This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook Duo (16:10) with Full HD Projector

awi64
Star II
I'm about to buy a Zenbook Duo, but still not sure which model. My decision mainly depends on the screen resolution. I need some advice, please, because I do quite a lot of presentation work.
I have never owned a notebook with more than a Full HD display, and I wonder how a Zenbook Duo (16:10, 2880 x 1800 pixel, model 90NB0X72-M004J0) behaves when it's connected to a Full HD projector (strictly 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel) over HDMI.
With Windows display mode set to "Duplicate", I'd like to use the Zenbook's secondary display as my Powerpoint presenter screen, and the main display for the audience. When the HDMI connection is made, my expectation is that the Zenbook's Main Display would reduce its resolution to 1920 x 1080 (I know this might look fuzzy). And to adapt to the the Full HD aspect ratio, it should also change from 16:10 to 16:9. Somehow. Here's my problem: Black bars on top & bottom? Will the Main Display stretch the vertical axis? Will the projector show a squeezed image or even some bars left & right?
Thank you for your support.
Andreas
4 REPLIES 4

potatosubwoofer
Rising Star II
(I might have misunderstood your question but I'm going to post this anyway since I already typed it out and it might still be able to help you)
I do not know the behaviour for the model you mentioned or for other models but I can tell you what windows does when displays are different sizes/resolutions. For reference, I have the Zenbook Duo UX482EG, which is the 2021 edition 14" .
Since the main display is the 1920x1080, the lower screen will "downsize" to the same aspect ratio and scale appropriately when set to "duplicate display". I often run with either a projector, an EGPU or up to four displays of different resolutions. If you set the display mode to "duplicate", it will scale any attached displays to the aspect ratio of one of the displays. (Edit: Not sure which one whether the external or the main display to be honest. However, I have never seen it stretch the display as you are worried about, it should always scale the image to fit the screen. So if the aspect ratio is different it will scale it to fit with appropriate black bars to fill the gaps)
This might make it unusable for presenting in your suggested way as the lower screen would show a tiny version of your upper screen with black bars on the left/right of the lower screen. I would recommend to simply use both displays in "extended" mode and do your presentation in multiple display mode (Powerpoint and Google Slides both offer this option) so your slides and notes are visible on the skinnier bottom screen.
Another suggestion is to go to a place where they have your model on demonstration and ask them to hook it up so you can see what the behaviour is.

awi64
Star II
Thanks, you got me right.
I think you are correct: the screenpad might follow the main display (and hence the HDMI out) since I can't say "hey Windows, please just duplicate the main screen over HDMI", right? So my plans were doomed to fail anyway.
[...] use both displays in "extended" mode and do your presentation in multiple display mode (Powerpoint and Google Slides both offer this option)
sounds plausible. Unfortunately, no store around has a Zenbook in stock.

awi64
Star II
I have found a comprehensive explanation on how to setup Powerpoint with three monitors. Seems very promising. Unfortunately, the forum won't let newbies post any links here. So Google for "Present on multiple monitors (and view speaker notes privately)" site:support.microsoft.com
Anyway, my remaining, basic question is:
Can the Zenbook Duo, model 2022, mirror its main screen to the HDMI output, while the screenpad remains autonomous?
From what I've learned now, I think it cannot.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.