This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculous RMA repair process, phone held to ransom.

Alator
Star I
So I bought a ROG phone 3 Strix Edition for £499 last year the warranty expires October 20203. recently I had an issue where the screen turned off while I was using it. It just went black my phone would ring but the screen remained unresponsive. When I searched for this issue it seemed to be a common occurrence and when none of the workarounds helped the advice was to return it for repair under warranty.
It has been over a week now and today I got a bill from ASUS to repair the following:
ZS661KS-6A 6.59 FHD+ LCD MOD
ZS661KS SPEAKER MODULE AD2
ZS661KS USB FPC CONDUCTIVE GASKET
ZS661KS RGB RIM CONDUCTIVE FAB
ZS661KS MIC 4 RUBBER
ZS661KS SHIELD CONN COND FAB
ZS661KS SPEAKER MODULE MESH
ZS661KS BATC2/ATL POLY/C11P1903
ZS661KS MOTOR ADHESIVE
ZS661KS USB FPC CONDUCTIVE FILM
ZS661KS SHIELD CONN COND FAB
ZS661KS REAR GLASS AD RE
WARRANTY SEAL FOR PHONE(Y)
ZS661KS VIB CONDUCTIVE FABRIC
ZS661KS USB GASKET
ZS661KS MIC4-MESH
ZS661KS MIC4 DB AD
Everything is listed as "CID" customer induced damage. The phone has not got a scratch on it and was fully functional until the screen failed. The cost of the repair is €430 and should I not wish to proceed my phone will not be returned until I pay a €105 fee. I am basically being told to pay for the phone a 2nd time and given 5 days to decide. Unsure what happens then do they just keep my phone!
I spoke to customer service this morning who read out that the notes stated a power issue and nothing about needing to replace the screen. Unfortunately customer service cannot help and I have to email the billing department to discuss the billing sent. There is no way to handle this via a phone conversation and it must be done by email only! I cannot get an explanation as to why none of this is being covered by the warranty or why my phone is now being held to ransom preventing me using my phone insurance to repair it.
Any idea how I can get help? Is there a complaints or dispute service with ASUS?
5 REPLIES 5

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
It would be helpful if you mention which repair center it is you're dealing with. ASUS has no service centers but instead hire 3rd party repair centers, which means quality of customer support and repair varies greatly depending on region. Looking at the list you provided my best bet is that the repair center likely messed something up and are now making you responsible for the fk up.
As for the defect, what you experienced is a failure of the display, there are some units where the hard OLED will crack on its own causing this defect, it's well documented and affects only a certain batch. If u had the phone you could have taken a strong flashlioght and shine on the phone, youd find a very fine crack.

Alator
Star I
Thank you for the reply.
There is no mention in any of the communications from ASUS as to the location of the service centre. However I have the shipping address as communicated from DHL to where it was sent if this helps:

Marcela Maruskanicova
ASUS Czech service s.r.o.
Hrusovska 2678/20

Alator
Star I
I have been informed that special tooling is used in the repair centre that results in a lot of the items listed in the bill needing replaced. I take this to mean that the special tooling damages more components of the phone and I get the bill for that damage.
I have asked for more detail on the damage to the screen as there was none when I shipped it but there has been refusal to explain the damage.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Alator

I have been informed that special tooling is used in the repair centre that results in a lot of the items listed in the bill needing replaced. I take this to mean that the special tooling damages more components of the phone and I get the bill for that damage.

I have asked for more detail on the damage to the screen as there was none when I shipped it but there has been refusal to explain the damage.

View post
Maybe the "special tool" is an oven or something, cant really explain anything else given how much adhesive they replace and even speaker mesh which should be a part of the new screen.