Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gesture Issues with alternative launchers

DiamondBatch
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: Android 12 (5.10.101 - android12-9-00001-g4c8b638d3017-ab-8786896)
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Nova Launcher (Hyperion launcher, Niagara Launcher, and all other alternative launchers tested)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Gesture controls for home (swiping up from bottom) is extremely glitchy on alternative launchers. I know this is an issue with Zenui on the Zenfone 9, as I have tested alternative launchers with the same results, and this does not generally happen on other Android devices with gesture input. For example, swiping up from pages that are not the default home page does not always return to the default home page, and the behaviour is inconsistent. Moreover, animations are also extremely glitchy. Sometimes the app drawer shows up on the side for a second (even when just swiping up for home), and the home screen always zooms out when inputting home on the home screen (there should be no animation). This is shown in the screen recording provided.

9 REPLIES 9

clavo
Star III
This is definitely an Android issue and exists since Android 11.
Since Android 11 the recents provider is the default launcher and not the SystemUI. That's why the default launcher is always running in background even when an alternative launcher is used.
Currently, the only possible solution to fix that requires an alternative launcher which implements its own recents and you have to root your device in order to systemize that launcher.
The glitchy animations are related to that issue.
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/220178612

Crimis
Rising Star I
Yes it's allot better in Android 13 but still not perfect. The predictive back gesture could be a new issue for 3rd party launchers though.

tochmi
Zen Master I
I am currently using Microsoft Launcher and do not have these problems. I also use the navigation bar.
Try this launcher to see how it goes...
Good luck!!!!

clavo
Star III
tochmi

I am currently using Microsoft Launcher and do not have these problems. I also use the navigation bar.

Try this launcher to see how it goes...

Good luck!!!!

View post
The issue only occurs when using gesture control, no matter which launcher you use, and it is explicitly about the swipe-to-home gesture.