cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revisions and updates : limited shelf life of an Android phone

fergusd84
Rising Star I
I am entirely new to Android.
If I have understood things correctly, even a brand new ZenFone 8 will only be allowed / permitted / capable of achieving (a) updates to the Android OS and (b) security updates for some linited period - what, maybe 2Y or suchlike? Thereafter it will be stuck at that status, regardless of any future developments and protections. The phone will continue to work, probably indefinitely with respect to the OS, but becoming more and more vulnerable as regards security.
Is this really the case? Surely I have got this wrong? And is it a policy imposed by Google or Asus or .. .. ? Even Microsoft offer updates for a decade or more before shutting down support on its various OSs; a car manufacturer woiuld not get away with halting safety notifications and taking any necessary actions.
I am just stunned (but also at my own ignorance). The phone cost approx 800 Euros. I would have anticipated much greater longevity than is implied by the above. What happened when billions of users world-wide presumably objected? (Or not? Is the lure of a brand new phone every two years just too intoxicating?)
Is there any way round this? Even by securing some kind of an extension at some cost?
21 REPLIES 21

erik_paladin
Rising Star I
landsome

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221063#Comment_221063

You explain how things should be, and I generally agree it would be better. You still do not explain why it's such a big problem.

View post
The problem is that with longer device support, we could use the devices for a longer time and not buy a new phone every two years if we wanted new features or compatibility with current software.
But then the companies couldn't sell us those new phones, and their income would decrease.
However, the problem that we have at this exact moment is that we are producing too much new stuff, and that is hurting the entire human population. Of course we have a lot of technology that is of no practical use now, but we also have a lot of technology that could be usable (if not by us, then by somebody else), if only it was supported. But support requires everybody in the chain to contribute: the phone manufacturers to optimize their software/drivers, and for app developers to also focus on optimization, so various apps are usable on less powerful hardware, instead of just focusing on monetization.
This is a complicatedsubject, but one that is very iimportant RIGHT NOW as our (artificial) need for new stuff is literally endangering our existence.

R_2
Rising Star II
erik.paladin

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/221135#Comment_221135

The problem is that with longer device support, we could use the devices for a longer time and not buy a new phone every two years if we wanted new features or compatibility with current software.

But then the companies couldn't sell us those new phones, and their income would decrease.

However, the problem that we have at this exact moment is that we are producing too much new stuff, and that is hurting the entire human population. Of course we have a lot of technology that is of no practical use now, but we also have a lot of technology that could be usable (if not by us, then by somebody else), if only it was supported. But support requires everybody in the chain to contribute: the phone manufacturers to optimize their software/drivers, and for app developers to also focus on optimization, so various apps are usable on less powerful hardware, instead of just focusing on monetization.

This is a complicatedsubject, but one that is very iimportant RIGHT NOW as our (artificial) need for new stuff is literally endangering our existence.

View post
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻I agree with you

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
@fergusd84
Sadly this is a problem with basicially every device, not only phones. Manufacturers want to make devices obsolete so people buy new, be it via software or hardware. Android phones typically have decent support when it comes to repairability of their hardware, but get knee capped because eventually software support will run out, meanwhile apple does the opposite, they will update software more, but knee cap you on the hardware side, they will manipulate the older phones via software and make it impossible for you as a normal consumer to get your phone repaired for a reasonable price. Macbooks get same treatment, some windows notebooks such as Razer also very anti repair to make sure their device gets obsolete as quickly as possible.
There is no reason why ASUS couldnt make a ROM source repo and let the users compile latest google security themselves.

Timo_Vos
Rising Star I
erik.paladin

View post
Totally agree with this.

suppliers
Star I
erik.paladin

View post
I agree with this