This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for Volte on Android 12 for rog phone 3

chaoticusrex
Star II
The only solution currently for Volte on Android 12 on the rog phone 3 is to revert back to Android 11 which will wipe all of your data. When we were part of the beta we could message the mods and request a file that would allow us to reinstall Android 11. This file could not be shared with the public and it was warned you'd lose all your data. Waking up to Android 12 this morning and the same problem with volte still persists. I've kept the file handy and confirms it still works. Restarting now to get android 11 back.

I'm sorry mods but the people need to know you can provide a fix for them. It may cause them to lose data but if it's the only solution. People have to know. You also should warn people on the release notes before they upgrade. You knew this was an issue and you still pushed the update. This is on you now.
@CH_ASUS @ARP_ASUS @Falcon_ASUS @Christine_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS @fussion_ASUS @Irene2_ASUS
49 REPLIES 49

marksbras
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/219153#Comment_219153

Turn autoupdate off

View post
I paused it but it will not allow me to make any changes to include turning off auto update

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
marksbras

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/219154#Comment_219154

I paused it but it will not allow me to make any changes to include turning off auto update

View post
It should, go to the firmware download section, klick on the settings wheel, and change "download wifi/mobile network" to "do not allow"

marksbras
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/219155#Comment_219155

It should, go to the firmware download section, klick on the settings wheel, and change "download wifi/mobile network" to "do not allow"

View post
It has greyed out the option so I am retrying but turning off wifi before the reboot hoping it will allow me to do it before allowing the phone to connect to anything. By turning wifi off and then bypassing most of the setup it did allow me to get to the system update area and turn off auto update so at least it is now on Android 11 and I can get it setup to see if functionality is back. I can say that volte is back and it looks like I am back to 5g so it now appears promising

ClownVixen
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/62072/fix-for-volte-on-android-12-for-rog-phone-3

Are you ok? The firmware to downgrade is public since a long time, there is no need to request any files or whatnot.

@GT500 its most likely the latter, hotfix should be out relatively soon. As you have wonderfully pointed out, in some countries VoLTE is needed to be able to call anyone which means ASUS is most likely going to hurry getting it out.

@ClownVixen No worries, support page is still there, google has to adjust to the new url, it happens every now and then when ASUS fiddles on their site.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/ROG%20Phone%203%20(ZS661KS)/HelpDesk_BIOS/

View post
Thanks for the link. I was able to downgrade to Android 11 and now have VoLTE and calling capabilities again.
The sad thing is: it deleted my Google backup when it signed out of Google and I lost all of my messages and such. I don't believe I can restore a Google backup that is a higher version anyways.
I did, however, copy every file from the Asus to my computer before doing this...so maybe I can find the messages in one of those files/folders.
If any of you do revert back: make sure you have a way to save everything you're wanting to keep. I knew it would remove everything, but I was an idiot to rely on Google backup. 😆
Also, do not connect to WiFi or data before going to your settings and disabling automatic updates... because it will download Android 12 before your phone gets to the home screen.
I tried to restore before it installed, but it still loaded up with Android 12. I then downloaded Android 11 again and started the process over, but this time: I did not connect to WiFi or my mobile data until I shut off automatic updates.
At least my phone is a phone again. Still disappointed, but technology, eh?

GT500
Star III
Danishblunt

@GT500 Oh and as for security fix, honestly its irrelevant because ASUS actually is good when it comes to security fixes. It's very misleading to take the month of a security update as how well a company applies security fixes to their phones, ASUS does bigger batches than other companies and its open source, if you want to have all the security updates regularly you can use kirisakura kernel since he updates it frequently, hell because of people like kirisakura the phone is more secure than many other phones on the market. Hell its 2022 and the Rog2 still gets updated. Compare that to other phones such as the Razer phone 2 (stuck on A9), Black shark 2 (a10) and Nubia RM 3 (A10) youll find that ASUS actually provides excellent support especially for a gaming phone. The Rog2 would stay secure until its hardware is dead, software wise it won't be dead anytime soon. Also another sidenote, the software and firmware update quality on the Rog phones are is so much better than even mainstream phones like Oneplus.

Is ASUS perfect? Hell no

Is ASUS absolute dogsht? Hell no.

I'd say they are upper mid tier, not as good as the top, but still notably better than the average phone manufacturer. If they would promise as much OS update as Samsung they would be top tier, the only thing holding ASUS back is being limited to "only" 2OS upgrades.

View post
You may want to familiarize yourself with how Google does security patches for Android. I'll go ahead and explain it briefly below, but this is sort of hijacking the thread since it isn't about device security.
The way it works is that, similar to how Microsoft does monthly updates for Windows, Google will publish security patches for Android at the beginning of every month. They will publish two patch levels, one that will be dated the 1st of the month and only contains some of the month's security patches, and the other will be dated the 5th of the month and will contain all of the security patches for the month. You can check your currently installed patch level in your phone's settings by going to "About phone" and looking for "Android security patch level" (this is clearly stated in Google's documentation for Android on their website).
While Google has been slowly moving more and more things over to being updated via Google Play with each new version of Android, most core components of Android are still updated with the firmware, and this needs to be done by the device manufacturer every single month. ASUS has refused to do this with the ROG Phone 3, just like they refused to do it with the Zenfone 3 back in the day. Take a look at the firmware release history for the ROG Phone 3, and you will see gaps of anywhere from 3 to 6 months between firmware updates once the ROG Phone 5 was released, leaving their customers' phones vulnerability to critical security vulnerabilities for extended periods of time on a phone that is still officially supported by the manufacturer (which I consider to be unacceptable).
You're correct that they did a better job with the ROG Phone 2, continuing to do monthly firmware updates even after the ROG Phone 3 was released. This is the reason I purchased the ROG Phone 3, because it looked like ASUS was finally taking device security seriously and giving their customers monthly security updates. Unfortunately they have failed yet again to deliver the basic security patches that Android devices require, and from a security standpoint I would have been better off with almost any other phone from any other manufacturer.
As for the size of the updates, that's irrelevant. They can make those larger or smaller just by adding or removing bundled bloatware apps, and the size of the update doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the number of security patches or how secure the software in the firmware image is.