Netbox
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9 (UK Version) 16GB/256GB
Firmware Version: WW_32.2050.2050.29
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: ALWAYS
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): SCREEN CAST
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Been trying to get the Android 12 "Screen Cast" feature to share my phone's screen but without success.
I've not really tried until today but it seems this feature isn't working.
I am connected to the same WiFi network as other devices and can "see them" to try to cast but am unable to get them to connect.
It just stays in the "connecting" state forever.
Router model Asus DSL-AX82U updated with latest firmware.
I've tried on my Lenovo tablet and other phones in the house and they all work fine but my new ZenFone 9 (Android 12) just won't connect.
My phone is updated with the latest software version (WW_32.2050.2050.29) and is completely stock, none rooted etc.
It seems that it will not connect to any "Google" products on my network.
I've rebooted everything and everything is working fine on my network except this ZenFone 9 will not screen cast.
It seems to be isolated to "Google" products (although I only have one none Google product on my network to cast to).
I have Google Chromecast 4K Ultra (old version), Google TV Chromecast 4K (new version), Google Nest Display, Google Nest Mini (speaker) X 3 and NONE of them will connect
However I CAN screen cast to my Samsung TV which works fine.
So there's obviously something wrong with the Google products and this phone/firmware
As mentioned my other tablets and mobiles in the house all DO screen cast to these Google products.
Any help would be appreciated.
I just updated the firmware this morning to the latest software version (and rebooted) so not sure if that has broken this.
I do know last week (at my work) I COULD screen cast to the Google Nest Mini speaker and that worked ok (Asus RT-AC68U). But now I cannot connect to my home Google Nest Mini speaker. So am wondering if something has happened with this last updated???
Any help would be appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

Netbox
Star III
kikoly

You can try the following steps to force stop Google play services.

screenshot-20221103-060835239-281-29-1.jpg

screenshot-20221103-060942743-281-29-1.jpg

View post
Thanks for the tip kikoly
That did sort it without a reboot, but it's most probably not a permanent fix. I'm sure it will fail again.
But at least forcing Google play services to close is easier than a complete reboot.
There's obviously some issue that is causing this.
I'll see how long this time before it stops working again. Just no idea really what's causing it as nothing new installed or changed.

Many thanks

Netbox
Star III
Mansi_ASUS

Hey @Netbox!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. To assist you with this issue, the R&D team will require log details.

Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).

1.  Open “Calculator APP”

2.  Enter “.19595+=”

3.  Select the Log type according to the type of issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.

4.  After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.

5.  Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".

6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.

Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)

You can share the log file with me via PM.

View post
@Mansi_ASUS

I've created a log file for my screen cast error and a screen capture video.

You ask me to DM you, but don't mean to ask a stupid question but how do I DM you.
I see no option to message you directly so can't send you anything until I know how.
I'm accessing Zentalk from my ZenFone 9 browser. Do I need to log in on a PC in order to DM you or am I missing the obvious

Please advise how I can DM you. Thanks

Netbox
Star III
kikoly

You can try the following steps to force stop Google play services.

screenshot-20221103-060835239-281-29-1.jpg

screenshot-20221103-060942743-281-29-1.jpg

View post
Further to my previous message.
Yes forcing Google play services to stop did work, but only for about 5 minutes, then the error was back again straight after. So it wasn't a solution. But thanks for the help.

Just created a log
Just need to know how to DM someone on this platform

kikoly
Hall of Fame II
Netbox

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/235556#Comment_235556

Further to my previous message.

Yes forcing Google play services to stop did work, but only for about 5 minutes, then the error was back again straight after. So it wasn't a solution. But thanks for the help.

Just created a log

Just need to know how to DM someone on this platform

View post
According to moderators, this is an issue with Google Play Services. Use the forced stop method temporarily until the problem is improved.

Netbox
Star III
kikoly

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/235749#Comment_235749

According to moderators, this is an issue with Google Play Services. Use the forced stop method temporarily until the problem is improved.

View post
Ahhhh brilliant. Thanks for the info
Hopefully that might also help fix the Bluetooth issue with my car and ZenFone 9 dropping calls from my car's audio back to my handset too (but that's another story)