This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I add widgets on third-party launchers with Android 12

NTICompass
Star II
I just got a Zenfone 8, and I updated it to Android 12 (UL-I006D-ASUS-31.1010.0410.43-1.1.25-2202-user.zip). I installed Nova Launcher, and I cannot widgets.
Video: drive.google.com/file/d/10N5oYJ3oG_wWFjtLtrKT5C0awkV49P75/view?usp=sharing
Looking at Nova's logs, I see:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to read from field 'com.android.server.appwidget.AppWidgetServiceImpl$ProviderId com.android.server.appwidget.AppWidgetServiceImpl$Provider.id' on a null object reference
So, it seems ASUS's Android 12 build is missing something from its settings app.
Does anyone else have an issue adding widgets? I tried Lawnchair and have the same issue. ASUS Launcher obviously works fine.
I should probably note that my phone is rooted, but that shouldn't matter, right?
17 REPLIES 17

Mystery_Mart
Star II
Me too! Rog Phone 5. All third party launchers suffer the same problem when adding widgets. Most require a phone reboot to by pass issues. Indeed, as previously mentioned, the pop up that normally appears to create widgets on first use which has always been seen on previous Android versions was missing on Android 12. Any chance of a fix?

NTICompass
Star II
I just updated to 31.1010.0410.61 and now the widgets work!
I had to manually download the ZIP file from www.asus.com/us/Mobile/Phones/ZenFone/Zenfone-8/HelpDesk_Download/ and then rename it to UL-I006D-ASUS-31.1010.0410.61-1.1.25-2204-user.zip
Then after a reboot, the update was detected and installed. After the update was installed, I opened Magisk and installed to the "inactive slot (after OTA)."
Then when the phone booted into the new update, the widgets worked! I tried, and got the "do you want to add widgets" dialog and it all worked 🙂

asrulz
Star II
The latest firmware update solve this issue for me. Now I can add widgets to my 3rd party launcher.

Mystery_Mart
Star II
I'm up to date with the latest firmware and it hasn't sorted out my problem!

NTICompass
Star II
Mystery Mart

I'm up to date with the latest firmware and it hasn't sorted out my problem!

View post
I'm not exactly sure what fixed my issue, other than just installing the update.
So, I'm not sure why it works or doesn't work.