This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for BIOS update to allow disabling fTPM?

Hamstray
Rising Star I
System: Windows 10 64-bit
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zephyrus G15 GA503QS
Frequency of occurrence: Random
Reset OS: Too Many Times
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Hello, since AMD have officially acknowledged the fTPM stutter issues that have been plaguing me since getting my laptop, would it be possible for ASUS to release a new version of my laptop's BIOS that allows me to disable fTPM until and if an actual fix arrives? I know AMD claims to have something in the works but it still requires waiting at least until May, and even then it might not even work in the end. In any case I'd like to be able to disable fTPM, I don't think it's right to force it on me.
Unfortunately the support in my country is a complete travesty (they still ignore the fTPM issue even though it's been in news media and AMD themselves said the issue exists, in fact before the issue got official recognition they went as far as trying to convince me that 1. my laptop doesn't have any TPM and 2. that AMD chipsets don't support TPM in general) so I can't get any assistance from them.
89 REPLIES 89

GreyWind
Star II
Hey Hamstray,
I have the asus G15 3070 (GA503QR) and i have the stuttering issue also. i tried everything i found on reddit: deleting a particular folder from armory crate, changing the wireless power saving mode editing the register to no avail. the problem persisted horribly and then is when i found out about this fTPM issue that AMD has acknowledged in an statement. It seems they won't have the code ready until May but here is something else i tried and it has improved the stuttering (particularly while on battery and simple tasks like writing code and listening to music). download the latest mediatek card drivers from here (search google: 'asus forum mediatek driver' and click on the rog asus forum link to find the latest [this forum won't let me post the link as a new user]), then delete the ones installed in your G15 including previously saved drivers(there is an option to 'check' while you are uninstalling) and then install the one you downloaded from the ROG forum. This problems seems related to some sort of latency issue between the processor and the operating system using fTPM which is also aggraviated by really bad drivers from mediatek part. This will not solve the stuttering during demanding games since i still experience them while playing Jedi Fallen Order but at least it will hopefully address the absurd stuttering during video and music playback particularly on battery. This is still present while on AC power and using Zoom with screen sharing, the processor can't handle the load with the timings and starts stuttering, you can go into your Nvidia settings and select dGPU to execute Zoom and/or any other application you use and think your proocessor is struggling with.
I stand with you on this issue and i hope ASUS listens to our requests and implements a solution once AMD provides their own to all vendors. This is a pretty widespread issue and not only on this laptop but for many desktop users as well.
btw, are u also experiencing the random touchpad lag?? like 1 sec behind movement?
Cheers

Hamstray
Rising Star I
Thanks for the suggestion, though I'm just gonna keep updating my drivers through MyASUS/Windows Update for now. ASUS likes to blame these issues on my drivers not being up-to-date or using the wrong version even though I've always made sure to get the latest as I do above, last thing I need is for them to not be lying in one case.
As for touchpad lag, no clue, I use a mouse all the time. Also my stuttering is completely random and unrelated to computer load. I've played demanding games for hours without seeing a hitch at times, meanwhile suffering multiple stutters as I watched youtube videos in one day (though multiple stutters in one day has been rare in general).

Hamstray
Rising Star I
So it's nearing mid-May and I've seen talk of beta versions of BIOS that include the AMD fix for the fTPM issue. Did AMD send out the fix and ASUS started incorporating it in new BIOS? And when can we expect to see it in the BIOS for our laptops?
Also I once again want to know why you don't want to allow us to disable fTPM completely rather than hang our hopes on AMD's attempts at fixing the issue. I've heard they used to have some kind of issue with their USB ports that after a long time of ignoring they finally claimed they fixed it with some new update, then ignored any future complaints over the same issue because they supposedly fixed it. I don't want this to possibly happen to me too with this fTPM issue.

Hamstray
Rising Star I
I see now that the awful service I got in my country is simply them following the international ASUS rulebook, and you're in the 'wait for 2 requests for updates before responding' phase here as well. Cool.
So I repeat - I want a status update concerning a laptop BIOS patch implementing AMD's attempted fixing of the fTPM stutter, and I also want an explanation as to why ASUS doesn't want to let me disable fTPM

GEEK_ASUS
Rising Star II
Hi there,
I am asking our team to check with BIOS team when we can get the update BIOS.
When I get the confirm release schedule, I will let you know.
Sorry for the inconvinience.
Thank you.