Zenfone 9 GPS inacurrate

pietje
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: Android 12, WW_32.2030.2030.26
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): HealthMate (5.11.0), Strava (271.9)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Hi
when using my phone as a gps tracker i notice that the gps is often behaving very inaccurate for instance in the picture below is was driving the bycicle on the right side off the road and removed my sweater at the red X before continuing my path. The gps said i crossed the road went way offroad and then came back. I also noticed the same behavior when walking around. It tells me im zigzagging accross the street etc. I made sure precise location is on, the apps can run in the background etc but to no avail. I am thinking this is a hardware issue. Or are any other people experiencing the same result?
image.png

When i was on a trip in Barcelona i was testing it extensively, i am just walking on one side of the street instead it shows this zig zag nonsense
screenshot-20220911-201223-health-mate.jpg

Different walk same result.
screenshot-20220911-201242-health-mate.jpg
Same result in strava, i cannot recall me running through houses and zig zagging...
screenshot-20220911-202428-strava.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

Crimis
Rising Star I
pietje

I would also like some feedback whether i should RMA my device or wait for an update. I want to give my old pixel 5 to my brother. But right now i keep it since im unsure if i need to start the RMA. So feedback would be appreciated!

View post

You are new to the Zenfone experience 🙂 Take a look around the forums of the different Zenfone's and ROG phone's. There are many issue's which remain unfixed for months / for ever. There also seems to be no good connection between the mods/community on this forum and the Asus development department. There is a lot of top voted feedback on this subforum (https://zentalk.asus.com/en/categories/ideas?sort=top) for years now which is completely ignored for the most part, instead we get some weird confusing volume control in the last update which nobody asked for.
When you need a polished experience buy an iPhone/Pixel. Unfortunately I had to return mine too because of all software issue's (https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63151/unfortunately-i-am-returning-this-great-phone-because-o...)
So in short:
Don't expect this to be fixed.
If it will be fixed, it will not be anytime soon.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Crimis

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/229499#Comment_229499

This reviewer uses a bike ride, the GPS issue is only visible in slower recordings. To notice the GPS position jumping around by a couple of meters you need to stay more or less in the same area for a couple of seconds.

View post
Yes, good analysis
We know that the GPS sensitivity of the ZF9 is good, quite a few values ​​between 35 and +40, it is to be checked on the course because the foliage is a real screen for the gps but the problem would rather be a frequent loss of satellites.
The problem would be the algorithm that processes the raw data, eliminates the values ​​having too much lag with the previous data to keep and send only the optimal location.
I think this could could be improved at Android kernel level by eliminating questionable low speed or static positions
A test of several jogging software should give different results, the GPS having evolved between Android 6 (api 23) and 7 and + (Api 24) as well as the number of satellites visible by the GPS chip and used (passed from 30 previously +80 currently), many programmers have not adapted the raw data processing algorithm.
The Map view of GnssLogger visualizes well this phenomenon of avalanche of raw data and location jump, particularly in town where there are many reflections, unfortunately I do not know how to give a name of running software with a good precise algorithm, the only one that I know PPP Wizlite from CNES is just an exercise in style to highlight the importance of this processing to obtain an accurate location without jumps.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
@Crimis Yes, good analysis
@pietje Difficult to answer, wait for a response from Asus R&D to see if they can intervene on what the GPS chip is sending or just say that it's the normal Android release and that it's up to Google to work on it
We know that the GPS sensitivity of the ZF9 is good, quite a few values ​​between 35 and +40, it is to be checked on the course because the foliage is a real screen for the gps but the problem would rather be a frequent loss of satellites.
The problem would be the algorithm that processes the raw data, eliminates the values ​​having too much lag with the previous data to keep and send only the optimal location.
I think this could could be improved at Android kernel level by eliminating questionable low speed or static positions
A test of several jogging software should give different results, the GPS having evolved between Android 6 (api 23) and 7 and + (Api 24) as well as the number of satellites visible by the GPS chip and used (passed from 30 previously +80 currently), many programmers have not adapted the raw data processing algorithm.
The Map view of GnssLogger visualizes well this phenomenon of avalanche of raw data and location jump, particularly in town where there are many reflections, unfortunately I do not know how to give a name of running software with a good precise algorithm, the only one that I know PPP Wizlite from CNES is just an exercise in style to highlight the importance of this processing to obtain an accurate location without jumps.

pietje
Star III
Crimis

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/230017#Comment_230017

You are new to the Zenfone experience 🙂 Take a look around the forums of the different Zenfone's and ROG phone's. There are many issue's which remain unfixed for months / for ever. There also seems to be no good connection between the mods/community on this forum and the Asus development department. There is a lot of top voted feedback on this subforum (https://zentalk.asus.com/en/categories/ideas?sort=top) for years now which is completely ignored for the most part, instead we get some weird confusing volume control in the last update which nobody asked for.

When you need a polished experience buy an iPhone/Pixel. Unfortunately I had to return mine too because of all software issue's (https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63151/unfortunately-i-am-returning-this-great-phone-because-o...)

So in short:

1. Don't expect this to be fixed.
  2. If it will be fixed, it will not be anytime soon.

View post
I understand your frustration, but dont get your hopes on with a Pixel i owned a pixel 5 and it was pretty bad. Fingerprint worked almost never with my device due to sweaty hands. And it was a known issue. Also often i was not able to pickup a phone call..
Owned a nexus 5 in the past same experience, keyboard often not showing up. Known issue never got any fix.
I see a continuous trend in companies cutting costs on testing. Having a mindset like, o we can fix things later with a hotfix.

Crimis
Rising Star I
pietje

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/230083#Comment_230083

I understand your frustration, but dont get your hopes on with a Pixel i owned a pixel 5 and it was pretty bad. Fingerprint worked almost never with my device due to sweaty hands. And it was a known issue. Also often i was not able to pickup a phone call..

Owned a nexus 5 in the past same experience, keyboard often not showing up. Known issue never got any fix.

I see a continuous trend in companies cutting costs on testing. Having a mindset like, o we can fix things later with a hotfix.

View post
That's a property of all (secure) hardware fingerprint readers, you need a clean and dry finger to get a proper reading. It's not an exclusive Pixel 5 issue.
But you are right, sometimes devices of big smartphone manufacturers are just full of problems. Especially when they are launched.