This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for Volte on Android 12 for rog phone 3

chaoticusrex
Star II
The only solution currently for Volte on Android 12 on the rog phone 3 is to revert back to Android 11 which will wipe all of your data. When we were part of the beta we could message the mods and request a file that would allow us to reinstall Android 11. This file could not be shared with the public and it was warned you'd lose all your data. Waking up to Android 12 this morning and the same problem with volte still persists. I've kept the file handy and confirms it still works. Restarting now to get android 11 back.

I'm sorry mods but the people need to know you can provide a fix for them. It may cause them to lose data but if it's the only solution. People have to know. You also should warn people on the release notes before they upgrade. You knew this was an issue and you still pushed the update. This is on you now.
@CH_ASUS @ARP_ASUS @Falcon_ASUS @Christine_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS @fussion_ASUS @Irene2_ASUS
49 REPLIES 49

GT500
Star III
They'll have to publish a firmware update to fix VoLTE on effected phones, and it may take them some time to do it since they at least claimed they had to add VoLTE support for each carrier separately (so they may have to fix it for each carrier separately).
If it's something simple like a config error where VoLTE was switched off in the firmware by mistake, and all they need to do is switch it back on and publish a new firmware build, then maybe the fix will be quick. If not then expect it to take a while (as in possibly weeks to months depending on which carriers they prioritize).
Regardless, removal of features like this when upgrading to a new major version of Android (first VoWiFi and now VoLTE) and the refusal to publish monthly security updates are pushing me to never buy another ASUS phone. At this point all good will is out the window, and ASUS has failed one too many times (the ROG Phone 3 is my third ASUS phone over the years).
And since ASUS support will probably want to know, my carrier is Simple Mobile which uses T-Mobile's network in the USA. Both VoLTE and VoWiFi worked just fine with this service when I purchased the phone at the end of 2020. When I moved in to a new home at the end of 2021 I found the VoWiFi was no longer available (presumably killed off with the Android 11 update but I didn't need it previously and didn't use it) and now I've lost VoLTE and have no way to make phone calls at all unless I pay for a SIP account and use a SIP enabled app on my phone instead of using the phone service I already pay for...

marksbras
Star II
The Android 12 notes indicate the eliminated SIP support. Not sure if what you are suggesting is an alternative to use SIP because I honestly don't understand it.

GT500
Star III
marksbras

The Android 12 notes indicate the eliminated SIP support. Not sure if what you are suggesting is an alternative to use SIP because I honestly don't understand it.

View post
SIP is a type of old-school VoIP account that's still used today. It has nothing to do with VoWiFi (Voice over WiFi) or VoLTE (Voice over LTE).
Some service providers today require VoLTE in order to make or receive calls on their networks. T-Mobile's date for requiring VoLTE to make/receive calls was January 2021, and AT&T's date was February 2022.
Considering the fact that the ROG Phone 3 doesn't seem to work with Verizon or U.S. Cellular (or at least it looks that way from a quick search), ASUS just disabled/broke voice service on their U.S. customer's phones.

ClownVixen
Star II
I went to download the firmware to revert back to Android 11, but the Rog Phone 3 does not even show up anymore on their support page. The entire section with the drivers and firmware has disappeared.

It's a bit mysterious considering it was there two days ago, but now the option of downgrading is no longer there.