This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Vivobook Quality/Service

Reverend_Jim
Star I
I bought a Vivobook 15 X513EA from Best Buy on July 12, 2022. I picked this particular model because it had an internal slot where I could later add a 2.5" internal drive. It wasn't until October that I got around to doing that. I had freed up (from a previous machine) a 240 GB SSD. I discovered that rather than having a bay into which I could just insert the drive (like my previous Dell laptop), the ASUS required a cable that was not included.
ASUS told me that they would not sell me the cable and that I should get it from Best Buy, which told me that they did not stock this part. They referred me to several local stores. I picked up a cable and hooked everything up and... nothing. The drive wasn't recognized. The tech at Best Buy examined it and told me that the SATA port that the cable plugs into was corroded. Agreeing that this should not be the case on an almost brand new laptop, they sent it in to ASUS for repair (after I backed it up and reset it to factory). I left the SSD and cable installed so it could be tested at the depot.
It was sent in on a Monday and was returned to me that Friday. The service notes said:
  Faulty SATA port
  Reinstalled the OS and updated BIOS and firmware
  Client's data erased due to OS performance or corruption issues
  Client acknowledged that data is not required
  Programs and applications will need to be re-installed
  Unit passed quality control check and Client's fault has been resolved

First of all, my data had not been erased. I had reset it to factory, as I told the Best Buy technician.
Secondly, in spite of my "Client's fault has been resolved", the SSD was still not being detected. I returned to Best Buy the next Monday where they also verified the failure. They agreed to exchange it for another unit. I got them to insert the SSD and, it too was not detected. Similarly, a new off the shelf SSD was not detected. In spite of it not being store policy they refunded my money (kudos to Best Buy).
The week after, my Wife tried to plug external speakers into her new (June 2022) ASUS Flip 14 TP412F. The external speakers did not work. Neither did ear buds. I verified that both worked on another laptop. I contacted ASUS and was told that the unit was no longer under warranty. Apparently a one-year warranty expires after five months. I sent them my proof of purchase and they eventually emailed me an RMA number. They DID NOT send me a mailing label. The web site also said I could buy an approved shipping box for just $40 (fortunately I had saved the box they had returned my unit in). After chatting again with ASUS they sent me a Fed-Ex mailing label. It is currently in the depot being repaired.
I have to say that I am less than impressed with ASUS of late and, as I am still looking for a new laptop for myself, I have little incentive to buy another one.

6 REPLIES 6

Falcon_ASUS
Reverend_Jim

I bought a Vivobook 15 X513EA from Best Buy on July 12, 2022. I picked this particular model because it had an internal slot where I could later add a 2.5" internal drive. It wasn't until October that I got around to doing that. I had freed up (from a previous machine) a 240 GB SSD. I discovered that rather than having a bay into which I could just insert the drive (like my previous Dell laptop), the ASUS required a cable that was not included.

ASUS told me that they would not sell me the cable and that I should get it from Best Buy, which told me that they did not stock this part. They referred me to several local stores. I picked up a cable and hooked everything up and... nothing. The drive wasn't recognized. The tech at Best Buy examined it and told me that the SATA port that the cable plugs into was corroded. Agreeing that this should not be the case on an almost brand new laptop, they sent it in to ASUS for repair (after I backed it up and reset it to factory). I left the SSD and cable installed so it could be tested at the depot.

It was sent in on a Monday and was returned to me that Friday. The service notes said:

Faulty SATA port

Reinstalled the OS and updated BIOS and firmware

Client's data erased due to OS performance or corruption issues

Client acknowledged that data is not required

Programs and applications will need to be re-installed

Unit passed quality control check and Client's fault has been resolved

First of all, my data had not been erased. I had reset it to factory, as I told the Best Buy technician.

Secondly, in spite of my "Client's fault has been resolved", the SSD was still not being detected. I returned to Best Buy the next Monday where they also verified the failure. They agreed to exchange it for another unit. I got them to insert the SSD and, it too was not detected. Similarly, a new off the shelf SSD was not detected. In spite of it not being store policy they refunded my money (kudos to Best Buy).

The week after, my Wife tried to plug external speakers into her new (June 2022) ASUS Flip 14 TP412F. The external speakers did not work. Neither did ear buds. I verified that both worked on another laptop. I contacted ASUS and was told that the unit was no longer under warranty. Apparently a one-year warranty expires after five months. I sent them my proof of purchase and they eventually emailed me an RMA number. They DID NOT send me a mailing label. The web site also said I could buy an approved shipping box for just $40 (fortunately I had saved the box they had returned my unit in). After chatting again with ASUS they sent me a Fed-Ex mailing label. It is currently in the depot being repaired.

I have to say that I am less than impressed with ASUS of late and, as I am still looking for a new laptop for myself, I have little incentive to buy another one.

ASUS Vivobook Quality/Service
@Reverend_Jim
Sorry for the late reply. Regarding the installation of the SSD, if you encounter problems during the installation, we would recommend going to the repair center for assistance. If there is indeed a hardware error found during the replacement, we will definitely make further confirmation. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.