JebaitedbyROG
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ASUS ROG PHONE 5S
Firmware Version: .226
Rooted or not: Not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: 1-2 moths interval
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Genshin Impact
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have a 6 month old ROG 5S and I have its Mobo replaced 3 times already. All due to the same issue sudden shutdown while playing Genshin Impact.
1st time - I set the highest graphics settings so I guess that's my bad
2nd time - 60 Fps with a mix of high and medium graphics settings
3rd time - 60 Fps with all medium graphics settings
I actually bought this phone mainly to play genshin impact in 60fps but I can't even maintain 50 Fps. It's kinda depressing tbh.
I read some discussions about how after the android 12 software update the performance was severely downgraded. Now I'm not sure if I can continue playing the game with this phone anymore.
8 REPLIES 8

FunBike31
Community Legend I
I hope you will never be a witness in a criminal case because between the false information, the omissions and the lack of relation between the facts an unfortunate innocent would spend long years in prison
a) Rog 5S and firmware .226, not possible
b) "Mobo replaced 3 times already" and "All due to the same issue sudden shutdown while playing Genshin Impact."
It's a bit drastic to replace a motherboard every time software crashes or crashes a phone
b') 3 motherboard replacements and you have just posted for the first time in an official forum, it's the first time I've seen this in +10 years, all brands combined.
b') clearly, what was the smartphone like after this shutdown and of course what was the temperature before the shutdown
c) Genshin Impact and FPS
No indication of the settings and especially of the important points, Ambient temperature, use of a fan, duration of the gaming session, temperature indicated by the smartphone, use of a charger or not during the game, normal or in bypass if this was the case.
No smartphone with 888+ can sustain 60 fps with Genshin Impact in a +25° room for 30 min without a very efficient fan.
You may need to revise your post to provide the correct information.

JebaitedbyROG
Star II
I hope you will never be a witness in a criminal case because between the false information, the omissions and the lack of relation between the facts an unfortunate innocent would spend long years in prison
a) Rog 5S and firmware .226, not possible
- my bad it's 31.0810.1226.67
screenshot-20220424-215123793.jpg

b) "Mobo replaced 3 times already" and "All due to the same issue sudden shutdown while playing Genshin Impact."
It's a bit drastic to replace a motherboard every time software crashes or crashes a phone
- I brought the phone in the service center 3 times due to sudden shutdown, and they said they replaced Mobo. I wouldn't lie about that
- when the phone suddenly shutdown I was never able to turn it ON again
b') 3 motherboard replacements and you have just posted for the first time in an official forum, it's the first time I've seen this in +10 years, all brands combined.
- I have no gains for falsifying any statements regarding this issue, and the fact that I posted in the official forum is an indication that I'm being honest here. At least for me.
b') clearly, what was the smartphone like after this shutdown and of course what was the temperature before the shutdown
- temp ranges from 39° to 45° with aeroactice cooler on and 18° room temp.
- unfortunately I cannot provide the temps before I sent the phone to the service center last time, they did not asked for it that's why.
- I don't paly while charging and I don't use bypass charging
c) Genshin Impact and FPS
No indication of the settings and especially of the important points, Ambient temperature, use of a fan, duration of the gaming session, temperature indicated by the smartphone, use of a charger or not during the game, normal or in bypass if this was the case.
- here are my graphics settings
2nd time sudden shutdown
screenshot-20220424-230544134.jpg
screenshot-20220424-230548310.jpg
screenshot-20220424-230605867.jpg
screenshot-20220424-230609459.jpg
The last 2 were tthe graphics settings for the 3rd time the phone died
No smartphone with 888+ can sustain 60fps with Genshin Impact in a +25° room for 30 min without a very efficient fan.
You may need to revise your post to provide the correct information.

Why so hostile?

FunBike31
Community Legend I
I'm not hostile but without rushing people they never bother to give useful information and humor in my native language after translation into English must sound different 😞

So in summary, Asus changed the motherboard 3 times because the device turned off while playing 'without being able to turn it back on' with normal settings and environmental conditions, I also assume that the first time and maybe the second you had to be still in Android 11, so no link with Android 12.
Posting only after the 3rd change of motherboard has nothing to do with a suspicion of tampering, it's just a shame for you because I think that if you want an extension of warranty or a change of phone it will be easier if the moderators had followed your big bad luck, it is certainly not too late, I hope for you that they will take the file in hand.
With the information you have given I think you have come across a bad copy of Rog 5s, there is no similar case where Genshin Impact will cause the motherboard to be destroyed, 45° causes some FPS drops at worst.

JebaitedbyROG
Star II
The phone I have now is actually already a replacement from ASUS.
With the first unit I bought, I encountered the following:
1. Sudden shutdown while playing game
2. Abnormal battery display (always 81%)
3. Wi-Fi and hotspot not working after a sudden shutdown
These happened all within 2 months of usage.

After that they gave me a replacement phone which is the one I have now.
Though 2 months later it suddenly shutdown and won't power ON afterwards.
I brought the phone to the service center after 3 days they gave me the phone and said they replaced the mobo.
Then after a month the same thing happened, and they said they replaced the mobo again.
And just last week I picked-up my phone from the service center (brought it there due to same issue), and they said they replaced the mobo again.

If what you said is true then that means they gave me a bad copy of ROG 5S as a replacement for a bad copy.
Damn, WTH is this luck? LMAO
I don't know anymore, the issue only happens while playing genshin. It’s frustrating.

BTW, i just upgraded to A12 last week (All 3 mobo replacement is done with A11) when i received the phone from the service center.
after that I also experience severe frame drops while playing. I reached 18FPS while fighting a big group of enemies.
With A11 FPS only drops to 40FPS even with 45˚ temp.