This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you buy the Rog6

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
I just wanted to remind you guys that you should wait before purchasing the phone. So far there have been some changes that I really liked to see, however there were no changes in some regards that make me wonder if this is going to be another Rog 5 fiasco.

disclaimer I don't own the Rog6 yet.
Some thoughts beforehand:
Display: The amoled display seems awfully similair to the Rog5, only even more overclocked. Which means, more powerdraw. Pixelworks as usual in for the ride, meaning the delta < 1 is probably wrong again, however it seems they did not put in the dumbass motion chip which is already a huge stepup from the Rog 5. I don't think there will be any severe color banding issues this time around, however youll probably have the usual crushed blacks and blue / yellow tint. Albeit not very strong, very normal for a flagship with OLED.
Cooling: The cooling has no real huge benefit over the Rog5, while its larger and theoreticly better, it's passive cooling capabilities are going to be rather poor. Having the huge cooler on the back is a must, which is to me at least, quite annoying. Sad that they still didnt go the lenovo / Nubia route.
Performance: Yeah, performance is going to be very dependant on the cooler, once its used, the performance will most likely be great, without it, its going to be quite disastrous. I cant comment to much yet however, due to not enough data on this topic. The only thing I do know for a fact, it is going to perform rather poorly without the cooler.
Features: The Rog5 had some really bs features nobody wanted that would put the price higher for no reason. lucky for us they didnt bother with the essabre dac and seemingly got away with the dumb motionchip. However the useless 2nd screen is still there. The capacitive shoulderbuttons are still capacitive, so not physical buttons like on the black shark.
Dissapointments from my side:
They didnt get rid of the dumb display on the back which would drain battery for no reason.
Still capacitive instead of physical buttons
Speakers seem the same, despite normal phones being quite close to the speaker of the Rog5.
Durability concerns are still there due to their absolutely dumb decision to center the PCB and have batteries left and right.
Fingerprint seems quite bad once again. Really would have liked on the powerbutton or on the back.
Due to how similair the Phone is to the previous gen, also the power IC dying concern is also there.
Battery life is quite piss poor. You can empty the battery on games like genshin within 2 hours.
While the cooler provided with the phone is undoubtibly powerful and does what it should do, its very clunky and I would have liked something like a built in fan way more than having that chunk on my phone.
The goods:
It seems at the very least the provided cooler is powerful enough to cool down the phone.
They got rid of SOME of the nonsense
upgraded cameras
software packages have evolved, always a nice plus.

Overall, While I do see improvements in some ways, I still see some very obvious flaws as well. While these are mostly theories based on what I can see with limited ressources, only time will tell. I sincerely hope and think that the rog6 might actually be what the rog5 should have been, that being said, we never know.
I would generally not recommend anyone buying a Rog6 just yet, if youre in a region where you cannot get the active cooler, defnitely 100% do not buy, it will NOT be a good experience.

19 REPLIES 19

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ktw

Nah. ASUS still has room for improvement for its image processing algo. The HDR is generally soft, something that many would agree with. The low light condition is definitely one of ASUS's weaknesses, and without OIS it's worse. And although we've seen improvements in conditions with backlighting for the past few years, it's still not as good as other real top-tier flagship phones.

I think MKBHD has it pretty well said about the camera experience on ROG Phone 6 (and that also applies to other ROG Phones). People buying this phone are probably not for the camera, but at its price point, you would expect it to at least keep up with other premium-priced flagship phones out there. The thing is that it just feels a level behind.

View post
Thats bs. The hdr on the asus phones arent to soft. Infact its the other phonrs that are typicially oversharpened as hell, this is espeicialy true for phones like galaxy s and iphone. As for low light, its correct that in default mode it struggles however in actual night mode it usually outperforms even gcam. Only issue i can find with the processing algorythm is when using zoom, then it starts sharpening the fk out of the images.
Its funny that you mention mhkb which also has shown. That the zenfone 7 won the camera competition with the same software as the rog phones.

ktw
Rising Star II
If you are happy with it, so be it 🙂
And I knew you were going to bring up the 2020 result kek 😛. I have the Zenfone 7 Pro myself and I'm happy with it most of the time and to see that it won the camera test in 2020 -- the catch is that you'll need to pay careful attention to MKBHD's analysis on how the votes were broken down and why people voted it over Mi 10 Ultra in the final round. It's also funny that you are taking the result for Zenfone 7 Pro as proof that this new ROG phone is top-tier just like its Zenfone brothers despite all the flaws that you admitted, some of which the Zenfone is also struggling with.
Better go check on people's photo reviews on ROG Phone 6 under different conditions, mate, and you'll see why FunBike31 and I had our opinions on the "upgraded camera"

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ktw

If you are happy with it, so be it 🙂

And I knew you were going to bring up the 2020 result kek 😛. I have the Zenfone 7 Pro myself and I'm happy with it most of the time and to see that it won the camera test in 2020 -- the catch is that you'll need to pay careful attention to MKBHD's analysis on how the votes were broken down and why people voted it over Mi 10 Ultra in the final round. It's also funny that you are taking the result for Zenfone 7 Pro as proof that this new ROG phone is top-tier just like its Zenfone brothers despite all the flaws that you admitted, some of which the Zenfone is also struggling with.

Better go check on people's photo reviews on ROG Phone 6 under different conditions, mate, and you'll see why FunBike31 and I had our opinions on the "upgraded camera"

View post
Instead of telling people to "go check" how about you provide actual samples? I'm open to anything as long you don't start some vague explanation like "if you knew how" without any source to explain it or give context. Sadly the problems I mentioned exist also in most other flaghsips. I have no fking clue why they have to oversharpen everything.

EDIT: Ok so I checked some sources such as GSMarena that posts full resolution images and you are right. The processing on the new lens is much worse than previous gen. There is some odd oversharpening and denoise / or noise going on that makes picture look way more "cartoonish" or grainy.

Best example can be seen here:
https://fdn.gsmarena.com/imgroot/reviews/21/asus-rog-phone-5/camera/gsmarena_020.jpg

https://fdn.gsmarena.com/imgroot/reviews/22/asus-rog-phone-6-pro/camera/gsmarena_016.jpg

The rog6 is more grainy, oversharpened, still noisy despite denoise and oversaturated. While the Rog5 looks extremely good.

CHOOZR
Zen Master I
hmm, has anyone tried using Gcam.apk?

BPM
Rising Star II
Personally, I'm disappointed in the lack of support for the TwinView Dock. I use it a lot on the ROG Phone 3, so the ROG Phone 6 missing support for it doesn't make me want to replace my current phone. 😛