Star II
System: Zenbook S 13 OLED
Battery or AC: N/A
Model: UM5302TA
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: N/A
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:I recently bought the Zenbook S 13 OLED and wanted to try out linux on it but couldn't manage to make it work because the internal keyboard wasn't working and maybe wifi but can't confirm since my keyboard isn't working. I tried manjaro linux xfce,kde,gnome (kernel 5.15) as well as popOS and Ubuntu 22.04 and the result is the same, the keyboard just doesn't work but apart from that and numpad i think everything else is working. I must mention that the keyboard does work in grub but not linux for some reason. I tried changing the keyboard layout (nothing). I also notice that apperently @Blueskull managed to run linux with kernel 5.19 and didn't mention any keyboard problems in his post about usb4 bios request. I need to run linux for my studies, does anyone know of a solution ?
PS: I do not have a spare keyboard or an ethernet cable.
15 REPLIES 15

Blueskull
Star III
Google "Linux Kernel", download 6.0 tarball
Extract the tarball to ~/linux/linux-6.0
cd to ~/linux/linux-6.0
Apply said patches (I recommend manually patching them as the AUR patch files are for RC7, so line numbers might be different)
Copy /boot/config-5.19-xxx to ~/linux/linux-6.0/config (cp /boot/config-5.19-xxx .config), if there are multiple of them, use any should be fine
make deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-custom -j14 (do not use 16 threads, 14 is fast enough, use 16 and your system will lag badly)
If everything works, cd ..
sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-6.0.0-custom_6.0.0-custom-1_amd64.deb linux-image-6.0.0-custom_6.0.0-custom-1_amd64.deb
You do not need to install the dbg and dev packages. Compiling the kernel dbg package is the last thing "make" command will do and it takes a ridiculously amount of time, so you can ctrl+c once you see the current compiling package is the dbg package
Reboot

When you use 5.19 kernel config to compile 6.0, you will be asked a lot of questions whether you compile a certain module, you can press enter for all questions to apply the default settings.

Maks2002
Star II
Blueskull
  1. Google "Linux Kernel", download 6.0 tarball
  2. Extract the tarball to ~/linux/linux-6.0
  3. cd to ~/linux/linux-6.0
  4. Apply said patches (I recommend manually patching them as the AUR patch files are for RC7, so line numbers might be different)
  5. Copy /boot/config-5.19-xxx to ~/linux/linux-6.0/config (cp /boot/config-5.19-xxx .config), if there are multiple of them, use any should be fine
  6. make deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-custom -j14 (do not use 16 threads, 14 is fast enough, use 16 and your system will lag badly)
  7. If everything works, cd ..
  8. sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-6.0.0-custom_6.0.0-custom-1_amd64.deb linux-image-6.0.0-custom_6.0.0-custom-1_amd64.deb
  9. You do not need to install the dbg and dev packages. Compiling the kernel dbg package is the last thing "make" command will do and it takes a ridiculously amount of time, so you can ctrl+c once you see the current compiling package is the dbg package
  10. Reboot

When you use 5.19 kernel config to compile 6.0, you will be asked a lot of questions whether you compile a certain module, you can press enter for all questions to apply the default settings.

View post
Thank you so much. Your guideline is short and useful. Speakers and microphone and web camera are working fantastic after patching the kernel with "ArchLinux AUR repo um5302ta-linux" patch.
So, this topic can be closed )
Asus UM5302TA with Ubuntu 22.04 using custom kernel 6.0.1 - all hardware is working well. Except of course the fingerprint and numpad.

Blueskull
Star III
Add iommu=pt to your grub kernel command line if you encounter GPU crashes when using an USB-C external monitor. There have been a lot of "solutions" circulating on the internet, this one does the trick. Setting ppfeaturemask will also work, but unfortunately it breaks ACPI S0 sleep.

rykellim
Star I
I bought this Ryzen 7 6800U laptop thinking that Ubuntu 22.04 LTS will work "out of the box" since it is 2022, and Ubuntu works quite well with many of the systems I threw at it. Alas, how wrong I was! When I saw that the keyboard does NOT work, I knew that this is not going to be a smooth sailing ride. I appreciate the workaround, and shall look out for the day when it will play nice with Ubuntu.

Blueskull
Star III
rykellim

I bought this Ryzen 7 6800U laptop thinking that Ubuntu 22.04 LTS will work "out of the box" since it is 2022, and Ubuntu works quite well with many of the systems I threw at it. Alas, how wrong I was! When I saw that the keyboard does NOT work, I knew that this is not going to be a smooth sailing ride. I appreciate the workaround, and shall look out for the day when it will play nice with Ubuntu.

View post
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS has the option to install Linux 6.0 (sudo apt install linux-oem-22.04b). Within 2 months or so, this command will be upgraded to install Linux 6.1, which I believe will solve all compatibility issues.

The current OEM kernel (6.0) will support your keyboard, WiFi and BT. The next kernel will support digital MIC and have better GPU driver stability. To date (Linux 6.1-rc3), the speaker driver patch has been declined and a proper speaker driver has not been developed, so you will still need to manually patch the rejected community driver to whichever version of kernel you are using to get it to talk. This might get fixed by the time when Kernel 6.1 is out of its RC stage, or this might be deferred later as a Kernel 6.2 feature. Who knows.