Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 Proximity Sensor

immelmanj
Star I
Hi,
My proximity sensor is non-functional.
I have confirmed via the SMMI test that it doesn't react at all at any of the distances.
I believe this has been the case since the latest update.
screenshot-20220422-102559217-281-29.jpg

Damn frustrating when the phone starts doing whatever as it touches your ear/face during a phonecall...

Any advice?
36 REPLIES 36

StealthRequiem
Rising Star I
I decided not to upgrade my 2nd Zenfone 8 to Android 12 because of this bug. I would not recommend anyone install Android 12 until this is fixed. It makes using the Zenfone for actual phone calls very awkward and frustrating, and potentially embarrassing or even dangerous.

Jjarek23
Rising Star I
I refresh the topic. It will not close without a solution.

Reuven_1
Star II
Model Name: ZenFone 8
Firmware Version: A12 (M3.13.24.66-Sake_0000110)
Rooted or not: Not rooted
(possible partial solution)
In my ZenFone 8 I also have had a problems with proximity during the calls, but choosing "Dark Theme" in the "System color scheme" and causing some apps being in a "dark mode" sufficiently decreased the problem appearance.
Rationale:
The typical proximity sensor has the spectral sensitivity to external light as the following:
images2-facn-intersil01-nov2011.gif
As we may see, the spectral peak at 600nm region and IR part are very sufficient when forming the ALS reaction.
The OLED elements of the ZenFone 8 screen probably have the typical irradiation spectrum:
white-oled-vs-white-led-emission-spectra.png
White OLED vs white LED emission spectra
As we may see, in active mode the spectral maxima of OLED irradiation is in a region of 600nm, like a local maxima of ALS sensitivity in the proximity sensor. It may disturb an appropriate reaction of proximity sensor when you get your phone close to ear. The screen light reflected from the head / ear to ALS may be mistakenly interpreted like some state without proximity conditions.
In my device the distance of proximity switching is about 20mm, so it may be an answer to questions regarding an optimal position of the phone during the call.

dron39
Rising Star II
>>In my device a distance of proximity switching is about 20mm
It seems to be so short. Even my phone has 30mm after replace of the display (I guess along with that module). But before that I had something about 5cm and no problems with proximity sensor at all.
>>In my ZenFone 8 I also have had a problem with proximity during phone calls, but choosing "Dark Theme" in the "System color scheme" and causing some apps being in a "dark mode" sufficiently decreased the problem appearance.
Good to know that it helped. But I do not like dark color mode. And why there are problems in phone app when it's always in dark mode even that whole system - white? 🙂

Reuven_1
Star II
dron39

>>In my device a distance of proximity switching is about 20mm

It seems to be so short. Even my phone has 30mm after replace of the display (I guess along with that module). But before that I had something about 5cm and no problems with proximity sensor at all.

>>In my ZenFone 8 I also have had a problem with proximity during phone calls, but choosing "Dark Theme" in the "System color scheme" and causing some apps being in a "dark mode" sufficiently decreased the problem appearance.

Good to know that it helped. But I do not like dark color mode. And why there are problems in phone app when it's always in dark mode even that whole system - white? 🙂

View post
To my sorry, today my proximity distance got completely zero. No blocking at a call. Seems I will follow your screen replacing experience. 🙄