System: Zenbook S 13
Battery or AC: Irrelevant
Model: UM5302
Frequency of occurrence: Irrelevant
Reset OS: Irrelevant
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:

After watching so many review videos about the rumored USB4 function, I pulled the trigger on UM5302. As stated in those videos, this device needs a beta BIOS to support USB4. As I unboxed the new device and installed both latest Windows driver from AMD and tried the latest Linux kernel (5.19), I was still not able to get USB4 to work on this device. I then looked up further and realized ASUS has officially ceased support of USB4 on this device as seen here: asus website support article 1131.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the said beta BIOS, knowing that it might cause more harm than good, and be willing to take certain responsibilities? In where I live, returning an unboxed and activated unit is difficult, thus I prefer not to go through the lengthy process and just keep the device, but I absolutely need USB4 as my workflow depends on 10GbE, and there's no way I can get my jobs done without USB4.

Best Regards,

B.G.
26 REPLIES 26

FongPoui
Rising Star II
Frankly speaking, from the link below, I see no mention about USB4. If the information was given by the third party or the reviewer, I think that Asus cannot take it into account.
https://www.asus.com/th/Laptops/For-Home/Zenbook/Zenbook-S-13-OLED-UM5302-AMD-Ryzen-6000-series/tech...
But I see that the information given by Asus in its specifications is often confusion, unclear. For example, for your model, concerning the RAM, it is said:
"16GB LPDDR5 on board
8GB LPDDR5 on board, Memory Max Up to8GB"
Finally, what is really on board? 16GB or 8GB?
When I purchase a computer, I will learn first what the capacity of RAM and Storage is.
In your model, I am asking the same question. But from the given information, I cannot answer if the capacity is 16GB or 8GB!!!

Falcon_ASUS
Jjberks12

I feel like we need an explaination from ASUS on this. it's weird to have early models showing support and the box (even mine which I got a few days ago) stating it supports usb 4. It doesn't make any sense.

View post
@Jjberks12
Please refer to the following related announcements.

Zenbook S 13 OLED (UM5302) Outer Box Label Correction Notice
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

romain4957
Star I
Hello, I'm very annoyed I bought this pc because for me with the update it would become USB4 so compatible with my LG 34WL850 screen which is thunderbolt 3.
I only wanted to have one cable for charging and video streaming.
Except currently when I connect the pc to the screen with the thunderbolt cable, I only have the recharge without any video signal, do you have an idea so that the video signal is detected by my screen without having to add a second cable?

FongPoui
Rising Star II
@romain4957
For my case (UX8402ZE), what I can blame to ASus, it should be the unclear information about the specs of usb port 3.2 given. It should state clearly that the only one usb port 3.2 gen 2 is a 3.2 gen 2x1 which came out in 2017 while gen 2x2 in 2019.
We are in 2022. So for my case, I should have 3.2 gen 2x2 and not 3.2 gen 2x1. Asus just plays with this gap and state only 3.2 gen 2. That's why I felt disappointed after buy a sandisk extreme pro version 2 which state that it fits to usb 3.2 gen 2!
For your case, I think the only solution is to buy an adapter usb type c to a hdmi for your monitor.

jaguar717
Star II
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/223672#Comment_223672

@Blueskull

As this video is not provided by ASUS, we may not be able to assure you that its content is correct.

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

View post
FongPoui

Frankly speaking, from the link below, I see no mention about USB4. If the information was given by the third party or the reviewer, I think that Asus cannot take it into account.

https://www.asus.com/th/Laptops/For-Home/Zenbook/Zenbook-S-13-OLED-UM5302-AMD-Ryzen-6000-series/tech...

But I see that the information given by Asus in its specifications is often confusion, unclear. For example, for your model, concerning the RAM, it is said:

"16GB LPDDR5 on board

8GB LPDDR5 on board, Memory Max Up to8GB"

Finally, what is really on board? 16GB or 8GB?

When I purchase a computer, I will learn first what the capacity of RAM and Storage is.

In your model, I am asking the same question. But from the given information, I cannot answer if the capacity is 16GB or 8GB!!!

View post
The USB4 functionality was not from third-party modifications, it was provided by Asus both in the consumer product materials (I can take a picture if needed), and in the information Asus sent to reviewers along with a working BIOS.
In case image does not display: "USB4 Ready: The Asus Zenbook S 13 OLED is a USB4-ready system. Should you wish to evaluate this feature, a downloadable beta BIOS that enables both USB4 and Thunderbolt connectivity is available to you...as a preview of the USB4 functionality coming to the market as a user update".
Given that whatever restriction Asus placed on Zenbook USB4 features also breaks backward compatibility with USB3 docks, it is reasonable to request a working BIOS rather than just "sorry for the inconvenience". Or please let us know if we should return our new laptops.
image.png