This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My two cents on the Zf9

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
After looking at the reviews it seems like a little solid device, what bothers me tho is the fact that its running the gen8.
The Gen7 is the perfect chip, its super efficient, has very good performance and would allow the phone not to overheat and have insane battery life.
It would also lower the price of the phone, starting price for 8GB / 128GB SSD for 799USD is steep.
I'm still concerned about durability, due to how the ZF8 went, but we will see on that one.
17 REPLIES 17

ktw
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221284#Comment_221284

I don't like what I'm seeing because it's the total power draw of the phones, not just the chip. It's misleading.

I mean I can see that the phone department is failing hard given what we see with the latest phones thus far.

View post
Yeah that might be true, but it's still a good reference given that the test is done by Geekerwan, not some random YouTube clickbait -- I mean, he was the first one in the Chinese-speaking community to warn people that SD 888 (and later 8 Gen 1) is disastrous. We all know the story afterward.
We can all agree that the switch from Samsung fab to TSMC fab has greatly improved 8 Gen's P/w, now that about 5 or 6 models running on 8+ Gen 1 have been released and tested in reviews. If you disagree with this, I'll wonder if you have ever read or watched any reviews on those devices before you disagree. lol
AFAIK, ASUS' phone department is simply trying to keep its Zenfone lineup alive, even in Taiwan. Its share in the phone market in Taiwan goes down to even as low as 1% due to fierce competition from Apple, Samsung, and most importantly all the Chinese manufacturers. We probably won't see any "wow factors" in the Zenfones any time soon. To the very least, not for any of us who won't consider compact phones and just want to post stuff here 🙂

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ktw

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221288#Comment_221288

Yeah that might be true, but it's still a good reference given that the test is done by Geekerwan, not some random YouTube clickbait -- I mean, he was the first one in the Chinese-speaking community to warn people that SD 888 (and later 8 Gen 1) is disastrous. We all know the story afterward.

We can all agree that the switch from Samsung fab to TSMC fab has greatly improved 8 Gen's P/w, now that about 5 or 6 models running on 8+ Gen 1 have been released and tested in reviews. If you disagree with this, I'll wonder if you have ever read or watched any reviews on those devices before you disagree. lol

AFAIK, ASUS' phone department is simply trying to keep its Zenfone lineup alive, even in Taiwan. Its share in the phone market in Taiwan goes down to even as low as 1% due to fierce competition from Apple, Samsung, and most importantly all the Chinese manufacturers. We probably won't see any "wow factors" in the Zenfones any time soon. To the very least, not for any of us who won't consider compact phones and just want to post stuff here 🙂

View post
No, I wouldnt say greatly improved at all. It's improved but not greatly. It's still a power hungry chip no matter how you look at it.
Lucky for us qualcomm does seem to finally adress the efficiency concerns with their new gen2 chip.

ktw
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221292#Comment_221292

No, I wouldnt say greatly improved at all. It's improved but not greatly. It's still a power hungry chip no matter how you look at it.

Lucky for us qualcomm does seem to finally adress the efficiency concerns with their new gen2 chip.

View post
smh I'm talking about P/w (& FPS/w) and you are arguing about the total power draw. We are looking at 2 different things so this convo won't go anywhere like this 🙂

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@ktw
No we really aren't. Honestly at this point you're just trying to bullshit people with misinformation.
To make it absolutely clear, so that even you don't have any arguments left:
First, lets debunk real quick why your graphs are worthless.
The graphs are based on total power draw, not actual chip power draw
Then the drivers are on a completely different level, the 870 drivers for instance are horribly outdated, the new drivers have an uplift up to 20% with less powerdraw
Now lets get into the juicy bit. Proving that the gen8+ isnt that much more efficient:
Asus ROG Phone 6 Pro reviewhttps://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone_5-review-2235p3.php
Here we got 2 phones, Rog5 and Rog6, we note that the Rog5 beats the Rog6 in video playback and calling time. How exacly is this a ~20% efficienty uplift? In all honesty, the performance uplift on max gaming performance is maybe around what? 5% at best.
As for why I talk about max performance? Well thats because what people here care about, they want to run their game on max performance not some battery mode. It doesnt change the fact that you can literally make the rog6 go empty from 0-100 in less than 2 hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia06NvMfB50
here is a xiaomi 12s ultra and as you can see the powerdraw is very low compared to most gen8 non plus, however what we notice instantly here is that the game also runs notably worse, this is due to xiaomi knowing their limits and finetune the chip to find a good balance between power and efficiency. It has little to do with the actual chip, but with xiaomi actually trying to tune it, unlike other manufacturers like ASUS who just don't really care.
The 8 + is still a turd, the real deal is around the corner in november, where we get the true next gen, which is the 8 gen2. The Rog6s pro will be vastly superior in terms of efficiency and performance, lets hope until then that they get their shit together, I mean seriously, when your Rog6 loses to an Iphone 13 pro non max in speaker test vs a supposed flagship gaming phone then you clearly are doing something wrong here.

ktw
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

@ktw

No we really aren't. Honestly at this point you're just trying to bullshit people with misinformation.

To make it absolutely clear, so that even you don't have any arguments left:

First, lets debunk real quick why your graphs are worthless.

• The graphs are based on total power draw, not actual chip power draw
  • Then the drivers are on a completely different level, the 870 drivers for instance are horribly outdated, the new drivers have an uplift up to 20% with less powerdraw

Now lets get into the juicy bit. Proving that the gen8+ isnt that much more efficient:

https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone_6_pro-review-2446p3.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone_5-review-2235p3.php

Here we got 2 phones, Rog5 and Rog6, we note that the Rog5 beats the Rog6 in video playback and calling time. How exacly is this a ~20% efficienty uplift? In all honesty, the performance uplift on max gaming performance is maybe around what? 5% at best.

As for why I talk about max performance? Well thats because what people here care about, they want to run their game on max performance not some battery mode. It doesnt change the fact that you can literally make the rog6 go empty from 0-100 in less than 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia06NvMfB50

here is a xiaomi 12s ultra and as you can see the powerdraw is very low compared to most gen8 non plus, however what we notice instantly here is that the game also runs notably worse, this is due to xiaomi knowing their limits and finetune the chip to find a good balance between power and efficiency. It has little to do with the actual chip, but with xiaomi actually trying to tune it, unlike other manufacturers like ASUS who just don't really care.

The 8 + is still a turd, the real deal is around the corner in november, where we get the true next gen, which is the 8 gen2. The Rog6s pro will be vastly superior in terms of efficiency and performance, lets hope until then that they get their shit together, I mean seriously, when your Rog6 loses to an Iphone 13 pro non max in speaker test vs a supposed flagship gaming phone then you clearly are doing something wrong here.

View post
Well, are you just calling everyone who doesn't think in your way misinformation and disagrees with everything? Others can judge 🤣
Note that I never said 8+ Gen 1 is a good chip; it's still bad, but it's relatively better than 8 Gen 1. I only said that 8+ Gen 1 is improved in comparison to 8 Gen 1. I mean, it's of course more energy efficient than 8 Gen 1 'cause 8 Gen 1 is just a total crap.
And of course, we can expect 8 Gen 2 to be the real deal, that part I agree with you. You can continue believing in what you want, and I'll go with what everyone else has seen 🙃