Zenfone 9 GPS inacurrate

pietje
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: Android 12, WW_32.2030.2030.26
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): HealthMate (5.11.0), Strava (271.9)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Hi
when using my phone as a gps tracker i notice that the gps is often behaving very inaccurate for instance in the picture below is was driving the bycicle on the right side off the road and removed my sweater at the red X before continuing my path. The gps said i crossed the road went way offroad and then came back. I also noticed the same behavior when walking around. It tells me im zigzagging accross the street etc. I made sure precise location is on, the apps can run in the background etc but to no avail. I am thinking this is a hardware issue. Or are any other people experiencing the same result?
image.png

When i was on a trip in Barcelona i was testing it extensively, i am just walking on one side of the street instead it shows this zig zag nonsense
screenshot-20220911-201223-health-mate.jpg

Different walk same result.
screenshot-20220911-201242-health-mate.jpg
Same result in strava, i cannot recall me running through houses and zig zagging...
screenshot-20220911-202428-strava.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

pietje
Star III
FunBike31

Forgot, to do

in Location, disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth search

In Developer options, Enable "Force full GNSS measurements"

View post
Thanks for the detailed post, i enabled the force full GNSS now.
I had installed the GPS test app before and compared it with my pixel 5. Like the user Crimis stated as well the pixel 5 stays dead steady however the Zenfone 9 moves allot. Tomorrow i go for another run i will post my results with GNSS = ON, bluetooth scannen = Off, Wifi scanning = Off.

pietje
Star III
Mattias_ASUS

Hello everyone!

I am forwarding this issue to the R&D Team 🙂

View post
Thanks, they can always reach out to me if they need extra information

pietje
Star III
Went for a run again yesterday and this are the results.
I had
 "Force full GNSS = On"
"Wifi scanning = Off"
"Bluetooth scanning = Off"
"GPS Test = Running in the backround"
I did two times exactly the same route, the third time i went through the middle. But results stay very very bad despite the changed settings.

screenshot-20220918-204433-health-mate.jpg

Kohinoor2
Star I
Hello ASUS support. Is there any news regarding the GPS issue? The lack of feedback other than "We have forwarded the issue to our developers" is not very reassuring. Trouble with the camera? That I could forgive and given the performance possible with a gcam, we know the phone is actually quite capable and the issues come down to the software side of things. Also I understand that it might not be as easy to change the processed look, because some customers might have actually bought into that specifically - prefering the overprocessed & oversharpened image style to a more accurate and natural rendition.
But GPS issues? That is a totally different can of worms. I would say having the GPS working properly is the most basic requirement in a smartphone. You are only lucky that the tech reviewers no longer do proper reviews nowadays and skip over general things such as phone call quality and GPS. Because if this is SOME BIG general issue and if it comes down to the hardware and not some fixable software issue, then this phone is basically DOA for many. Given screenshots above, I would not consider the GPS inaccurate - I would consider it broken and would return the phone in a heartbeat.
I think you should consider actively giving some feedback to the BIG issues reported on this forum (such as this one with the GPS reception) and providing at least some general timelines to when they might get fixed. I would personally think that Android 13 is not as interesting as a properly working A12 build.

mickey10021
Rising Star II