Slnn3R
Rising Star I
ROG Phone 5 Pre Order
RM2999
Free Kunai 3 Controller (RRP: RM599)
AeroActive Cooler 5
RM149 (Actual Price Paid RM44)
ROG Phone 5 Bad Experience Highlights
When the phone first arrived (Initial Firmware Version - Not Updated to any new firmware patch/update), try a few long gaming session such as Genshin Impact (Very High Graphic Setting), the FPS is stable around 50-60 FPS but the Temperature is able to reach 58-60 Degree Celsius in around 20-30mins, most of the time I using Kunai 3 Controller so doesn't feel the heat, but it kinda scary when touching the screen and feel the heat from there.
So decided to get the AeroActive Cooler 5 as I think it may help to improve the situation, it does help improve a bit in a short gaming session, however even with AeroActive Cooler 5 attached, while using By Pass Charging and having around 50mins-60mins gaming session with Genshin Impact, the phone will pop out an Error message saying something like "Temperature in the USB is too High" please unplug, etc. This kinda make me feel I only pay for the AeroActive Cooler 5 Back Button feature but the cooling feature isn't giving any benefit.
KUNAI 3 Controller started to getting some updates (when attach it will auto update), then the KUNAI 3 Controller start behave weirdly, sometimes right controller not able to function, the controller keep connect and disconnecting unexpectedly, bluetooth connection sometime works and sometime not works, etc, basically after KUNAI 3 Controller getting updates, I notice the Controller not able to work normally in a consistent manner, most of the time the controller keep having weird behavior and it works in a very rare manner. I enjoy the KUNAI 3 Controller in the beginning when everything works but after the updates it become Brick for me.
After few firmware updates, the phone doesn't able to heat up until 50-60 Degree Celsius anymore, playing Genshin Impact (Very High Graphic Setting) in very long gaming session the Maximum Temperature is around 45-46 Degree Celsius as well, however the FPS performance is noticeable unstable and the FPS just keep jumping between 30-55 FPS throughout the gaming session. It is playable, however just feel the phone have degraded, it exchange performance over cooler temperature. I heard my other peers with the same phone as mine saying they have no issue to achieve stable 60fps in a long gaming session in Highest Graphical Setting, but the games they play is MOBA and FPS games such as Honor of Glory, PUBG, etc which I don't play.
Around Two Months before my warranty end, the Speaker died, interestingly its morning Alarm did wake me up normally, but for unknown reason, in the afternoon the sound never come out anymore. Send to claim warranty, took around 1 month to receive the phone back, everything work normally.
Bad Experience Conclusion
- The Accessories just doesn't work (cooler don't cool down the phone, controller don't function normally) even they are design for ROG Phone 5. Luckily they don't cost me anything, but they just like some extra bricks for me.
- The updates did solved Genshin Impact overheat issue, but it doesn't solve Genshin Impact performance issue, from feedback from others, the performance on other games are High Tier but I only play Genshin Impact and the experience is feel like Mid Tier for me.
- So overall, this gaming phone doesn't give me the Best Gaming Experience I am expecting. The Main Issue I have above is all about Gaming Experience and my gaming experience score for this ROG Phone 5 would be 6.5/10 (Because I ONLY play Genshin Impact, maybe other games can offer 8/10 or higher experience)
ROG Phone 5 Good Experience Highlights
Speaker are so great, I often feel I didn't utilize the Headphone 3.5mm jackport at all because the Speaker Audio Quality is so good that I don't need earphone to enjoy best sound in Most Situation.
The screen experience is superb, its brightness can be still very high and clear under the Sun, in all visual media I that I consume with the phone, it is the best visual experience I ever experience in a mobile device.
Performance in all apps (except gaming with Genshin Impact) and connectivity software (wifi, bluetooth, hotspot, mobile data, gps, etc) is superb, over 60hz above visual performance, very responsive in every tab, switch from app to app is very instant, never experience any lag, freeze or performance issue on my daily apps usage. I got no issue with the Connectivity function in the phone and I feel they perform much more better compare to my last phone.
The build quality of the phone is very good, I love the phone allow me to hold it firmly and it gave me a premium touch/holding feeling, I don't use screen protector and just use the phone free case, after year of using, I don't see any Obvious scratch or physical damage on anywhere of my phone.
I am very satisfy with the battery performance as well, it last so long and the fast charging just way to fast. I never find myself worry about no enough battery in my whole year of usage and my phone never shutdown due to low battery ever.
Some additional bonus, the On Screen Finger Thumbprint, for me they function very well and very convenience. The LED Notification Indicator is a Good Plus for me, I prefer the LED Notification on top of the screen Indicator than the RGB Light Indicator on the back of the phone. The squeeze to open Apps feature, Double tab lock screen feature are also something I don't ever want to miss out from my phone, they are just some feature I rely and use too often everyday.
Good Experience Conclusion
- My previous phone is Google Pixel 2XL, ROG Phone 5 just gave me another next next level of "Smart Phone Experience" in my daily usage of the phone in all use case scenarios (except Gaming)
- Technically I utilized all of the phone feature and they gave me the Best Experience I ever had everyday, I definitely gave 9/10 score for my daily practical usage of the phone.

Based on my 1 years+ usage of ROG Phone 5, If this is a "Zenfone", I will gave 9/10 Score, but this is a "ROG Phone", so I think it is reasonable for me to expect the Accessories will Work and the Performance of Genshin Impact should stable, the only Gaming Experience I feel it work well upon my expectation so far is ONLY the AirTrigger. So my final score of this phone would be 7/10 which consider an above mid-tier experience.
Moving On, I have sold everything of my ROG PHONE 5 with RM1500 and Pre-Order ROG Phone 6.
ROG Phone 6 Pre Order
RM3590
Free Additional 1 Year Warranty
Free AeroActive Cooler 6
Why ROG PHONE again?
In term of daily practical usage, my score is 9/10, so there no reason for me to not experience it on ROG Phone again, but the main feature I don't wanna lose is the Speaker Audio Experience, so ROG Phone's Speaker is always on my mind and wish list.
Pre-order gave me extra warranty so the phone basically have 2 years warranty just like ROG laptops which gave me more confidence on its quality and peace of mind in case there is any issue. My current ROG Phone 5 already out of warranty so I kinda just wanna get rid of this "time bomb".
It seem like the Temperature did improve without AeroActive Cooler, with the new AeroActive Cooler 6 it feel like something would really improve the Gaming Experience, so I would like to it give it another chance and hope ROG Phone 6 would gave me better gaming experience.
My Expectation
Just continue to do well in everything I mentioned on "ROG Phone 5 Good Experience Highlights" section, then I am definitely cool with it, however based on the spec it seem like it surely will gave me better experience on my daily practical phone usage.
Stable 50-60 FPS on Genshin Impact Highest Graphical Setting (I don't mind Disable Anti-aliasing and in Low Shadow setting ONLY) in 30mins game play session.
Stable 50-60 FPS on Genshin Impact Highest Graphical Setting (I don't mind Disable Anti-aliasing and in Low Shadow setting ONLY) in 1hours+ game play session with the AeroActive Cooler 6.
Is my expectation reasonable enough or I expecting too much? Will ROG Phone 6 achieve these expectation or is it impossible to achieve (for the Gaming Experience Expectation)?
What do you guys think? 🤔
24 REPLIES 24

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221353#Comment_221353

The rog6 is already proving to be a rog5 with new chip and downgrades. it's fragile like the Rog5, heats like an oven without cooler like the Rog5, performance is "ok" for now, but will degrade over update since passively it simply cant sustain itself without damaging internal components. On screen is equally awful as Rog5. Speaker are a considerable downgrade. Battery life is extremley poor as well especially during gaming.

The rog 6 is a hard pass.

View post
I kinda cool with it:
RM3590 (Pre Order Price) - RM1500 (SOLD ROG Phone 5, half the Price I initially paid) - RM600 (SOLD Genshin Impact Account)
Total Paid: RM1490 (around  334.50 USD)
What I get:
Free Additional 1 Year Warranty (Total 2 Year Warranty)
Free AeroActive Cooler 6 (RM349 Retail Price, around 78.35 USD)
Original Global ROG Phone 6 (256GB Storage + 12 GB RAM)
It have already achieved all my personal expectation (check list above) that gave me the best experience in all my daily use case. It's design matched my personal preference and in most case suit my personal daily use case as well.
With additional 2 Year International Warranty and a free aeroactive cooler 6 and I don't have to pay a fortune for it, as long as it perform the same or better than ROG Phone 5, I am cool with it.
But to be honest, I wanted to play the upcoming Final Fantasy Ever Crisis on it, I just hope its performance capability able achieve my expectiation below:
Stable 90 FPS or higher on Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis Highest Graphical Setting in 1 Hours or higher game play session.
Stable 120 FPS on Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis Highest Graphical Setting in 1hours+ game play session with the AeroActive Cooler 6.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@Slnn3R
Unlike you most people care what they get for money and don't want a crappy phone that goes empty on battery in no time and needs a chunky cooler to function properly.
You would literally have been better off paying for the Rog5 cooler and have a better experience while having paid less. What you did was pay for a downgrade.
Also forget 90fps in FF, the game will run 60fps at max. While you will run the game at 60fps and get battery drained in no time and chunky cooler, people with a consumer phones will run the game at 60fps as well but have much longer battery life.
Contrary to popular belief, "high end" games are not hard to run. The reason games lag like hell is because of bad performance management and unoptimized code.
Here you go:

Oneplus 7, running with snapdragon 845 genshin high settings 60fps. Note that the 845 in terms of graphics is supposedly 120% worse. Less than half the performance, yet 60fps on high settings in genshin.
My optimzied Rog3 runs games way better than any rog5/6 can and will run much longer on a single charge while not needing any external cooling. I can play PGR for around 8 hours on a single charge, it's dreamland for Rog5/rog6.
People wasting money on "upgrading" the SoC is just sad.

Slnn3R
Rising Star I

Danishblunt

@Slnn3R

Unlike you most people care what they get for money and don't want a crappy phone that goes empty on battery in no time and needs a chunky cooler to function properly.

You would literally have been better off paying for the Rog5 cooler and have a better experience while having paid less. What you did was pay for a downgrade.

Also forget 90fps in FF, the game will run 60fps at max. While you will run the game at 60fps and get battery drained in no time and chunky cooler, people with a consumer phones will run the game at 60fps as well but have much longer battery life.

Contrary to popular belief, "high end" games are not hard to run. The reason games lag like hell is because of bad performance management and unoptimized code.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXMwxPdPM4

Oneplus 7, running with snapdragon 845 genshin high settings 60fps. Note that the 845 in terms of graphics is supposedly 120% worse. Less than half the performance, yet 60fps on high settings in genshin.

My optimzied Rog3 runs games way better than any rog5/6 can and will run much longer on a single charge while not needing any external cooling. I can play PGR for around 8 hours on a single charge, it's dreamland for Rog5/rog6.

People wasting money on "upgrading" the SoC is just sad.

View post
It's kinda subjective, even I spent RM349 to get the new ROG 5 Cooler, my previous ROG Phone 5 won't get any additional International Warranty, once it become faulty, I just gonna spent at least another RM2000-3000 to get a new phone anyway. But in the end, the main issue is, I don't spend more than 10minutes on phone for gaming consumption, gaming capability is just an add-on bonus to me. (But I do play narrative games on PS5, Nintendo Switch, ROG RTX3070, just mobile non-narrative focus game aren't my taste)
In my case, I think I paying RM1490 for a upgrade of:
2 years International Warranty
Free AeroActive Cooler 6
8+ Gen 1
Additional 4GB RAM
Additional 128GB Storage
Personal Aesthetic Preference Design
IPX4
Better Thermal (We will see if it is better than ROG Phone 5 or same or worse, in whatever case it won't affect my daily use case unless the phone throttle and overheat in non-gaming activities)
All ROG Phone 5 Existing feature which I already love and serve me the best in all my use case
They are good enough for me in my daily use case .
I still have the belief that there are a lot phone option out there, but non of them are perfect and able to fulfill each unique individual out there. Everyone have their own preference, in my case, ROG Phone 6 able to fulfilled all my preferences below:
Screen (I feel very uncomfortable with Notch or Punch hole)
Speaker (I prefer front facing speaker just how this guy review is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGzLXpIYf9Y)
LED Notification Indicator (Is a must for me)
Double tab lock screen feature (Is a must for me)
Squeeze to open Apps feature (I use it everyday)
Customizable Double-Tapping on the back (I never experience it, but basically same as Squeeze to open apps feature, I gonna love it and use it in a lot of use case)
ROG Aesthetic Preference Design
RM1490 for fulfill all this Seven point above I would rather no losing and additional Nine point above. In my case, I can't find enough reason to not continue go for ROG Phone 6 though and hard to convince myself it is a downgrade in my case though.
Definitely out there should have other phone do something much better than ROG Phone 6, but a phone that able to fulfill all my need I mentioned above, maybe not 🤔
Orange vs Apple, both similar yet have their own difference and benefit, you know your own condition and preference best, just consume whatever you feel most comfortable and enjoyable with 😂

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@Slnn3R
Your points are laughable. You're literally trying to bullshit yourself. I don't think I've ever seen anyone cope as hard as you. All your "upgrade" points are a joke.
You claim you don't game or care for performance yet 5/9 points are related to theoretical performance, then you have 1 last point that is "same as rog5 features".
IPX4 is splash resistance, while Rog5 and previous rog phones dont have the rating, they are equally splash resistant. you only have 2 valid points, 1. Warranty, 2. Design that you like. That's it.
Here downgrades:
Bad battery life
Downgraded speakers
Downgraded Camera (main lens is better hardware wise but software optmization is bad)
Downgraded DAC
Downgraded Microphone (3 array vs 4 array)
Forced to use the crappy external cooling when gaming on the go

As for your other points:
1.) I feel you there, notch or punchholes are cancer
2.) It's garbage. Rog6 speakers are a joke. its getting shit on so badly it's unfunny. It literally gets beaten by an Iphone 13 pro, not even max version.

11:35
3.) Very common on many phones
4.) isn't this a normal android feature? I'm not aware of a phone that doesnt behave like this?
5.) dno, seems like very gimmicky thing to begin with but eh.
6.) You make something a requirement that you never used before, bruh.
7.) subjective.

I don't think I've ever seen someone coping as hard as you.

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

@Slnn3R

Your points are laughable. You're literally trying to bullshit yourself. I don't think I've ever seen anyone cope as hard as you. All your "upgrade" points are a joke.

You claim you don't game or care for performance yet 5/9 points are related to theoretical performance, then you have 1 last point that is "same as rog5 features".

IPX4 is splash resistance, while Rog5 and previous rog phones dont have the rating, they are equally splash resistant. you only have 2 valid points, 1. Warranty, 2. Design that you like. That's it.

Here downgrades:

• Bad battery life
  • Downgraded speakers
  • Downgraded Camera (main lens is better hardware wise but software optmization is bad)
  • Downgraded DAC
  • Downgraded Microphone (3 array vs 4 array)
  • Forced to use the crappy external cooling when gaming on the go

As for your other points:

1.) I feel you there, notch or punchholes are cancer

2.) It's garbage. Rog6 speakers are a joke. its getting shit on so badly it's unfunny. It literally gets beaten by an Iphone 13 pro, not even max version.

https://youtu.be/_egttZjY6Zg?t=699

11:35

3.) Very common on many phones

4.) isn't this a normal android feature? I'm not aware of a phone that doesnt behave like this?

5.) dno, seems like very gimmicky thing to begin with but eh.

6.) You make something a requirement that you never used before, bruh.

7.) subjective.

I don't think I've ever seen someone coping as hard as you.

View post
I can see the point which you trying to highlight its weaknesses,
but for me I feel good with the things I get for the RM1490 price I paid for, and in all my real life situation and use case, I will just enjoy the pros that I mentioned and those cons you mentioned doesn't affect the things that really matter me. So I am cool with it.

"Your points are laughable. You're literally trying to bullshit yourself. I don't think I've ever seen anyone cope as hard as you. All your "upgrade" points are a joke."
"I don't think I've ever seen someone coping as hard as you."
Not sure what's make you think I am not cool with the price I paid for and what I get from it. But You do you man, continue mention some unnecessary things as above that is irrational nor bring any benefit to the sharing/discussion 😂 LOL