This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My two cents on the Zf9

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
After looking at the reviews it seems like a little solid device, what bothers me tho is the fact that its running the gen8.
The Gen7 is the perfect chip, its super efficient, has very good performance and would allow the phone not to overheat and have insane battery life.
It would also lower the price of the phone, starting price for 8GB / 128GB SSD for 799USD is steep.
I'm still concerned about durability, due to how the ZF8 went, but we will see on that one.
17 REPLIES 17

Mattias_ASUS
Danishblunt

After looking at the reviews it seems like a little solid device, what bothers me tho is the fact that its running the gen8.

The Gen7 is the perfect chip, its super efficient, has very good performance and would allow the phone not to overheat and have insane battery life.

It would also lower the price of the phone, starting price for 8GB / 128GB SSD for 799USD is steep.

I'm still concerned about durability, due to how the ZF8 went, but we will see on that one.

My two cents on the Zf9
Starting price is actually 699USD and 799EU.
The Gen 8 chip has some wild battery life, been testing it for a while, I'm always impressed about it.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Mattias_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62417/my-two-cents-on-the-zf9

Starting price is actually 699USD and 799EU.

The Gen 8 chip has some wild battery life, been testing it for a while, I'm always impressed about it.

View post
Not really, its worse than previous gen (SD 865). Budget phones with SD 765 or the new Gen7 will easily outlast the Zf9. That being said the Zf9 has been optimized a ton to sustain and last long on the gen8 as well as possible, this also explains why the Rog6 is in the current bad state. Are there plans on treating the Rog6 similarly or is it going to be thrown in a corner like the Rog5 has been?
Why the rather large discrepancy between EU and US?

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Specify the Country when you announce, in Europe here are the prices almost 15% inflation and they are available for pre-order, which is not the case on the US site announced at 800 for the 16/256

https://estore.asus.com/en/zenfone-9.html
PRICE CONFIGURATION COLOR AVAILABILITY
€799.00 8GB / 128GB Midnight Black Mid-August
€799.00 8GB / 128GB Moonlight White Mid-August
€799.00 8GB / 128GB Sunset Red End of August
€799.00 8GB / 128GB Starry Blue End of August
€849.00 8GB / 256GB Midnight Black Mid-August
€849.00 8GB / 256GB Moonlight White Mid-August
€899.00 16GB / 256GB Midnight Black Mid-August

ktw
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

My two cents on the Zf9
I mean, hey, at least we should be happy that Zf9 is using 8+ Gen 1 fabbed by TSMC, not the crappy 8 Gen 1 fabbed by Samsung anymore 🙃.
Geekerwan released a video of his test results on the performance of 8+ Gen 1 a few weeks ago -- the closer the curve is to the top left, the more energy efficient the chip is. Based on the result, we can see that 8+ is more efficient than 8 in both the CPU and GPU departments.
8plusgen1.png
8plusgen1-2.png
The durability with 8+ Gen 1 also concerns me because Zf9 is a small phone and has limited space for its cooling system, that part I agree with you ☹️.
Lots and lots of reviews have said that heating on 8+ gen 1 is a lot better (i.e. the highest temp it reaches is much lower than the crap 8 Gen 1), but we'll still need to wait and see how it goes after a few months.

As for your suggestion on 7 Gen 1 -- If Zf9 uses 7 Gen 1, the phone will fall into the mid-range/budget phone category. In case you don't know about ASUS enough, the company restructured itself and the phone dev department back in 2018/2019 (quite a few hundred of ppl got laid off) and got rid of the low- and mid-range lineups so that it can focus on delivering ONLY high-end flagship phones. With that said, using 7 Gen 1 or any other mid-range chips will completely contradict the current positioning of the Zenfone line-up, so it's very unlikely with ASUS.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ktw

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62417/my-two-cents-on-the-zf9

I mean, hey, at least we should be happy that Zf9 is using 8+ Gen 1 fabbed by TSMC, not the crappy 8 Gen 1 fabbed by Samsung anymore 🙃.

Geekerwan released a video of his test results on the performance of 8+ Gen 1 a few weeks ago -- the closer the curve is to the top left, the more energy efficient the chip is. Based on the result, we can see that 8+ is more efficient than 8 in both the CPU and GPU departments.

8plusgen1.png

8plusgen1-2.png

The durability with 8+ Gen 1 also concerns me because Zf9 is a small phone and has limited space for its cooling system, that part I agree with you ☹️.

Lots and lots of reviews have said that heating on 8+ gen 1 is a lot better (i.e. the highest temp it reaches is much lower than the crap 8 Gen 1), but we'll still need to wait and see how it goes after a few months.

As for your suggestion on 7 Gen 1 -- If Zf9 uses 7 Gen 1, the phone will fall into the mid-range/budget phone category. In case you don't know about ASUS enough, the company restructured itself and the phone dev department back in 2018/2019 (quite a few hundred of ppl got laid off) and got rid of the low- and mid-range lineups so that it can focus on delivering ONLY high-end phones. With that said, using 7 Gen 1 or any other mid-range chips will completely contradict the current positioning of the Zenfone line-up, so it's very unlikely with ASUS.

View post
I don't like what I'm seeing because it's the total power draw of the phones, not just the chip. It's misleading.
I mean I can see that the phone department is failing hard given what we see with the latest phones thus far.