ErikWang
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Asus ROG phone 5s
Firmware Version: 31.0810.1226.91
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I want to configure the DNS to my local IP. However, it keeps automatically add 8:8:8:8 as one of the DNS server. Even if I configure 2 DNS server, it will still add 8:8:8:8 as the 3rd DNS server.
I tried disable the private DNS and it doesn't work.
Any help on this is appreciated.
screenshot-20220714-231429961-1.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Do you have a DNS server on your private network?, is it under windows server 2016 or Linux?, what does nslookup answer you - 192.168.0.102? , if you have a DNS server at home, logically you must have PCs, no problem with them and your local DNS?

ErikWang
Star II
FunBike31

Do you have a DNS server on your private network?, is it under windows server 2016 or Linux?, what does nslookup answer you - 192.168.0.102? , if you have a DNS server at home, logically you must have PCs, no problem with them and your local DNS?

View post
I do have a local DNS server (pihole) and other devices are connected to it, except for this phone. The problem is when I set the 192.168.0.102 as the only DNS address, it will automatically append the 8.8.8.8 as the 2nd DNS. So it just bypass my own 192.168.0.102 and use 8.8.8.8. I can't find any settings related to this. I think it is just a weird bugs for this firmware.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
When you say other devices, there is no Android I imagine because I think that if you test another Android it will be the same problem.
This is not specific to ASUS but to Android/Google where there is hard dsn coding.
You can try several things, disable IPv6 on your ISP router because I think it continues to try the dns of the router
If you have a terminal/console application for android you can run and see if the addresses are IPv4 or 6
getprop net.dns1
getprop net.dns2
You can also try to put in the 2 static DNS entries the same, i.e. 192.168.0.102 in dns1 and 2
also check that if you use DHCP there is only the Pi-Hole one and if it is static that there is no more DHCP server (router, Box, etc....)

4 or 5 years ago there was a specific topic at Pi-Hole, the title was something like "Pi-Hole works everywhere except Android"
For me it's not a firmware bug, just that Google thinks it's unavoidable and will look for 8.8.8.8

ErikWang
Star II
FunBike31

When you say other devices, there is no Android I imagine because I think that if you test another Android it will be the same problem.

This is not specific to ASUS but to Android/Google where there is hard dsn coding.

You can try several things, disable IPv6 on your ISP router because I think it continues to try the dns of the router

If you have a terminal/console application for android you can run and see if the addresses are IPv4 or 6

getprop net.dns1

getprop net.dns2

You can also try to put in the 2 static DNS entries the same, i.e. 192.168.0.102 in dns1 and 2

also check that if you use DHCP there is only the Pi-Hole one and if it is static that there is no more DHCP server (router, Box, etc....)

4 or 5 years ago there was a specific topic at Pi-Hole, the title was something like "Pi-Hole works everywhere except Android"

For me it's not a firmware bug, just that Google thinks it's unavoidable and will look for 8.8.8.8

View post
My other devices do include android. I have a OnePlus 6 and it just works. I basically duplicate the wifi settings and it just doesn't work the same in this Asus phone.

FYI, I do tried add another random IP as the secondary, but then the Asus phone will just add the 8.8.8.8 as the third DNS IP.