System: Windows 10 64 bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: UX425EA
Frequency of occurrence: very frequently
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
I have a lot of problems with WIFI connection. Last week I updated the WIFI Driver and continued having the same issue. I bought an external WIFI (TP-Link) device connected through USB and it happens the same.
The curious thing is that I have a second laptop (work laptop Lenovo T470) that works perfectly well using the standard WIFI driver from the computer.
Can you please assess me on what might be happening and what I need to do to make the WIFI work properly?
Kind regards
Joan Navarro
13 REPLIES 13

Heavens_Eagle
Star I
Thanks Falcon
I have already been all the way down that route. Nothing worked, or if it did, it only lasted till the next reboot or the machine going into sleep mode.
Just a few minutes ago I visited with an ASUS tech person. Once she realized what I had already been through on the troubleshooting, she pretty much didn't try to beat around the bush. I commented that this is a bios problem isn't it and the latest upgrades were the problem. She didn't even hesitate to admit that I was correct in the assumption that the problem is in the latest bios versions from ASUS. This is why the start, go to bios and do the (F9) Reset Defaults works for some folks.
New machine, worked perfect out of the box.
Bios upgrade to 309, wifi goes erratic.
Win 10 big update with a second Bios upgrade to 312, wifi goes completely away. Windows is now version 21H2
New machine, do a Recovery and reset PC back to original install version 20H2. WiFi worked perfectly after original install but still doesn't work with reset. Only difference is 2 bios updates and Wifi doesn't work at all with original OS and new bios.
Basically, until ASUS pulls their collective heads out and fixes the Bios FUBAR we are up the proverbial brown river rapids without propulsion.

Falcon_ASUS
Heavens Eagle

Thanks Falcon

I have already been all the way down that route. Nothing worked, or if it did, it only lasted till the next reboot or the machine going into sleep mode.

Just a few minutes ago I visited with an ASUS tech person. Once she realized what I had already been through on the troubleshooting, she pretty much didn't try to beat around the bush. I commented that this is a bios problem isn't it and the latest upgrades were the problem. She didn't even hesitate to admit that I was correct in the assumption that the problem is in the latest bios versions from ASUS. This is why the start, go to bios and do the (F9) Reset Defaults works for some folks.

New machine, worked perfect out of the box.

Bios upgrade to 309, wifi goes erratic.

Win 10 big update with a second Bios upgrade to 312, wifi goes completely away. Windows is now version 21H2

New machine, do a Recovery and reset PC back to original install version 20H2. WiFi worked perfectly after original install but still doesn't work with reset. Only difference is 2 bios updates and Wifi doesn't work at all with original OS and new bios.

Basically, until ASUS pulls their collective heads out and fixes the Bios FUBAR we are up the proverbial brown river rapids without propulsion.

View post
@Heavens Eagle
I will report your questions to the relevant department. Since you are a newly purchased laptop, if you have doubts about the product, I would suggest you report it to the dealer to confirm whether it can be returned or exchanged. Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

Heavens_Eagle
Star I
I contacted ASUS tech support last night and actually got a lady that wasn't one of the usual call center "follow the script" people. Once we visited a little I think she realized that I wasn't one of the usual know nothings that call in. I ran through some of the things I had done and basically how nothing would make the wifi operate. Finally I just asked her point blank if the problems that I was seeing everyone have was actually a problem in the bios upgrades that my system installed. She point blank admitted that was the problem and that they were working on it, but no idea when it would be fixed.
I would revert the bios back to what It came with if that was a possibility, but apparently cannot be done.

Heavens_Eagle
Star I
I have continued to fiddle with this new machine (a TUF706HM-ES76 notebook). I can get the wi-fi to operate, ONLY, if I do a 20 second shutdown press on the power button, then restart followed by a F2 open bios. Then F9 reset, and F10 save and exit. (Not done yet) Windows opens, go into "Settings>Network & Internet>Wi-Fi" click on show available networks where upon none of the dozen or so local networks show up. Go back to Status and select "Network Reset". Let the machine do it's slow reset. The 5 minute wait at this point is stupid!! Who would be doing this if they already had not shut down all open programs or apps.
Machine shuts down, let it fully shut down and restart it. Go back into bios, F9 Enter, F10 Enter, let Windows restart. At this point it will rarely fire up the wi-fi and connect to the internet. If not I go to "Settings>Network & Internet>Wi-Fi" and click on "Show Available Networks". Usually it will show the local networks at this point and connect though it has to work at it. Usually it will stay connected until the next time I shut down the machine.
Reboot, Window 10 starts, No Wi-fi connect. Go into "Settings>Network & Internet>Wi-Fi" click on "Show Available Networks" and again none of the dozen local networks show up.
I can repeat this to get the wifi to work, but "I SHOULD NOT BE HAVING TOO!!!!!" There is definitely a real problem with the current software/bios on these machines. Until ASUS and their partners FIX THIS SHIT, it is never going to work properly! At the end of this week (7-29-2022) I am going to contact Amazon and return it. If not for this problem I like the machine, but no wi-fi means I cannot use it for what I need. The current bios version is 312. This is a second machine that I have tried to make worthwhile and ASUS has just dumped on it.

Heavens_Eagle
Star I
Alright, tonight I went all out. Was going to hammer the Windows 10 OS and try and knock it down. New machine, and nothing on it I needed to keep. The Wi-Fi is basically not working at all and I am one step from returning this to AMAZON.
Made a boot Windows 10 install on a USB drive and tried to do a install over the original setup. All I did was FUBAR it all. The machine after this would start but Win10 had problems. I finally figured out where to look up the Bitlocker recovery key code to allow Win10 to fix itself. It set working for quite a while and then it went out to ASUS to reset the entire install to the original ASUS start up. It downloaded that from ASUS.
When it finally finished the down load and all the initial Win10 setup was out of the way (again for the 3rd time) and Win10 started, guess what happened?
The Wi-Fi woke up went out and connected as it was supposed to before I even entered my code. It has continued to do so and I have locked the machine down to prevent any more updates. It basically went and did a full ASUS brand Win10 reset back to 20H2 version. There is a registry edit that can be done to lock the updates to a set version and prevent an update to Win11 if you so desire. I have now opened worked with and shut down the machine 5 or 6 times and the Wi-Fi has come up AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO, every time.
The only problem with this is that is stripped EVERYTHING back to the original install. It removed the few items I had place in the machine and everything was exactly as it was originally.
I did go to the Armoury Crate and had it do a full update on itself. Then shut down and restarted a few times to test the WiFi and make sure it still worked. It still seems to work like a champ.
Note I did do a Win10 reset back to 20H2 last week and it didn't seem to correct the problem. Apparently one of the file updates for Windows causes a FUBAR problem with the ASUS WiFi device. My machine is now going to stay locked at the current version until ASUS manages to get a valid fix out for their devices, I am talking an actual fix, not a work around.
If you are more adventurous, you might clean everything off your machine and crash out Win10 so that it will need to have the ASUS brand of the OS downloaded. Be sure to have your Bitlocker recovery key code for the current Identifier on your machine. Do a search and you will find the info to get the code. It can be found at Microsoft in your account there. It is also possible to have your machine make a *.txt with the information, and I would do that as it is much easier than having to try and guess how to find it.