This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green halo when taking photos

HomerSp
Star III
Hi, just wanted to ask here in case anyone has run into similar issues using the cameras. Basically, when I take photos close to (but not directly at) bright lights like my PC monitor or a window a green half circle/halo appears at the bottom in both the viewfinder and photos. It's like the light is reflected somewhere inside the sensor, and that's picked up in the image. It happens when using both the standard sensor and the ultrawide, but it's less pronounced using the latter. The circle intensity changes as I angle it, which seems to confirm that it's light being reflected. It disappears if I use something to cover the top half of the sensor as can be seen in one of the videos below.
It seems to have something to do with the focus, because if I either change the focus manually, or move something in front of it to change it automatically, the circle moves.
Here are a few pictures/videos to showcase the issue:
photos.app.goo.gl/PEY5GV9byL6D8FPo8 (just beneath my PC monitor)
photos.app.goo.gl/QdLLfPhWvVXTz4SC7 (different angle beneath my PC monitor)
photos.app.goo.gl/3AKvgSRahBK64qa56 (beneath a window, less pronounced)
photos.app.goo.gl/KHqC9m6ggfopnCpF7 (video beneath PC monitor)
photos.app.goo.gl/VvZMoaGQ7amh2LpH7 (video also beneath PC monitor that show how focus makes it move around)

Anyone else run into this issue? I've never experienced this with any other phone I've owned - including the Zenfone 8, so it seems like it has something to do with the particular sensors of this phone.
13 REPLIES 13

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@FunBike31
uhhhh, the pixel 4a is extremely loud and even has decent mids. It sounds full and doesnt distort at all.
As for the x60 pro I tried to find anything that would mention double exposure, from what I can tell it doesnt exist. (maybe added very recently?) Also the processing is extremely bad, way to contrasty and way to saturated, seems to be in line up to early 2022. Even pro mode seems to add some unwanted processing according to multiple reviews.
As for X80 pro, I found it to be extremely dissapointing as well. The processing is just bad as well.

This was taken with the x80 pro main lens, it's extremely oversharpened and has some serious noise, this is an iso 50 image by the way.
I don't know why but everytime I see a phone with a huge lens released they somehow fk the quality over with processing. Samsung being the main contender here.
The only large sensor phone I'm aware of that takes excellent pictures is the Huawei phones, images are naturally full with detail and don't need some crappy sharpening.

I havent seen anything impressive from any of the vivo phones. I see that the vivo X80 has dual exposure, but the examples I've seen are nothing short of horridying, for whatever reason once you use dual exposure the detail goes byebye and the noise gets insane, I assume this is due to processing not being very good.
Maybe they have improved drastlicly with some software updates, you could maybe share some pictures taken by the x60?

FunBike31
Community Legend I
My colleague returns on 5/09 from vacation, I ask him
It's true that the Pixel 4 processes images better than many others.
I do not understand that Samsung's initiative on the S9 with a non-fixed diaphragm has not been taken up and improved by other manufacturers, it remains the basis of photography and software processing at these limits

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
FunBike31

My colleague returns on 5/09 from vacation, I ask him

It's true that the Pixel 4 processes images better than many others.

I do not understand that Samsung's initiative on the S9 with a non-fixed diaphragm has not been taken up and improved by other manufacturers, it remains the basis of photography and software processing at these limits

View post
I mean samsung peaked at note 10. Thats when their photography was the best, then they decided to mess everything up with S20 and onward. The lack of detail is embarresing, the S22 Ultra takes less detailed images than a Samsung Galaxy S5 from 2014.
s22, oversaturated to hell, image smudged, if you try to read the text under the owl in front of the switch it's just a smeary mess, no matter how much you zoom in, you cannot read it.
s22.jpg
s5.jpg
While the S5 struggles a bit with the low light condition, there is far more detail, you can now easily read the same text.
Its also funny how the Pixel 4A literally surpasses the pixel 6 in terms of image quality.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.