This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Asus ROG Strix Scar 17 (2022) no Thunderbolt Controller?

System: Asus ROG Strix Scar 17 (2022)
Battery or AC: Both
Model: G733Zw-DS94
========================
Detailed description:
Hey All!
Just received the new Strix Scar 17 gaming laptop, and loving it so far, but I'm confused on one aspect. I have a Thunderbolt 4 docking station, and on the technical specs for this laptop, it states it has a Thunderbolt 4 port, which led to the belief it had a Thunderbolt 4 controller.
However, there doesn't appear to be an actual Thunderbolt 4 controller on this laptop. When I connect the Thunderbolt 4 dock to the Thunderbolt 4 port, it connects as a "USB4" hub device. It works wonderfully since I do appear to be getting 20 Gbps+, but it seems odd that there isn't an actual Thunderbolt 4 controller, but that instead, Thunderbolt 4 devices are "supported" by being handled as USB4 devices.
There's also no Thunderbolt driver or software on the Asus support site for this model.
Not sure if anyone has any experience with this or if there is something I'm missing?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi there,
From the spec, the port isn't Thunderbolt 4 controller but support high transfort rate.
image.png
Thank you.

Thank you so much!
So it sounds like it's not actually a Thunderbolt 4 port, but just supporting Thunderbolt 4 devices via that port over a USB4 connection? Do you know if it's the USB4 20 Gbps standard or the USB4 40 Gbps standard? I'm assuming the latter, given the 40 Gbps is the Thunderbolt 4 speed, but was hoping to verify since I don't want to inadvertently overload my Thunderbolt 4 dock 🙂
Thanks again!

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi there,
The port support 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 4 speed.
Thank you.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.