Zenfone 9 GPS inacurrate

pietje
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: Android 12, WW_32.2030.2030.26
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): HealthMate (5.11.0), Strava (271.9)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Hi
when using my phone as a gps tracker i notice that the gps is often behaving very inaccurate for instance in the picture below is was driving the bycicle on the right side off the road and removed my sweater at the red X before continuing my path. The gps said i crossed the road went way offroad and then came back. I also noticed the same behavior when walking around. It tells me im zigzagging accross the street etc. I made sure precise location is on, the apps can run in the background etc but to no avail. I am thinking this is a hardware issue. Or are any other people experiencing the same result?
image.png

When i was on a trip in Barcelona i was testing it extensively, i am just walking on one side of the street instead it shows this zig zag nonsense
screenshot-20220911-201223-health-mate.jpg

Different walk same result.
screenshot-20220911-201242-health-mate.jpg
Same result in strava, i cannot recall me running through houses and zig zagging...
screenshot-20220911-202428-strava.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

pietje
Star III
FunBike31

The reception of the GPS signal actually seems quite poor and/or sensitive to reflections.

2 points to consider.

Google very wrongly names high precision because it is the opposite in many situations. This function makes it possible to acquire the FIX immediately by sending the position of the operator's antennas and to keep a position when the GPS signal does not pass (tunnel, cellar, forest), the precision depends on the number of antennas , high in cities, non-existent in rural areas. Typically 100m to 1km.

For a really precise location and see the quality of GPS reception, as soon as you have the initial position, deactivate the high precision function, you will really have the good or bad performance of the GPS function of the smartphone.

Another important point, do not compare the accuracy of the GPS with hiking, jogging, cycling software, anything that can be off-road with vehicle/journey guidance software (google map, waze, etc.) because in case of loss or deviation of position, those are designed to follow the indicated route, so if the GPS signal places you on the opposite lane or in the underside, the guidance software will correct to stay on the route

View post
"The reception of the GPS signal actually seems quite poor and/or sensitive to reflections." => does this mean, my device or zenfone 9 in general? I wonder if it is hardware related or software related, otherwise i will RMA since the results are really bad.

By the way this park is situated on the outskirts of Antwerp Belgium, so it should have many antennas.
I will try again later this week with high precision off, right now i have:
"location acces for this app" on always
"Use precise location" toggled on

these are my results from my run today, very inacurate... like this its useless as a fitness tracker. I took two times exactly the same route in the park...
screenshot-20220912-215643-health-mate.jpg
if i compare it to previous runs on my pixel 5

screenshot-20220912-215943-health-mate.jpg

Crimis
Rising Star I
I'm getting the same results, I wonder if this can be fixed with software.
When I check with GPSTest the Zenfone 9's location is constantly jumping around with a couple of meters, the Pixel 5 is just dead steady.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
pietje

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/227540#Comment_227540

"The reception of the GPS signal actually seems quite poor and/or sensitive to reflections." => does this mean, my device or zenfone 9 in general? I wonder if it is hardware related or software related, otherwise i will RMA since the results are really bad.

By the way this park is situated on the outskirts of Antwerp Belgium, so it should have many antennas.

I will try again later this week with high precision off, right now i have:

• "location acces for this app" on always
  • "Use precise location" toggled on

these are my results from my run today, very inacurate... like this its useless as a fitness tracker. I took two times exactly the same route in the park...

screenshot-20220912-215643-health-mate.jpg

if i compare it to previous runs on my pixel 5

screenshot-20220912-215943-health-mate.jpg

View post
Park = many Antennas !!!! No, it is exactly the opposite, at best if it is very crowded the minimum number of antenes so as not to have a white zone. The same for Airports and everywhere where there are few dwellings (Activity Zone).
On this park it is the case, there are never 3 4G antennas for a triangulated location, so only the GPS is really usable (no need to activate 5G they are even further away, consumes battery unnecessarily )
In short, as the foliage is one of the worst enemies of the GPS, it seems that the sensitivity of the GPS is really bad on this device.
The number of satellites is also important, it depends on the day and the time, GPS Test can give you information (3D Fix, precision, number and intensity) and compare with another phone at the same time/place
By leaving GPS Test in the background and the running software in the foreground you should get better accuracy, if not, go trash the smartphone
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=fr&gl=US
Here is the precise positioning map of the antennas
https://carto.technopolice.be/
And this one the 3G/4G coverage, very bad in this park with Telenet, good with the other 2
https://www.bipt-data.be/fr/projects/atlas/mobile
image.png

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Forgot, to do
in Location, disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth search
In Developer options, Enable "Force full GNSS measurements"

Mattias_ASUS
Hello everyone!
I am forwarding this issue to the R&D Team 🙂