cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog 3 recording issue with Asus tuf cu4k30 capture card

ehunt22
Star III
Hi,
When I connect my Rog 3 to my laptop using the Asus tuf cu4k30, i get a message on the phone screen that refresh rate is restricted to 60 hz
Based on some research and asking around, it seems this is because the Rog 3 is limited to RGB colorspace
If it can run in YUV colorspace, we would be able to get higher refresh rates while recording
Request moderators to please check with dev team to check for a solution to enable this
@Mattias_ASUS please help with this
45 REPLIES 45

ehunt22
Star III
You should open a separate topic for this issue
I have bought the Asus Tuf cu4k30 so that i can avoid any issues due to using a third party capture card
I hope the moderators can help resolve the issue
My issue primarily is due to the phone restricting itself to 60hz, and that is most likely being caused because it uses RGB colorspace as default instead of YUV colorspace that allows higher refresh rate capture
@Mattias_ASUS please check with Deva if they can help change the default colorspace used by Rog 3 for screen capture, or check for any other solutions for the 60 Hz issue

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
HexHyte

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/227320#Comment_227320

Sure, I will do it later.

After my reply i played a bit more while streaming and unfortunately i've noticed lot of frame drop when the phone is transmitting through TypeC.

Video image on the phone stutters way more than anticipated, i already saw this issue before, it did happen with my old Rog Phone 2 when a game kept constantly switching between 60 and 120hz mode for some reason but with the Rog Phone 3 it seems like this happens even when 120hz mode is correctly being used. I would start from here to eventually bugfix the issue. @Mattias_ASUS

Anyway, Elgato and the phone itself correctly set the transmission mode to 120hz 1080p.

I would also suggest to check if the transmission mode is set to 1080p 120hz and not 2K 120hz.

View post
I'd like a video of that, sounds interesting.
also it cant pass through 2k res, the phone mirrors itself with its own resolution, there is no such thing as "2k transmission" if the phone itself cannot reach that resolution.

HexHyte
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/227544#Comment_227544

I'd like a video of that, sounds interesting.

also it cant pass through 2k res, the phone mirrors itself with its own resolution, there is no such thing as "2k transmission" if the phone itself cannot reach that resolution.

View post
Oh look who we have here!
About the "2K transmission mode": i am referring to the internal EDID parameter, Elgato 4k Capture Utility has this option called EDID (internal) that allows you to change the emulated (i guess so right?) EDID of the capture card.
If i set this parameter to 1440p (120hz) the screen display will be accommodated inside a 1440p canvas which of course produces a better quality image compared to the 1080p (120hz) parameter. However, setting the EDID to 1440p will cause some overflow (i guess) because the transmission will start audio/video stuttering or wont start at all.
This is why i recommended @ehunt22 to check if the transmission is set to run at 1080p 120hz. Maybe you have a better way to call it

ehunt22
Star III
With the Asus tuf cu4k30 I can't change the screen recording options. I have tried it with OBS and it is set to the default that the phone outputs which is limited to 60 Hz on the phone as its shows in the pop up message on the phones screen

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
HexHyte

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/227798#Comment_227798

Oh look who we have here!

About the "2K transmission mode": i am referring to the internal EDID parameter, Elgato 4k Capture Utility has this option called EDID (internal) that allows you to change the emulated (i guess so right?) EDID of the capture card.

If i set this parameter to 1440p (120hz) the screen display will be accommodated inside a 1440p canvas which of course produces a better quality image compared to the 1080p (120hz) parameter. However, setting the EDID to 1440p will cause some overflow (i guess) because the transmission will start audio/video stuttering or wont start at all.

This is why i recommended @ehunt22 to check if the transmission is set to run at 1080p 120hz. Maybe you have a better way to call it

View post
All the "internal EDID" does is tell the phone what mode the capture card supports, that's all. This is mostly useful for setups that have no output conencted to them and has literally 0 effect on the phone as they still simply mirror the screen and don't care in the slightest what modes your capture card supports.
Everything else you wrote is pure made up nonsense. Guess nothing changes with you.
source: help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360060072892-4K-Capture-Utility-EDID-Configuration