cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 9 screen graininess

gagaboom
Star II
Hi,
Does anyone else's screen look a bit grainy after the update. When you hold a button or something that has a fill animation from black to a color, it has an effect similar to how the back of the phone looks (if that makes any sense). Is this intentional or is my screen defective?

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: 32.2030.2030.26
Rooted or not: no root
Frequency of Occurrence: all the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

14 REPLIES 14

jeremy6652
Star III
I'm at 120 hz.
This was taken in a dark room, brightness value was 3.0. It's most noticeable form 50% brightness up, below that I can't clearly see it. The video was taken at 100% brightness.

gagaboom
Star II
Mansi_ASUS

Hey @gagaboom,

I heard back from the R&D team, and in order for them to find a solution to your problem, you have to provide the following:

1. Refresh rate of the device? (System Settings > Display > Screen Refresh Rate)

2. Brightness value of the environment when the problem occurs?

You can launch the calculator App and enter .12345+= to activate the SMMI test, select Single Test>Light Sensor Test.

Also, it'd help if you can take a video so that they can confirm the problem.

View post
Hi @Mansi_ASUS , sorry for the late reply.
I'm currently running at 90 hz. Now as for the ADC values it's most noticeable at anything over 300 and under 30. The effect also gets more pronounced with the screen brightness going up. now if I run the screen at 60hz and enable dc dimming the effect is less noticeable. I can't really take a video that would be of any use with my other phone but the video that @jeremy6652 provided in his comment highlights the issue perfectly.
Thank you and have a great day!

asusrg87
Star II
Hi, I think it's unfixable.
The display used is just poor quality (problably Samsung e4 from at least 2 years ago).

Crimis
Rising Star I
Probably it's also kind of hard to source a great display in this size, all high-end screens are 6,1 inch+

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
asusrg87

Hi, I think it's unfixable.

The display used is just poor quality (problably Samsung e4 from at least 2 years ago).

View post
Well you see its not a hardware issue and its fixable. The Rog3 also suffers from this, however after recalibration of the display the graininess has dissapeared.