This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 12 RAM usage & app killing

StealthRequiem
Rising Star I
I've noticed in Mobile Manager that A12 is using less RAM than A11. I can tell from launch times that it's also not holding apps in memory for as long. I haven't seen A12 go above 4.5 GB while A11 was always around 6.5 GB.
Is this just the way A12 works or is there a setting to keep the apps alive for longer? High performance system mode doesn't seem to make a difference, nor does the background app management toggle in battery settings. I have an 8GB model and curious to know the RAM usage for 16GB users.
8 REPLIES 8

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II
They do it on purpose, they called it "more efficient RAM usage" lol

StealthRequiem
Rising Star I
Another observation related to app closing - if I close or minimize an app with a back gesture, the app seems to be terminated and takes longer to reopen. If I minimize with an upward swipe, the app remains live and will reopen instantly. I'm not sure whether this is working as intended. I guess I may have got into a bad habit of exiting an app using a back gesture from the side edge.

StealthRequiem
Rising Star I
StealthRequiem

Another observation related to app closing - if I close or minimize an app with a back gesture, the app seems to be terminated and takes longer to reopen. If I minimize with an upward swipe, the app remains live and will reopen instantly. I'm not sure whether this is working as intended. I guess I may have got into a bad habit of exiting an app using a back gesture from the side edge.

View post
I've tested further with a 2nd Zenfone 8 in Android 11 and this behavior is the same in 11, just not as noticeable.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.