This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW photos

Gingerjoa
Star II
Hi. Is it planned for an update for the camera app in the future to support raw images? It's a bit strange when you have this phone that is so camera / photo focused without the raw option that almost every low to high-end android phones has now days.
13 REPLIES 13

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Crimis

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/224538#Comment_224538

RAW means RAW sensor data, so of course it's non-binned. It's completely unprocessed. These files are much easier to edit in Lightroom because you have information which is removed in regular JPG files.

View post
Well since you don't know what binning is let me educate you.
Using binned mode tells the sensor to use the quad layer filter to take pictures at 1/4 the resolution, this allows the image to be less noisy in lower light scenarios, upping the size of each pixel from 1.0micrometer to 2.0micrometer, allowing much more light to pass through each pixel. The RAW sensor data is therefore binned or not binned depending on the "mode" you select.
People also refer to these sensors as "quad bayer" sensors because they are capable of shooting with pixel binning on a hardware level.
Also, RAW is just a file format, it's not just a copy and paste of actual lens data, that would take way to much time to process, thats also why even tho RAW is far superior to the likes of jpg, they still have limits. I can take with the same sensor 4:3, 16:9, 64mp or 16mp mode all RAW without any drawbacks at all.
Hope you learned something.

Crimis
Rising Star I
Well, since you don't know what RAW means let me educate you. Binning is image processing (combining pixel data), RAW files are unprocessed.
The sensor itself can not send "binned" data, it's a sensor not a cpu.
If you want to know more: https://thesmartphonephotographer.com/smartphone-pixel-binning/
I hope you learned something.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Crimis

Well, since you don't know what RAW means let me educate you. Binning is image processing (combining pixel data), RAW files are unprocessed.

The sensor itself can not send "binned" data, it's a sensor not a cpu.

If you want to know more: https://thesmartphonephotographer.com/smartphone-pixel-binning/

View post
Why don't you literally read your own source that is debunking you.
2x2 Binning
If the four RGGB (red, green, green, blue) pixels illustrated above were to be merged into one pixel, say red, for example, then those pixels will no longer be four individual RGGB pixels but rather just one R pixel.
The next four pixels next to the R superpixel will either be a group of four merged G pixels or a superpixel made up of four blue pixels.
This merging of pixels in groups of four is made possible by a version of the Bayer filter known as the Quad-Bayer filter. By combining the electronic charge of four pixels into one (known as 4:1 or 4-to-1 binning), the Quad-Bayer filter essentially doubles the size of the pixels.
2x2 binning simply means that an area of 2 pixels high and 2 pixels wide is combined. What was once a 0.8µm pixel can become a 1.6µm superpixel.
As for your lack of understanding what a raw file even is:
RAW | dpBestflowAs a file type designation, raw typically refers to the native file type that is produced by a digital still or video camera. A raw file has minimal image processing done in-camera, which provides the maximum flexibility to adjust the file in post-production. Raw files require special software to view and process.

Since youre not a fan of reading text, let me demonstrate how your wild theory can be debunked in an instant. Go ahead and make a raw images, make sure to overexpose the sky dratsicly in the first, then do the opposite so the sky is perfecly exposed but the ground is hella underexposed, now try again, to bring back detail in lightroom.
What youll find out is that there is a lot of detail lacking, in the overexposed example its impossible to bring the sky data back, even tho your sensor could still "see" the sky when putting exposure down, how is this possible? According to your dreamland theory, that should be possible.
#debunked.
I strongly suggest stopping debunking yourself, at least be as deluded as the others and just claim bs while not debunking urself.

Crimis
Rising Star I
Keep reading the source, you skipped the part about RAW files:

Pixel binning and shooting RAW
If you want to capture RAW photos with your smartphone, then you cannot use pixel binning. If the manufacturer allows it, your mobile camera can only output RAW files that aren’t pixel binned or jpeg files that are either pixel-binned or not pixel binned.
In other words, if you want to capture a RAW photo with a 64MP camera that has 0.8µm pixels, you can only do so at that resolution. You cannot take a pixel binned 16MP RAW photo.
And given that RAW images are uncompressed, at 64MP, a RAW image is going to be huge. So, lots of space will be required.
However, if you choose to save your shots as jpegs, you can change the camera’s resolution as you please and not worry too much about the file size because of the conversion and compression the image goes through in the ISP (image signal processor).
The downside is you lose all the benefits of shooting RAW.
Or source 2: www.eyerys.com/articles/pixel-binning-improving-smartphone-photography-one-big-disadvantage
Pixel binning lacks RAW output. Since RAW output is the encapsulation of the raw sensor data, a pixel-binned version cannot exist. If the JPG algorithms being used by a smartphone are aggressive in favor of reducing file size, the compression would result in even more detail degradation. Only if the manufacturer allows it, users can either record a RAW image file (without pixel binning) or a pixel-binned JPG.
Source 3: www.forbes.com/sites/paulmonckton/2022/02/28/what-is-pixel-binning-quad-bayer-nonacell/?sh=480bdb1e1...
What are raw files?
In some cases, the information can be saved straight from the sensor, bypassing the demosaicing process. This results in a raw image file, so called because it contains all the raw, unprocessed sensor information retaining the Bayer pattern exactly as it was originally captured. These files must be processed with external software before they can be viewed, but typically contain the most detail available from the camera.

You can do allot with RAW files but of course RAW files can not generate data which is just not there. When you massively under- or overexpose there is not much to manipulate in Lightroom.

mickey10021
Rising Star II
Crimis

Keep reading the source, you skipped the part about RAW files:

Pixel binning and shooting RAW

If you want to capture RAW photos with your smartphone, then you cannot use pixel binning. If the manufacturer allows it, your mobile camera can only output RAW files that aren’t pixel binned or jpeg files that are either pixel-binned or not pixel binned.

In other words, if you want to capture a RAW photo with a 64MP camera that has 0.8µm pixels, you can only do so at that resolution. You cannot take a pixel binned 16MP RAW photo.

And given that RAW images are uncompressed, at 64MP, a RAW image is going to be huge. So, lots of space will be required.

However, if you choose to save your shots as jpegs, you can change the camera’s resolution as you please and not worry too much about the file size because of the conversion and compression the image goes through in the ISP (image signal processor).

The downside is you lose all the benefits of shooting RAW.

Or source 2: www.eyerys.com/articles/pixel-binning-improving-smartphone-photography-one-big-disadvantage

Pixel binning lacks RAW output. Since RAW output is the encapsulation of the raw sensor data, a pixel-binned version cannot exist. If the JPG algorithms being used by a smartphone are aggressive in favor of reducing file size, the compression would result in even more detail degradation. Only if the manufacturer allows it, users can either record a RAW image file (without pixel binning) or a pixel-binned JPG.

Source 3: www.forbes.com/sites/paulmonckton/2022/02/28/what-is-pixel-binning-quad-bayer-nonacell/?sh=480bdb1e1...

What are raw files?

In some cases, the information can be saved straight from the sensor, bypassing the demosaicing process. This results in a raw image file, so called because it contains all the raw, unprocessed sensor information retaining the Bayer pattern exactly as it was originally captured. These files must be processed with external software before they can be viewed, but typically contain the most detail available from the camera.

You can do allot with RAW files but of course RAW files can not generate data which is just not there. When you massively under- or overexpose there is not much to manipulate in Lightroom.

View post
Actually, it depends on which sensor mode use for each OEMs. Some use proprietary request key for access unbinned resolution. Some use binned res (Pixel 6 remain 12.5MP raw file for example)
It depends on how OEMs implement camera API. In the case of Asus, they use 50MP which is separated in camera id 3 and not id 0 for raw + jpg capture pro mode.
In camera id 0 it's 12.5MP. If you want raw at this res, you need to use other camera app like FreeDCam or GCam and you should be able to capture RAW at 12.5 MP resolution