This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proximity sensor problem during conversation

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
During the conversation, when I hold the phone to my ear, sometimes the screen wakes up and my ear starts up various functions of the phone. This is very common after updating to Android 12, previously it was less. Please solve this problem ASAP. Phone software version: 31.1010.0410.72, APP software version: 2.9.0.27_220324
84 REPLIES 84

StealthRequiem
Rising Star I
StealthRequiem

I can provide an interesting update on this problem. I've recently updated my 2nd Zenfone 8 from Android 11 all the way to .122 on Android 12. After each OTA I performed a factory reset.

So far I'm having no problems with the screen during calls, everything is fine, unlike my previous Zenfone 8 which became almost unusable as a phone.

So.. is it the resets, the build, or a previously pulled update that broke the screen/sensor? The latter might seem unlikely, but remember a ROG 5 update physically broke wi-fi. This doesn't explain though why my previous sensor showed as working and why some Zenfone 9 users are having this problem. I wasn't using a screen protector by the way.

All happy at the moment until the next update breaks something.

View post
The bug occured again today so it's still there but less noticeable than the 1st.

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
StealthRequiem

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/228270#Comment_228270

The bug occured again today so it's still there but less noticeable than the 1st.

View post

Sometimes there is call after call and sometimes all day long he is gone

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
StealthRequiem

View post
For me, the error is sometimes the entire call per call, and sometimes once every few hours

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
StealthRequiem

View post
@StealthRequiem
Please send the logs from Your phone to @Mattias_ASUS If more people send logs, there is a greater chance that they will finally fix the bug. I think only I sent, no one else, and a lot of people have the same problem

Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).
1.  Open “Calculator APP”
2.  Enter “.19595+=”
3.  Select the Log type according to the type of issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.
4.  After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.
5.  Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".
6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.
Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)

Mattias_ASUS
Jjarek23

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/228852#Comment_228852

1. At the beginning of July 2022, I sent you the logs from my phone (you are asking for them again, so I will send you a link to them in a private message with a description in txt files, what I was doing when there was a bug)

2. After receiving the logs, you wrote on the forum that: "From the logs we got the devices triggered an auto-calibration to avoid stains, which might have caused an issue."

3. You know I don't have any extra cover on the screen and it's clean. Other users wrote the same.

4. So it seems you have identified a problem - the phone starts auto-calibration for no reason. I'm not a developer, but I think autocalibration should be turned off and maybe this will fix the problem.

5. You cannot expect video recordings from us. How do you imagine it? Should I hold the phone with one hand and talk, and record myself with the other phone with the other hand? It would be possible if the bug was present all the time. Unfortunately the bug is there from time to time. I can't always have two phones and be ready to record.

6. All I can do is give you more logs from the phone. The logs should contain the position in which I am holding the phone, whether the sensor works and whether the screen lights up

7. I hold the phone to my ear normally. When the bug occurs, the way you hold the phone to your ear doesn't matter. If there is no error, I can move the phone and it does not appear. When a bug occurs, even pressing the phone completely to the ears and head does not eliminate it. If you want, I can record a video while holding the phone, but the error will probably not occur during this recording.

8. I tested the sensor with the code you provided (.12345 + = to start the SMMI tool, select Single Test> Proximity Test) and it works in the range of about 2-4cm.

9. I also noticed that the problem may be related to the recording of calls - I have recording turned on. When in the "sound recorder" options I unchecked the "leave the screen on while recording" option, the bug started to appear less frequently.

View post
Can anyone else confirm this? Is this happening when you are recording calls? with the Leave the screen ON option on?