Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 Proximity Sensor

immelmanj
Star I
Hi,
My proximity sensor is non-functional.
I have confirmed via the SMMI test that it doesn't react at all at any of the distances.
I believe this has been the case since the latest update.
screenshot-20220422-102559217-281-29.jpg

Damn frustrating when the phone starts doing whatever as it touches your ear/face during a phonecall...

Any advice?
36 REPLIES 36

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
I changed the theme to dark. Nothing helped, the screen still turning on by itself during a call.

Reuven_1
Star II
Reuven_1

1.     Model Name: ZenFone 8

2.     Firmware Version: A12 (M3.13.24.66-Sake_0000110)

3.     Rooted or not: Not rooted

(possible partial solution)

In my ZenFone 8 I also have had a problem with proximity during phone calls, but choosing "Dark Theme" in the "System color scheme" and causing some apps being in a "dark mode" sufficiently decreased the problem appearance.

Rationale:

The typical proximity sensor has the spectral sensitivity to external light as the following:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031231/uploads/BBM4JDQXOQL2/images2-facn-intersil01-nov2011.gif

As we may see, the spectral peak at 600nm region and IR part are very sufficient when forming the ALS reaction.

An OLED elements of the ZenFone 8 screen probably have the typical irradiation spectrum:

white-oled-vs-white-led-emission-spectra.png

White OLED vs white LED emission spectra. Actually irradiation spectra of OLED and sensitivity spectra of proximity sensor are very similar.

In an active (bright) mode the spectral maxima of OLED irradiation is in a region of 600nm, like a local maxima of ALS sensitivity in the proximity sensor. It may disturb an appropriate reaction of proximity sensor when you get your phone close to ear. When getting the phone closer to head, a screen light is partially reflected from the head/ear back to proximity sensor and may be mistakenly interpreted like some non-proximal phone condition.

In my device a distance of proximity switching is about 20mm, so it may be an answer to questions regarding an optimal position of the phone during the call.

View post
ALL THIS WAS USELESS... 😫

Tis is a simple and accessible solution:
The free Google Play app "Call Proximity Sensor Fix" completely solves the problem for call.
screenshot-2022-06-06-191151.png

Reuven_1
Star II
The simple and accessible solution:
The free Google Play app "Call Proximity Sensor Fix" completely solves the problem

dron39
Rising Star II
Reuven_1

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/214724#Comment_214724

To my sorry, today my proximity distance got completely zero. No blocking at a call. Seems I will follow your screen replacing experience. 🙄

View post
Well. Do you mean it doesn't work at all? Try to download some software from Play Market and check your proximity test of how far it switches from any object in front of proximity sensor.

dron39
Rising Star II
Reuven_1

The simple and accessible solution:

The free Google Play app "Call Proximity Sensor Fix" completely solves the problem

View post
Thanks for sharing it with us! But I guess it's not good solution as it should be always enabled and run in background...
Hope Asus will fix it. I clearly remember that it was much better in my case on Android 11. I had speaker mode echo problem bfore A12 arrived and sent phone to service center for repair. They also replaced screen (do not ask me why 🙂 I don't know). After that I got my phone with A12 and started to experience this problem with proximity sensor. 😞