b_preslavski
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: 32.2050.2050.34
Rooted or not:no
Frequency of Occurrence: non stop
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi. Since this morning, the icon for localization in the status bar stays on constantly. Before that it used to appear only when some program was using the gps to set my location(maps, weather, s.o.). No new programs installed, killed all programs which might be using location, except Google(because I can't) and it keeps staying on. Also an update came, but it's the same. I have 3 programs that are allowed to use location, and only they appear in the list of apps that have used location recently.
Is this a new, unwanted feature, a bug, or something suspicious is happening? The battery doesn't seem affected, so I guess the icon stays on, because location is on. But what's the point to see it, while nothing uses location, and how to know if an app updates location, if the icon is always on?
21 REPLIES 21

b_preslavski
Star III
daniventu

Was looking for someone with the same issue but could not find a dedicated issue since the object is very cryptic.

I'm experiencing the same issue and cannot remove the location icon in any way except by turning localization off.

View post
Try changing the permissions for the always allowed apps. Yesterday it worked with browsers, today with the weather stock app, tomorrow we'll see 🙂

daniventu
Star I
Yeah, problem is that the few apps having persistente access to the location would not function properly if I disabled it.
Which app/system apps did you notice requested your location?

b_preslavski
Star III
I had only Google, stock weather, another weather app and brave browser allowed all the time. Stopping these apps didn't work. Yesterday I put the browser to "ask", today I removed the stock weather to not have access(but it somehow gets location). This did the thing. I'm waiting for tomorrow...

paweldejko
Star III
I have exactly the same problem since yesterday. Only weather and Google apps have permanent access. Revoking permissions doesn't change anything. Displaying the icon does not affect the battery discharge rate, or it affects imperceptibly. The GPS module is also not active - after starting the GPS Test application, some time passes before the position is determined.

sonoro
Star III
Since yesterday, I am experiencing exactly the same behavior on my Zenfone 9 as well (firmware WW_32.2050.2050.34). The localization icon in the status bar stays on constantly, even though I have revoked permisson for permanent access for all apps. Only the system apps whose permission cannot be revoked still have access to localization.
Completely disabling localization service and re-enabling it again temporarily solves the issue. However, after 10 minutes or so, the localization icon comes back, even without touching the phone at all (i.e. phone in standby, not opening any apps).
I can confirm that it does not noticeably affect battery life, but it still feels suspiciously like some app is spying on my location.