile data it keeps on checking for update but never downloads and keeps draining battery making play services culprit....force stop the play store and check once

deodatsss
Star III
SHEIKH AZHARUDDIN

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/23793#Comment_23793

What i observed it seems the playstore is the culprit..with mobile data it keeps on checking for update but never downloads and keeps draining battery making play services culprit....force stop the play store and check once

View post
I already tried restricting Play Store app from updating and running in the background, still no improvement. It actually got worse. I got to 71% remaining battery with just 2 hours SoT. No gaming.