This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 9 Photo thread!

Mattias_ASUS
Zenfone 9 is here and as many of you probably have seen, we got some pretty impressive cameras this time around!
So I propose a thread with some of our best pictures, the pics I will upload are taken by normal average people and without any enhancements.
p-20220801-122636.jpg
The picture above was taken with the camera's Light trail mode by a waterfall.
120 REPLIES 120

fakeco14
Star III
Gabrieltg

A question:

in non-macro photos, the closest objects look sharp and the background doesn't. Why?

I also think that in the Z9 the photos are more processed than in the Z8. They come out less natural.

I think that the result of a photo has to be like the vision of the human eye. In resolution/sharpness and in color.

View post
Hi @Gabrieltg! Asus has released a patch that also improves the Camera Performance just a couple of days ago. In regards to the processing this seems to be a big step in the right direction. I do not have my Z9 yet so I can’t speak to that myself but results other users got seem promising!
Regarding the focus question: That depends on a varienty of factors. The most likely explanation would be that even if not in a macro setting, your foreground subjects is still fairly close to the camera compared. In this case the depth of field of the lens will render the background blurry (“real bokeh”). This is more prevalent in todays phones since sensors become increasingly bigger. The Z9s IMX766 is almost 25% larger then the IMX686 of the Z8. Thus you can expect a shallower depth of field. A more unlikely scenario would be if you had portriat mode enabled.
If you share more details about your setting and ideally a picture I can try to provide further information.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
fakeco14

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/224496#Comment_224496

Hi @Gabrieltg! Asus has released a patch that also improves the Camera Performance just a couple of days ago. In regards to the processing this seems to be a big step in the right direction. I do not have my Z9 yet so I can’t speak to that myself but results other users got seem promising!

Regarding the focus question: That depends on a varienty of factors. The most likely explanation would be that even if not in a macro setting, your foreground subjects is still fairly close to the camera compared. In this case the depth of field of the lens will render the background blurry (“real bokeh”). This is more prevalent in todays phones since sensors become increasingly bigger. The Z9s IMX766 is almost 25% larger then the IMX686 of the Z8. Thus you can expect a shallower depth of field. A more unlikely scenario would be if you had portriat mode enabled.

If you share more details about your setting and ideally a picture I can try to provide further information.

View post
Any comparisons you could share? I'm interested in before and after shots

Gabrieltg
Rising Star I
Hello @falsoco 14,
p-20220824-101357.jpg
p-20220824-101406.jpg

In the first photo the background is out of focus.
In the second photo (camera above) the glass is out of focus.
On my old Sony XZ1 Compact I think there was an option to focus in all directions (multipoint).
My configuration is:
16:9, Auto HDR, PreAF on, Auto anti-flicker, Night mode detection off.

fakeco14
Star III
Hi @Gabrieltg! It is exactly as I assumed, this is just the depth of field of the lens / sensor combination.
Totally normal behaviour and nothing to worry about. If you have a digital camera with a manual mode you can try it yourself: set the camera to aperture priority (A or Av) and then dail down the aperture to 5.6 or lower. And then try getting both the glass and the background in focus. It won’t work for the same reason it doesnt in this case.
If necessary you could look into Focus Stacking. This will solve your problem but is additional work.
🙂

Gabrieltg
Rising Star I
Thank you @falsoco 14,
is my configuration correct?
p-20220824-105253-1.jpg
In long distance photos I think there is a lack of sharpness....