System: Windows 11
Battery or AC: AC
Model: SBC-06D2X-U
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hi there,

I've purchased recently the external Blu Ray drive SBC-06D2X-U for my UX482 Zenbook duo.
The Blu Ray drive comes with a Y-USB-Cable for data and power supply. As the Zenbook has only one USB-Port I would like to connect the Data-Cable to the laptop and the power supply cable to a charger.

Can anybody confirm that this is OK? According to the label on the backside of the drive the demand is 5V/2.0 Amp. I have a charger for my old Beats By Dre Headset with 5V/2.1 Amp. - can I use this?

Or should I purchase a mini-USB 2.0 to USB-C cable?

Thanks
Gio
4 REPLIES 4

Falcon_ASUS
Gio Tee
  1. System: Windows 11
  2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: SBC-06D2X-U
  4. Frequency of occurrence:
  5. Reset OS:
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:Hi there,

I've purchased recently the external Blu Ray drive SBC-06D2X-U for my UX482 Zenbook duo.

The Blu Ray drive comes with a Y-USB-Cable for data and power supply. As the Zenbook has only one USB-Port I would like to connect the Data-Cable to the laptop and the power supply cable to a charger.

Can anybody confirm that this is OK? According to the label on the backside of the drive the demand is 5V/2.0 Amp. I have a charger for my old Beats By Dre Headset with 5V/2.1 Amp. - can I use this?

Or should I purchase a mini-USB 2.0 to USB-C cable?

Thanks

Gio

External Power Supply for external Blu Ray Drive SBC-06D2X-U
@Gio Tee
It should be no problem, but I still recommend you to ask the manufacturer of Blu Ray drive again whether the operation method can be executed. Thank you.

Gio_Tee
Star II
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/61095/external-power-supply-for-external-blu-ray-drive-sbc-06...

@Gio Tee

It should be no problem, but I still recommend you to ask the manufacturer of Blu Ray drive again whether the operation method can be executed. Thank you.

View post
Dear Falcon,

manufacturer of the Blu Ray drive is Asus 🙂
I've connected the main USB-plug from the Y-cable on the USB-port of the Zenbook duo and it works without any problem. You can even burn a Blu Ray disc. I asume that the USB-port of the computer has enough power for the external drive.

But I am still confused why Asus is using an Y-cable which is not a standard.

I think the best way is to purchase a mini-USB 2.0 to UBS-C cable.
BR

Update: I've contacted the German customer support by phone. They told me that I can plug the USB-A from the drive to a USB-A to USB-C adapter. This will work on the Zenbook without problem.

Falcon_ASUS
Gio Tee

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/214854#Comment_214854

Dear Falcon,

manufacturer of the Blu Ray drive is Asus 🙂

I've connected the main USB-plug from the Y-cable on the USB-port of the Zenbook duo and it works without any problem. You can even burn a Blu Ray disc. I asume that the USB-port of the computer has enough power for the external drive.

But I am still confused why Asus is using an Y-cable which is not a standard.

I think the best way is to purchase a mini-USB 2.0 to UBS-C cable.

BR

Update: I've contacted the German customer support by phone. They told me that I can plug the USB-A from the drive to a USB-A to USB-C adapter. This will work on the Zenbook without problem.

View post
@Gio Tee
We apologize for any inconvenience caused and your valuable advice will be included in future design and optimization considerations. Thank you.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.