This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love my ROG 5 and its audio capabilities. Could we use it as an external DAC/AMP? (suggestion)

Wagnelles
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 5 128GB (base model)
Firmware Version: WW-31.0810.1226.91
Rooted or not: Not rooted, all stock
Frequency of Occurrence: No bugs
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Hope to get one soon!
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I feel like this is one of those "why no one thought of this before" moments where I'll soon find out that it's not that simple.
Regardless, I wanted mention it anyway. While I don't game on the phone that much, the audio this thing can output never ceases to amaze me. I pair it with a Sony WH-1000XM3 + Wavelet response correction + personal EQ tuned to my V-shaped EQ tastes.
It would be awesome if I could plug the phone in other devices like TV, PC, and console to passthrough audio via the USB port and output to my headphones, just like DAC/AMP devices you can buy. If such thing is possible, it would certainly add much value to the phone's capabilities.
Also, let me know in case that was already possible and I just didn't know about it.
Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

smchay
Rising Star I
Definitely workable and a great idea 👍👍👍
Unfortunately its the wrong brand and Asus doesn't have the talent capable of making it happen 😓
To be honest, I forsee Asus heading the same direction as Sony where their smartphones division are concerned 🤦
Anyone remember HTC??? 🤔

FunBike31
Community Legend I
lol, don't put it all on the back of ASUS, complain to Pichai Sundararajan, since he's at the head of Google, the advanced features are removed one after the other.
Here is one of the deleted features, existing until Android 8.1, disappeared in 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13
Screen of my G5s+ (Android 8.1), Screen of my Rog5 (same on G7+, G8 and G200) and on all Androids since version 9

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Afterwards, it is true that the use is limited, the Fiber, RCA, Coax socket remains essential for me, it will not replace my external dac but I recognize that it will be useful from time to time.

Mattias_ASUS
@Wagnelles Since this feature was taken away from Android I'm not entirely sure it can be implemented with normal software.
But... I'll just write it as a request since this is something that interest me too, lol.