ErikWang
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Asus ROG phone 5s
Firmware Version: 31.0810.1226.91
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I want to configure the DNS to my local IP. However, it keeps automatically add 8:8:8:8 as one of the DNS server. Even if I configure 2 DNS server, it will still add 8:8:8:8 as the 3rd DNS server.
I tried disable the private DNS and it doesn't work.
Any help on this is appreciated.
screenshot-20220714-231429961-1.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

ErikWang
Star II
I do tried adding the same IP as the secondary, and it doesn't work as well. The 8.8.8.8 always there for no reason

FunBike31
Community Legend I
that's what i was saying, you don't have an android device
OxygenOS is based on Android but unlike other manufacturers, it is not Android with an overlay, OnePlus develops OxygenOS in depth and it is fully optimized and only compatible with OnePlus devices.
One and the other are not comparable, whereas with 80% of the other manufacturers, they just develop a few additional applications and work on the interface, but the base is Android/Google.
That being said, this does not explain that you cannot do it, this dns 8.8.8.8 only goes up if there is something wrong in the DNS resolution 1 and 2

Mattias_ASUS
I am investigating this

FunBike31
Community Legend I
You should come to the same conclusions as me 🙂

On Android <9 this should work, versions 9 and later only accept a DNS hostname in private dns
The OnePlus was supposed to be in 8.1 but Android on OnePlus not being Google it is possible that compatibility with previous versions is retained.
To use a private DNS server it must support Android devices, this is far from the case but it must be possible to have a workaround, give a dns hostname to the ip address in hosts file
The simplest solution for users who do not have extensive network training is certainly to replace a private DNS server that is not compatible with Android device by a compatible one, such as AdGuard Home for example.
The first question is unanswered, except as long as nslookup "myserverdns.mydomain" doesn't return 192.168.0.102 it won't work
myserverdns.mydomain as an example of course which must be the host name of its DNS server

ErikWang
Star II
FunBike31

You should come to the same conclusions as me 🙂

On Android <9 this should work, versions 9 and later only accept a DNS hostname in private dns

The OnePlus was supposed to be in 8.1 but Android on OnePlus not being Google it is possible that compatibility with previous versions is retained.

To use a private DNS server it must support Android devices, this is far from the case but it must be possible to have a workaround, give a dns hostname to the ip address in hosts file

The simplest solution for users who do not have extensive network training is certainly to replace a private DNS server that is not compatible with Android device by a compatible one, such as AdGuard Home for example.

The first question is unanswered, except as long as nslookup "myserverdns.mydomain" doesn't return 192.168.0.102 it won't work

myserverdns.mydomain as an example of course which must be the host name of its DNS server

View post
I only gave u one example which is oneplus, but there are many other device in my home. From laptop, desktop, apple, and android (OnePlus, Samsung, Xiaomi, Pixel, Huawei). All works fine, except this phone.
I also tried changed the DNS in my router directly. Again, all other device works, except this phone. Coz it just append 8.8.8.8 to whatever wifi network it connects.