This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook 14 oled fan speeds up and cpu frequency runs high in sleep mode.

Thesheep
Star I
System: Windows 11
Battery or AC:
Model: UX3402, 12th Gen Intel
Frequency of occurrence: Every time the laptop goes to sleep or screen turns off.
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:I recently bought the new zenbook 14 oled with 12th gen i7 cpu. I set the fan mode to quiet in MYASUS and the fan is pretty quiet (~2500 rpm or below according to MYASUS) when watching youtube and running simple programs.

But when the laptop is idle and the screen turns off, the fan speeds up (to over 4000 rpm) and cpu frequency goes up to above 3000 MHz. I notice this because the laptop becomes noisy a minute after the screen turns off. And the fan and cpu data was obtained from MYASUS immediately after the laptop becomes active again.

The fan never slows down after the laptop is in sleep mode for a long time, and it will only slow down as the laptop becomes active again. I have carefully checked all running programs in the background and did not notice any suspicious process.

The laptop is new and the drivers are up to date. I have tried resetting power options / MYASUS settings / system settings but nothing worked. I wonder if there's an issue in the fan/cpu control software.
17 REPLIES 17

Falcon_ASUS
Thesheep

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/211104#Comment_211104

Hello, please find the information below:

1. Model name: Zenbook UX3402ZA_UX3402ZA
  2. System name: Windows 11 home 64 bit 10.0.22000
  3. BIOS version: UX3402ZA.301
  4. MyAsus app version: 3.1.3.0

I don't think it's caused by background applications because when the laptop sleeps, the cpu % util remains low and the tempeture of the laptop is not high at all.

Also, I have been watching the task manager before and after sleep but did not notice any suspicious app.

Thank you for your help.

View post
@Thesheep
I will forward the information to the relevant department. We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

Thesheep
Star I
Falcon_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/211117#Comment_211117

@Thesheep

I will forward the information to the relevant department. We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

View post
Thank you Falcon!

Falcon_ASUS
Thesheep

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/211223#Comment_211223

Thank you Falcon!

View post
@Thesheep
I have sent you a message, please check.
Thank you.

hpad
Star I
Mine does the same exact thing! UX3402ZA model from BestBuy the I5 one. This happenes randomly. The BIOS is really messed up on mine not sure if its the cause of the fan issue or not but thats the least of my problems right now.

Mine did this before doing anything just the copy of windows it came with and nothing else done to it.

Falcon_ASUS
Hi all
We expect to fix this in BIOS 304. (Expected completion time is end of May)
We will reply to you immediately if there is any update.
Thank you.